New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 05, 2012, 07:43 PM
Find More Posts by Ursine
Discussion

DIY GoPro2 mount for 450 Flamewheel

After playing with AP on my Slowstick and Trex, I wanted to give a quadrotor a try. About a week ago I got a Naza 450 kit. After seeing how stable the quad was I knew I had to slap a camera onto it. I bought a GoPro2 HD and fired up the laser cutter. I cut a piece of 1/4 inch lite ply in the shape of the bottom frame plate. I wanted it to sit flush with the base so I cut holes for the screw heads. I used some small vbration isolators to mount a small piece of acrylic to the plywood base. I used acrylic for better adhesion with theGoPro mounts. For added isolation I cut the same pattern in a piece of 1/4 inch craft foam. Everything is tie wrapped (just snug) through the slots in the frame base.
I'm using 6 inch tall pieces cut from a pool noodle to raise the platform. They're tiewrapped through slots in the motor bases.
The pool noodles do give it a bit more of a wind profile. If it proves to be a problem I can mount some thin aluminum landing gear directly to the mount.
I just came back from a test flight. The footage is pretty noisy because it's dark out, but from what I can see it looks pretty smooth. I'll try again tomorrow.

Dave
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 10:45 PM
Find More Posts by Canada Goose
Looking good Dave, keep us posted!
CG
Old Mar 03, 2012, 08:13 PM
Find More Posts by Paltik.45acp
How's the result of your mount, I have the same frame and I want to do the same thing. Thanks Dave.

Mark