Feb 13, 2014, 04:04 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by coreman View Post
Thanks Rich. I was away from the computer yesterday afternoon/evening

We did stick with the scale outlines for the warbirds but moved the hinge lines around to give more authority. The warbirds are not 3D planes but they will turn nicely with the rudder. They are more for flying like warbirds and we have done some combat using them. most recently they were used for the recreation of the Battle of Britain and this last NEAT Fair. Being EPP with reasonably large ailerons, I would not recommend trying to fly FAST with them but they certainly fly well as intended and can easily be flown in a moderate indoor venue such as a soccer dome or handle themselves well in reasonable wind outdoors. Personally I love the looks of the Spitfire in the air but I do think the ME-109 handles slightly better. I think either one would be a great choice. If your desire is to do 3D, hands down it's the Yak55.

The instructions are available on the website so you can see how they go together (tab and slot for perfect alignment) and there are playlists showing each model flying both indoors and outdoors to help decide.

Thank you for your interest
Jim
Thanks Jim, moving the hinge line makes perfect sense. I'm a noob pilot so I don't think it will matter what I fly but I do like the lines on your Warbirds.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2014, 05:14 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by olblueyez View Post
Thanks Jim, moving the hinge line makes perfect sense. I'm a noob pilot so I don't think it will matter what I fly but I do like the lines on your Warbirds.
The warbirds are great for just sport flying and I agree the scale outlines look great flying by. Even when I was test flying the unpainted prototypes you could recognize them
Latest blog entry: BluFO review by Jim T Graham
Jun 09, 2014, 11:47 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Robert over at SDParkFlyers.com did a nice review of my 9mm EPP Yak55 kit based on Leadfeathers design

RACORES YAK55 First Look (4 min 32 sec)
Jun 28, 2014, 08:33 PM
I just finished my Yak 55 and have flown it about 10 times already . I would have to say that it is flat out an awesome foamie!! I have included a video that is also posted to my youtube channel.

RACORES YAK55 (6 min 17 sec)
Jun 28, 2014, 09:13 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by cfrederick37 View Post
I just finished my Yak 55 and have flown it about 10 times already . I would have to say that it is flat out an awesome foamie!! I have included a video that is also posted to my youtube channel.
Nice video. Thank you for the kind words. I linked it into my Product and Yak55 playlists on my YouTube channel.

Nice job!
Jul 07, 2014, 05:19 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Another one of our customers did a Mini Review of the 9mm EPP Yak55

RA Cores Yak 55 review (6 min 1 sec)
Jun 22, 2015, 07:25 AM
Kit Manufacturer

Leadfeather P-51D

next up in our warbirds is a kit version of the Leadfeather P-51D. This is the second flight on the second prototype at the BCSF Warwick NY Fun Fly

Nov 28, 2016, 08:02 PM
Question: I'm looking at getting into one of the 32" Yaks once the weather gets better in the spring (I have foamies in 39", 38", and 22". It'd be nice to try something in the intermediate 32" size, though the 22" Mini Yak is tempting). I have a spare OrangeRX DSM2 6ch receiver (with its case) that I took off of one of my former 3S planes. Would it be too heavy, or can I just reuse it?
Nov 28, 2016, 08:09 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by BryanEW710 View Post
Question: I'm looking at getting into one of the 32" Yaks once the weather gets better in the spring (I have foamies in 39", 38", and 22". It'd be nice to try something in the intermediate 32" size, though the 22" Mini Yak is tempting). I have a spare OrangeRX DSM2 6ch receiver (with its case) that I took off of one of my former 3S planes. Would it be too heavy, or can I just reuse it?
I used to use those all the time until they went perpetually out of stock. I've been using the LemonRXs since. Half the weight of the orange is the plastic case. I've taken them out and put heat shrink on the before but it will be fine with the case. it's only 5-7g. The 32" will hover at 2/3rds throttle with the 1300kv motor and 3S with an 8x4 prop. The plane without battery typically comes in about 180g and then I just use 450-500mah 3S batteries
Nov 28, 2016, 08:12 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Oh, and the 22" Mini comes in about 85-90g without battery but it has 2/3rds the wing area so it flies like the 32" without suffering from the drag from the smaller size. I was very pleased when I initially flew the prototype
Nov 28, 2016, 08:13 PM
What kind of power setup do you think I'd need to hover it at about 50%? I've pretty much built everything else to hover just above half throttle.
Nov 28, 2016, 08:18 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
What kind of power setup do you think I'd need to hover it at about 50%? I've pretty much built everything else to hover just above half throttle.
you might be able to do that with the 1500kv motor but your motor times will be shorter. Higher KV, more RPM means the hover RPM will be at lower throttle settings. I just use the 1300KV so I can't verify that
Nov 28, 2016, 08:26 PM
Quote:
you might be able to do that with the 1500kv motor but your motor times will be shorter. Higher KV, more RPM means the hover RPM will be at lower throttle settings. I just use the 1300KV so I can't verify that
Did you mean motor life or flight times there?

What kind of flight time would I expect on the 1300?
Nov 28, 2016, 08:35 PM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Did you mean motor life or flight times there?

What kind of flight time would I expect on the 1300?
Flight times. Motor run times. I typically see 6-7 minutes of 3D aerobatics on a 450mah 3S Glacier with the 1300KV. now I'm not flying smackdown but I'm doing hovers and harriers and loops and rolls
Nov 28, 2016, 08:39 PM
Quote:
Flight times. Motor run times. I typically see 6-7 minutes of 3D aerobatics on a 450mah 3S Glacier with the 1300KV. now I'm not flying smackdown but I'm doing hovers and harriers and loops and rolls
OK...that sounds like what I'm used to. Whether I'm flying a UMX Beast3D, my 22" foamie, or either of the larger ones, 6min is about all I can handle (and about all the lipos--260mAh 2s or 3000mAh 3s--can handle). I tend to fly somewhere near my eye level for most of the flight, so 6min is about the limit of my concentration