New Products Flash Sale
Mar 07, 2012, 02:26 PM
Registered User
DFflyer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by davebloomer View Post
pretty cool that is the only part that broke. Lucky i would say.
Yeah it actually happened mid-air, luckily with only about 30 seconds left on my timer. It happened during a poptop and I didn't notice it until I was coming in for landing. As soon as I touched the elevator it almost snapped out of the turn. After I landed I realized what had happened.

If I had just a few more seconds on my timer and decided to do one last high energy maneuver like another poptop or a blender I probably would have ripped the whole motor out!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 07, 2012, 03:41 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
3Dplank's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by DFflyer View Post
Yeah it actually happened mid-air, luckily with only about 30 seconds left on my timer. It happened during a poptop and I didn't notice it until I was coming in for landing. As soon as I touched the elevator it almost snapped out of the turn. After I landed I realized what had happened.

If I had just a few more seconds on my timer and decided to do one last high energy maneuver like another poptop or a blender I probably would have ripped the whole motor out!
That sucks, but you can fix it and get a new plane Better get back on phoenix What you been up to?
Mar 07, 2012, 03:57 PM
Irg
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
anybody have a link to some bright white leds that can run on 2-3s lipo? I would be into clusters or single lights.

thanks!!!
Mar 07, 2012, 04:06 PM
Registered User
SnowDog1974's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
anybody have a link to some bright white leds that can run on 2-3s lipo? I would be into clusters or single lights.

thanks!!!
something like this?

http://www.valuehobby.com/accessorie...rip-white.html
Mar 07, 2012, 04:13 PM
Irg
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
I'm looking more for a single super bright one ( a la the aurora systems), or a
small round cluster of brights.
Mar 07, 2012, 04:15 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
aronph's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
I'm looking more for a single super bright one ( a la the aurora systems), or a
small round cluster of brights.
for my 89?!
Mar 07, 2012, 04:20 PM
Irg
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
haha, no actually for my 72. I did up the sfgs with colors, and I want to put two or three super bright white leds inside the fuse to illuminate it
but have the covering diffuse the light.
Mar 07, 2012, 05:07 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Eagle34's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
haha, no actually for my 72. I did up the sfgs with colors, and I want to put two or three super bright white leds inside the fuse to illuminate it
but have the covering diffuse the light.
Several to choose from. Depending on what you want and how you wire them they will need a resistor in series with the anode. This page has a calculator.

Here is a Super bright LED. You would need a 12 ohm resistor in series to use it with 12VDC.

A smaller SMD type. Would need 150ohm resistor in series to work with 12VDC.

Here is more of a board mount. Would need a 470ohm resistor in series to work with 12VDC.

They have some pre wired set up for 12VDC operation. Don't think they are very high output though.
Mar 07, 2012, 05:30 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
aronph's Avatar
so duct taping little maglites to the wingtips facing toward the canopy is a no no? :-)
Mar 07, 2012, 05:45 PM
customstandoffs
cmala's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
so duct taping little maglites to the wingtips facing toward the canopy is a no no? :-)
that should work. Heck, we used to tape those glow sticks to planes. The ones you crack and shake up...

They weren't very bright.

12v christmas tree lights worked better.

Then on the way home we would listen to our favorite songs on a cassette tape.
Mar 07, 2012, 05:46 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
aronph's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala View Post
that should work. Heck, we used to tape those glow sticks to planes. The ones you crack and shake up...

They weren't very bright.

12v christmas tree lights worked better.

Then on the way home we would listen to our favorite songs on a cassette tape.
do they make 12V christmas lights anymore?
Mar 07, 2012, 05:49 PM
Whoooo!
StormJunkie's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
I'm looking more for a single super bright one ( a la the aurora systems), or a
small round cluster of brights.
Running them off 1s is a pretty easy deal and those lipos are cheap and light. Using a 1s also means they need less resistance and they don't drain your system batteries. The two I just put on my 33" Extra are similar to the ones that eagle listed except they are SMD's, and did not come with whatever that black plate is. What is that Eagle, a mounting plate? Have spent some time in the night flying thread for the past week or two while setting this up and testing the lights. Might be an interesting read. Some good pics of the lights themselves, how I soldered and mounted them, etc.

These are Avago lights. Here is a Mouser link to all the Avago whites...Apply more filters as needed.



Now if you just want crazy, stupid, blinding bright...These 3.15A ones should do the trick. I have no clue what kind of voltage it would take to run them, but at 3.15A, I would make sure they have their own pack. Going to have to watch the heat on them too. Flying won't be a problem, just don't leave them plugged up too long sitting on the ground. Would likely melt foam or covering pulling 3.15A through a little 'ol LED
Last edited by StormJunkie; Mar 07, 2012 at 06:56 PM.
Mar 07, 2012, 05:51 PM
Registered User
shadow102's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg View Post
haha, no actually for my 72. I did up the sfgs with colors, and I want to put two or three super bright white leds inside the fuse to illuminate it
but have the covering diffuse the light.
these are very bright on 3s and you can trim them or extend them with a little soldering

http://www.hobbypartz.com/79p-10186.html


btw got the spinner thanks again
Mar 07, 2012, 05:53 PM
customstandoffs
cmala's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
do they make 12V christmas lights anymore?
I'm surprised but yes, they do

http://www.amazon.com/Boat-Christmas.../dp/B004F1PNRU
Mar 07, 2012, 05:53 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Eagle34's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by aronph View Post
so duct taping little maglites to the wingtips facing toward the canopy is a no no? :-)
Here you go Aron, should give you an idea. BTW Tom, the owner, is a really nice guy and will take care of you, he's a RC enthusiast and pilot too.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion You are addicted to flying when.... postalflyer72 Electric Plane Talk 34 Jul 17, 2011 12:12 AM
Video Angelo Lomelí flying 3D antics Jorge Fernandez Electric Plane Talk 0 Sep 30, 2006 03:22 PM
Tiger Moth antics - flying inverted w/video SnoJetter Parkflyers 49 Sep 16, 2003 08:25 PM
Help! Getting addicted to Park Flying fly4fun Parkflyers 11 Feb 16, 2002 11:58 AM
You know when your addicted to Slow Flying when..... Gman Parkflyers 51 Aug 05, 2001 04:19 AM