Jul 25, 2012, 07:27 PM
Mongo like wind. Wind Good.
Thread OP
More pictures of the body with the eyes in. The eyes give it somewhat life-like qualities.

Scares the cat where he froze when he saw it sitting on the floor. Had a bit of a stare down going on. Funny to watch!
Last edited by V1VrV2; Jul 25, 2012 at 07:52 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 25, 2012, 07:31 PM
Very neat body. And the eyes are stunning.
Jul 25, 2012, 08:15 PM
Egads! It's a GIRL!
Wonderful! Too cute about the cat. You know it looks good if you freak out the cat.
Jul 26, 2012, 04:11 AM
Thread OP
Hey, check this out.

Unbelievable! These cats could be lunch!

My Cats Hanging Out with the Eagles (1 min 17 sec)
Last edited by V1VrV2; Aug 06, 2012 at 10:00 AM.
Jul 26, 2012, 04:46 AM
DIY Mania from Taiwan
Nice cats,nice eagles and nice vid,totally awesome
thanks for sharing
best regards
Sam
Aug 02, 2012, 08:54 AM

Eagle update ?

I have been watching this, any updates?

Al
Aug 02, 2012, 10:35 AM
Thread OP
Making molds right now.

I will post pix soon. The parting planes are a bit complex as the body is very unconventional and has alot of curves and odd shapes.

Once the molds are built I hope to have a flying prototype by the end of the month or mid September.
Aug 08, 2012, 06:50 PM
Thread OP

Mold making progress...

Here's some pictures of the mold making progress. After making the parting planes I set the plane up on block towers so the body could be positioned correctly. The body was held at the proper height in the plane jig by CA'd pine struts underneath it. The plug weighs in at about 5-6 LBS as it is carved from solid laminated Pine. You don't want it shifting in the jig.

Pictures below...
Last edited by V1VrV2; Aug 08, 2012 at 09:08 PM.
Aug 08, 2012, 08:55 PM
Excellent!
Aug 08, 2012, 09:10 PM
Thread OP
After the trim and fit, I plan on running a HD Hero HD camera onboard. We have LOTS of eagles here. I am really anxious to see how they react to this on the slope.
Aug 08, 2012, 10:57 PM
Will your eagle resemble this one after its completion?

Flug des Adlers (4 min 8 sec)
Aug 08, 2012, 11:29 PM
Thread OP
Never seen that one before. Thanks for posting!

Cheers!
Last edited by V1VrV2; Aug 08, 2012 at 11:35 PM.
Aug 09, 2012, 02:07 AM
If you are going to sell a few of these , I need one to run CAP missions over our field to keep the hawks away from our sailplanes. Maybe a EDF version?
Aug 09, 2012, 11:45 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ak79
If you are going to sell a few of these , I need one to run CAP missions over our field to keep the hawks away from our sailplanes. Maybe a EDF version?
The hawks may attack this thing as it would be seen as a threat even more than airplanes, I don't know... It can outmaneuver them though.

Once I get this thing flying If anyone wants parts I can do that. If you want to power it the wing loading will be low enough to allow the extra weight of an on board power system. It will affect the looks of the bird though...

I am going to make the first one with a built up wood wing (s) to experiment with different airfoils and dihedral angles to see what works best on the slope and on flat land flying. A removable vertical fin would allow more stable flight (less Dutch Rolling) and allows the bird to be displayed without it. With a vertical fin conventional ailerons could be used as well.

Eventually I might even go with hollow molded wings as this would allow curved dihedral to be built into the wing. Looks better but heavier by far than a built up wing and alot harder to fix if damaged.
Aug 09, 2012, 03:34 PM
2012 NZ Speedcup - 231 MPH
Fantastic project! With the videos I've seen so far, there didn;t look to be much Dutch roll? How do real birds avoid this?

If someone could come up with an EPP version, they would sell extremely well IMO.

Quick Reply