Check out my NEW how to BLOG for beginners - RC Groups
Feb 06, 2012, 06:30 PM
Alert

Check out my NEW how to BLOG for beginners

Hey,
I’m new as well, I only been doing this for about a few months…The forums and weekly videos on youtube are a big help. However for a newbie, sometimes the forum are hard to navigate, and they still leave you with a lot of the same questions. Just little things that the expert forum guys (or senior members...lol) forget to mention...like that fact that there is soldering involved in make your own plane, helpful ways to save money,....etc...I working on my FIRST scratch build now…hope to have it done in the next month…If your a newbie (or even an "senior member", welling to offer some advice)...add me as a friend or contact, and feel free to message me, we can keep each other posted on our progress…

I actually just put up a FREE BLOG…check it out…
"The idea is to collect everything, whether is be from word of mouth, my own mistakes ( I mean expericenes...lol), and of course the very helpful forum stuff, in one place and in a very organized and intuitive fashion. This is my journey in rc flying, and I think I'm in it for the long haul (yup got bit by the bug...lol), my hope is that we can learn together and from each other..."

I plan on puting up everything I learned up on there,..and may be even a build video of my first build the F22 V2…Check it out…and ,subscribe, leave comments, questions, and lets GO!!!!

I’m learning just like you and created this page to have a small community of newbies. So we can learn from eachothers mistakes…I mean experiences…lol. (geez i keep doing that)

This is one of my first video's HOW TO REPAIR YOUR HAWK SKY...CHECK IT OUT
How to Repair Your Hawk Sky (5 min 41 sec)

CeeJaySlyFly, (Learning is all the fun) I'm new just like you!!!
-Learning to fly in between Med School classes...
"2day's Mistakes = 2morrow's Experience"
Check my youtube page, with builds, projects, reviews: Learn with me
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qhZUs...05sWQs8T-Mbq_n
Everything you need to know BLOG: www.rcslyfly.blogspot.com/
Feel free....to message me...(Ha, that rhymed.)
Last edited by ceejayslyfly; Feb 06, 2012 at 07:22 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 06, 2012, 07:23 PM
Be sure to tell me what you think...Do you like, does it suck, Any comments are welcome
Feb 07, 2012, 11:29 PM
what new guys?
Feb 10, 2012, 10:35 AM
I think a Slow stick is a good trainer as well. Or maybe a Hawk Sky...your gonna want something that can take crashes well and is easy to repair

I’m new as well, I only been doing this for about a few months…The forums and weekly videos on youtube are a big help. However for a newbie, sometimes the forum are hard to navigate, and they still leave you with a lot of the same questions. Just little things that the expert forum guys (or senior members...lol) forget to mention...like that fact that there is soldering involved in make your own plane, helpful ways to save money,....etc...I working on my FIRST scratch build now…hope to have it done in the next month…If your a newbie (or even an "senior member", welling to offer some advice)...add me as a friend or contact, and feel free to message me, we can keep each other posted on our progress…

I actually just put up a FREE BLOG…check it out…
"The idea is to collect everything, whether is be from word of mouth, my own mistakes ( I mean expericenes...lol), and of course the very helpful forum stuff, in one place and in a very organized and intuitive fashion. This is my journey in rc flying, and I think I'm in it for the long haul (yup got bit by the bug...lol), my hope is that we can learn together and from each other..."

I plan on puting up everything I learned up on there,..and may be even a build video of my first build the F22 V2…Check it out…and ,subscribe, leave comments, questions, and lets GO!!!!

I’m learning just like you and created this page to have a small community of newbies. So we can learn from eachothers mistakes…I mean experiences…lol. (geez i keep doing that)

Everything you need to know BLOG: www.rcslyfly.blogspot.com/
Feb 10, 2012, 12:50 PM
i like what I see! I'm also new to planes, I'm a heli guy. Keep it up and good luck in med school!!
Feb 10, 2012, 12:55 PM
Wake up, feel pulse, be happy!
Quote:
Isn't it more efficient to be involved in a large community of experts so you can learn from their mistakes and avoid making them altogether?

I know where you can find one
Feb 10, 2012, 06:59 PM
Rocket Programmer
Butane... I'm not calling you by your chemical name... you are very correct. However - ignorance is bliss - our OP has undertaken an impossible task. He just doesn't know it yet. It is fun to be new... but then reality sets in.

Here's my blog - started it a few days after getting my first plane - with the same idea in mind. However, over time it's become less of a "everything you need" blog, and more of a "things I think you need" blog... selfish I know, but with the blog, and the Youtube channel, I'm pulling down about $200 a year in Adsense money, and helping a lot of folks out at the same time - win-win situation for me. I put effort where I want to put effort, on the things I think are important, and the blaisé can be left to the forums.

http://jazzyflight.blogspot.com/
Feb 10, 2012, 07:29 PM
Well, sharing your experiences are always a good thing.. The internet works in funny ways - sometimes you'll show up in someone's search and be useful to someone else. That is why I always hate the people who post the same sort of problem that I was googling, but then post: "Hey guys, nevermind, I found the solution on my own. Thanks anyways." ... and they never share how they learned anything.

Honestly, I wish the clubs did a better a job of putting information online. All the local clubs have the sorriest web pages I've ever seen, with next to no information on them. Its almost embarrassing.
Feb 10, 2012, 09:15 PM
Rocket Programmer
OMG... I know, dude, isn't it horrible?! Sheesh... I will come right out and say that I think it's because the established gentry in this hobby are dinosaurs... When I proposed to the board that we take dues through PayPal, you would have thought I was proposing to rob Fort Knox or something... they didn't get it, at all.

I've been a programmer for 27 years now, and I'm ashamed of the web sites of our local clubs. The only one I like is ours, actually... we have a live weather station and web cam, we put up the newsletters (which are also better than most I've seen), we have a nice calendar page, all the info you need is pretty obvious, etc, etc...

But...I recently received an email from another local club, and it was advertising their biggest fund raising event of the year. In the email was a description of how to find the page with the information about the event. No links - a "click here then click there" list of damn instructions! Not even an attachment of the flyer or anything. It's heinous! They do this for their biggest fundraiser of the whole year?! The event that keeps them viable?! Reason? FLASH website!?!?! Where is the facepalm smiley

I won't give you their link, but I'll give you ours... now if the AMA could just make me a membership verification web service like we needed 5 years ago... well I can dream, right?

http://www.arvadamodelers.com/
Feb 11, 2012, 12:53 AM
Thanks for the advice guys, check out the blog and please subscribe, it would but great to have one of you expert guys checking in on the blog ever now and then, to make sure he info on it is right....Everything you need to know BLOG: www.rcslyfly.blogspot.com/
Feb 11, 2012, 04:31 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501
OMG... I know, dude, isn't it horrible?! Sheesh... I will come right out and say that I think it's because the established gentry in this hobby are dinosaurs... When I proposed to the board that we take dues through PayPal, you would have thought I was proposing to rob Fort Knox or something... they didn't get it, at all.

I've been a programmer for 27 years now, and I'm ashamed of the web sites of our local clubs. The only one I like is ours, actually... we have a live weather station and web cam, we put up the newsletters (which are also better than most I've seen), we have a nice calendar page, all the info you need is pretty obvious, etc, etc...

But...I recently received an email from another local club, and it was advertising their biggest fund raising event of the year. In the email was a description of how to find the page with the information about the event. No links - a "click here then click there" list of damn instructions! Not even an attachment of the flyer or anything. It's heinous! They do this for their biggest fundraiser of the whole year?! The event that keeps them viable?! Reason? FLASH website!?!?! Where is the facepalm smiley

I won't give you their link, but I'll give you ours... now if the AMA could just make me a membership verification web service like we needed 5 years ago... well I can dream, right?

http://www.arvadamodelers.com/
haha.. hey, look at that... a club website that uses php instead of static html.. its the first Ive seen. There is even a message board.. not bad..

I agree though, the percentage of seniors isn't really helping us on the technological end.. Some of these sites barely even have any contact information. One of my local clubs was actually blacklisted by OpenDNS as a phishing site, since they seem to have been compromised.... and it stayedl ike that for about 8 months or so... . That sort of blows my mind..
Feb 11, 2012, 10:50 AM
Rocket Programmer
Quote:
Originally Posted by ceejayslyfly
Thanks for the advice guys, check out the blog and please subscribe, it would but great to have one of you expert guys checking in on the blog ever now and then, to make sure he info on it is right....Everything you need to know BLOG: www.rcslyfly.blogspot.com/
You might want to consider a fluid layout, for all the web programmers out there who have big screens

Otherwise it looks good, you got your Adsense working and the articles are there. I don't like your font choices, but you can work on being more consistent in the future. Good start !
Feb 13, 2012, 12:15 AM
not angry... just crazy

video error

Dude I aint the brightest crayolla in the box... But I think your prop is on backwards. Gonna start a scratchbuilt? Might want to try the readyboard at dollar tree store, its only a buck a sheet. Might want to try gorilla glue the white stuff its not as heavy as hot glue (better than hot glue I think).
Know what you feel about being a noob, been away for 40 years just now picking up this hobby again. I will follow this thread to see how your doingm. Good luck Ern

PS continue the journey here you will get a big following and a BUNCH of help (or more opinions anyway lol) peace out
Feb 13, 2012, 12:26 AM
not angry... just crazy
Lol... My bad... Its a pusher. Got distracted from the rest of the video.
Told ya... Not the brightest crayola
Feb 13, 2012, 11:07 AM
yeah its a pusher...no worries, you not the first one who miss it...lol...
If you get a chance check out the blog, and become a member, It would be great to have someone a little more expreience checking in every now and then to correct my mistakes...

Just added a new entry...
To help folk pick an Transmitter... www.rcslyfly.blogspot.com