Oct 31, 2001, 07:06 PM
Thread OP

How to get into the Air Force Academy?

Hello, I'm 16 and a sophomore at my highschool and I'm thinking about joining the Air Force Academy. What exactly are some of the credentials necessary to get in? Some people have told me that I have to be in the top 10% of my class, and others have said I need to be on a varsity sports team, but I haven't been able to confirm this and the Academy's website isn't very helpful either. The career field I'm looking at right now is aeronautical engineering, but again, information about what the career is like is hard to find, so I figured I'd ask you guys.

Thanks for your time and your replies,
- Razz
Oct 31, 2001, 08:28 PM
Go get them Meg!
I could be wrong, but as I recall from long ago, your local congressman or woman may be able to recommend you.
Excellent grades with an emphasis on Science and Enginering are going to be a big plus, and sports would help to the extant that they would demonstrate your commitment to physical fitness.
Top ten percent of your class is not likely to be a factor, since that represents curved grade. High SATs would be much more important.
Call your local congress person's office.

Good luck.
Nov 01, 2001, 05:28 PM
Thread OP
Thanks, lrsudog.

Although it doesn't make it sound any easier, at least I know what I'm up against

Regards,
- Razz
Nov 01, 2001, 08:43 PM
Hey. I have the same basic desire as far as college major and am inclined to join the military at least for five years, so I'm going through the application process for West Point and Air Force right now. To get in, you need heavy science/math background with decent athletic performance, as well. Any activity that demonstrates "leadership potential" is good, too. These requirements are not necessarily set in stone, but weakness in one area will require EXTREME strength in another. You need to secure a nomination to attend, as well as be selected after applying to the academies directly. Nomination sources include the Vice President (Nationwide-- REALLY competitive, both of your Senators (Statewide-- pretty competitive) and your local congressman (Districtwide-- moderately competitive). If you have parents who were career military officers, you can also apply through the Office of the President. If your dad got a medal of honor, ask and you get in. After that, it's like applying to any other college, albeit very competitive. Take ALL the math and science classes you can, I took calc ap my junior year and am taking statistics ap this year. I took physics last year and am taking physics ap this year, and am on Varsity X Country, Wrestling, Track... you get the idea. This is a very competitive process, and with interest in military service increasing, your gonna have to be really serious to get the proper qualifications together. Good Luck,

Andy
Nov 01, 2001, 09:33 PM
Hey Razzor, I was also seriosly considering the Air Force Academy, I'm a senior in high school. The best thing to do is go to their website and request information and the application. The application procedure is a pretty lengthy deal. You need a recomendation from your states congressman or senator. You also have to pass a physical exam, including shuttle run, pullups, etc. And there is an interveiw somewhere in there. Here are some of the numbers they gave me:

Class average- Top 3% of their highschool class
Varsity sports member- 97%
National Honor society-69%

Its pretty competative.

When I originally aplied they told me that I was not competitive. But after the the terrorist attack they told me that I was a "tentative candidate." It sounds like this is the best time to enlist.
Nov 01, 2001, 09:55 PM
Thread OP
Wow, getting into the Academy sounds harder than getting into Harvard... I guess I'm no math whiz at this point, as I'm in Adv. Algebra right now, on to FST (functions, statistics, and trigonometry) next year, and either PDM (precalculus & discrete math) or if I qualify I can skip that and go straight to calc in my senior year. Chemistry is a different story; I got into the honors class that consists mostly of juniors and seniors, and I'm getting a 3.95 GPA in that class. As for sports, I'm on the JV wrestling team, and I'll probably make varsity next year. I guess to really see if I'm good enough, though, I'd have to fill out an application, wouldn't I? Thanks again for letting me know what I'm up against.

Regards,
- Razz
Nov 01, 2001, 10:00 PM
you guys make me feel old

Do it if you are sure its what you want- if you aren't sure...
Nov 01, 2001, 10:13 PM
Thread OP
I'm sure I wanna do it; getting in is the hard part. I mean, MIT, Perdu, and the University of Minnesota provide the best civilian aeronautical engineering courses, but about 7 months ago my parents were kind enough to tell me that they weren't paying for my tuition. Not a penny. None of the above colleges provide scholarships for the aeronautical engineering program, and I don't want to start my life by getting into debt with a loan. Basically, the Academy is my only chance at getting the education I want. I'm going to work my ass off to qualify for the Academy. I want to at least be considered.

Regards,
- Razz
Nov 01, 2001, 11:11 PM
don't want to act the curmudgeon, but learn about the culture of the school before you show up there for the first day of classes
Nov 01, 2001, 11:34 PM
Go get them Meg!
Actually, If you are just trying to pay for college, all the services have some type of funds matching, college bill program. That's how I paid for my BA degree. In CA the first two years of college are cheap for residents, so I got all my pre reqs out of the way for 12$ a unit. Once you serve your enlistment, you receive a check (tax free) every month that you are enrolled in classes. You spend it as you see fit. You have to pay it back if you blow off your classes though. Unless there's a war, you never have to put on a uniform again. Also, you would have access to Embry Riddle classes at most postings, and when you get out and enroll in classes, the GI bill advisors can help you with all the other grants and such available to you.
Also, if you have very good eval scores, and have some college under your belt, you may be eligible for college assignment if you choose re-enlistment. They offered this package to me to try and tempt me into re-upping, but I politely declined, since I didn't want to owe them four more years service (after Graduation). Then I got re-called for the Gulf war a year after I got out. I guess I showed them!
Also, don't overlook ROTC, or just the reserves, One weekend a month and two weeks a year. There's usually a signing bonus, and Drill pay for reserve weekends and training weeks.
Hope this helps.
Nov 02, 2001, 01:31 PM
Razz,

Not trying to change your mind on the AF Academy, but also check into ROTC at the U of M. When I lived in Minn. they were just restarting the program. This could be an excellent way to pay for school with out the compitition to get into the school. U of M has a great program is so much cheaper for in-state students. U of M also has a huge grant/scholarship program for in-state students that may help with paying for college. Good Luck!!!

Mike

Quick Reply