Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:24 AM
Find More Posts by 3DNater
3d NOOBular
I love parallel charging and my opinion about charging at 1c is that any gain you get in extended pack life is quickly diminishing. I doubt anyone is going to be able to measure a material difference in performance between a pack that is charged at 1c vs. 2c.

I have no argument against liking to know how much you put back into each pack though. I worry sometimes that I might be losing touch with how some of my packs might be doing. I just don't have time to obsess over it though. That is one reason I love the A9 so much. The voltage telemetry is really valuable in cases where a lipo may be getting really tired without you noticing it. Just my opinion.
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:54 AM
Find More Posts by turnerm
Gone Huckin'
Parallel charging is probably the best investment I've made in this hobby yet. I usually just charge at 2c but sometimes I go a little higher if I'm in a hurry. But nothing beats being able to charge 6 of my 4s batteries in 20-30 minutes. With my old charging setup that would've taken me all night.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:37 AM
Find More Posts by harddrive8
Nothin Ventured, Nothin Gained
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm View Post
Parallel charging is probably the best investment I've made in this hobby yet. I usually just charge at 2c but sometimes I go a little higher if I'm in a hurry. But nothing beats being able to charge 6 of my 4s batteries in 20-30 minutes. With my old charging setup that would've taken me all night.
+1. Between the PL8 and paraboards I've picked up, it makes charging a much easier process to bear. I've gotten almost all my batteries converted to Sky and Gens Lipos so I can charge a 3C and 5C. It's nice to know that I can throw batteries on the charge and by the time I can get the plane(s) loaded up and ready to go, my batteries will be charged to 100% from storage charge (3.8V/cell).

I just wish I would have known that I was going to want this charger when I started this hobby instead of spending money on other chargers to advance to this level.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:17 AM
Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by harddrive8 View Post
+1. Between the PL8 and paraboards I've picked up, it makes charging a much easier process to bear. I've gotten almost all my batteries converted to Sky and Gens Lipos so I can charge a 3C and 5C. It's nice to know that I can throw batteries on the charge and by the time I can get the plane(s) loaded up and ready to go, my batteries will be charged to 100% from storage charge (3.8V/cell).

I just wish I would have known that I was going to want this charger when I started this hobby instead of spending money on other chargers to advance to this level.
+1 to that. I think that I was fortunate...I started with a simple 50W charger and (thanks to this thread and other 3DHS threads) was able to determine a long range vision for a charging system, and then a fellow Fanatic offered a great deal on a i306b charger and a 24v power supply. With this system and a PL8, I'm good to go for quite a while.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 11:19 AM
Find More Posts by turnerm
Gone Huckin'
Quote:

I know what you mean. It's hard to imagine when getting into the hobby that you'll eventually want a charging setup like that or that you'll eventually be buying a 71" (or bigger) aircraft isn't it?

I always try to tell people to try and do it right from the get go but I know from personal experience that that's just know how it works... I've wasted a lot of money this way. Well... I woudln't say I've wasted it because I've had a blast and I'm able to sell most of my used stuff anyway but it would've been much more efficient if I had just gone down the right path from the beginning.

But it's also hard as a beginner to wrap your brain around investing in something other than a new plane. Who wants to spend $500 on a charging setup when you can just buy a new plane with that money??
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:01 PM
Find More Posts by 3DNater
3d NOOBular
I just had this charger conversation with my brother that is just learning on his first trainer. I told him he's going to need a decent charger and it would be nice to at least jump straight to a 200-300 watt charger to start with rather than the cheaper 50w chargers available. He just can't stand to spend that cash on a better system so rather than push him I'll just help him sell his used stuff lol.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:05 PM
Find More Posts by davebloomer
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
u can get a 10A 200 watt charger from hobbypartz for 50 bucks. I charged a lot of batteries on that thing before I spilled laundry soap in it.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:30 PM
Find More Posts by keithy4129
Quote:

+1 It is always better to go with the best from the start (if you can), i have bought two or three chargers and none of those were hobbyking cheapies, basically a waste of money now, however i still use my hyperion duo 3 from time to time
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:40 PM
Find More Posts by aronph
TEAM HILLBILLY
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
u can get a 10A 200 watt charger from hobbypartz for 50 bucks. I charged a lot of batteries on that thing before I spilled laundry soap in it.
i dont recommend that technique of cleaning chargers
Old Mar 29, 2012, 01:52 PM
Find More Posts by theKM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
i dont recommend that technique of cleaning chargers
blue dawn would be much more effective...
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updated Hatcam - Apr2016
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:19 PM
Find More Posts by davebloomer
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM View Post
blue dawn would be much more effective...
ill try this with my new icharger and report back.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:41 PM
Find More Posts by rcl_al
Anybody know why the Buck Huck thread closed??
Old Mar 29, 2012, 02:43 PM
Find More Posts by SnowDog1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcl_al View Post
Anybody know why the Buck Huck thread closed??
yep - the owner of the thread (Tim Semerano) closed it.

As to why, well, the only real answer there is that you would have to ask Tim.

I think a new thread was started just yesterday.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1622551
Old Mar 29, 2012, 03:21 PM
Find More Posts by cmala
customstandoffs
km

How many flights on the GT-33?

Has the engine stopped running yet without you commanding it to do so?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:05 PM
Find More Posts by theKM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
km

How many flights on the GT-33?

Has the engine stopped running yet without you commanding it to do so?
only once... in an upline, wasn't rich enough... tweaked after landing, hasn't quit since. I do need to get a more ideal prop on it though and properly tune it with that... I haven't done much for the low-end needle...
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Updated Hatcam - Apr2016