Thread Tools
Jan 31, 2013, 10:53 AM
Registered User
Alex Schauer's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate
Taking material off of anything weakens it... I'd guess we're talking a fraction of a millimeter though.

At any rate... I'm flying that Velox on an overpowered A50-12L and have given it many full throttle blenders with no problem thus far.
True dat.
I have also heard to replace your wingtubes ever 150 flights for good cheap insurance.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2013, 10:58 AM
Registered User
FireyFate's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer
True dat.
I have also heard to replace your wingtubes ever 150 flights for good cheap insurance.
That's a good thought... I might do that with my 7x" sized planes.

But like I said, it was so tight I was sure I would have broke something if I didn't sand it. That's fine though... I'd rather it come tight than loose. It's easy to take material off, not so easy to put it on!
Jan 31, 2013, 11:01 AM
Team Twisted!
hone1er's Avatar
I'm fairly certain if you are going to sand anything it should be the tube holder in the fuse or wing not the tube itself.

Maybe someone can verify this.
Jan 31, 2013, 11:32 AM
Sippin the Koolaid!
losifanatic's Avatar
Problem with that is the wing tube size for the 30cc planes is slightly different now than they were a few years ago. A new tube will not fit in my older 71 slick.
Jan 31, 2013, 11:52 AM
Registered User
FireyFate's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er
I'm fairly certain if you are going to sand anything it should be the tube holder in the fuse or wing not the tube itself.
Annnnnd you're going to evenly sand the inside of an 8 inch long tube how?? I think you guys might be overestimating how much material comes off of the tube... we are talking about 20 seconds of twisting the entire length of the tube through some medium fine sand paper.
Jan 31, 2013, 11:58 AM
Registered User
jsmith285's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hone1er
I'm fairly certain if you are going to sand anything it should be the tube holder in the fuse or wing not the tube itself.

Maybe someone can verify this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by FireyFate
Annnnnd you're going to evenly sand the inside of an 8 inch long tube how?? I think you guys might be overestimating how much material comes off of the tube... we are talking about 20 seconds of twisting the entire length of the tube through some medium fine sand paper.
Actually he is correct.
All the manufacturers recommend sanding the inside of the receiver tubes and never the outside of a tube.
Many ways to do it, evenly and without worry. The strength in a tube is in its outer most layer.

AND you just sanded it.
Jan 31, 2013, 12:12 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
HugoCraft's Avatar
I wanted to sand the 87 tube when it was almost impossible to remove but never did. After I sprayed that teflon stuff and wiped it all over the carbon fiber then had a sleek, smooth, shiny surface. I sprayed the fuse tube and ran towel back and forth through it and now its super easy to slide the tube in and out.
Jan 31, 2013, 12:26 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by hugocraft
I wanted to sand the 87 tube when it was almost impossible to remove but never did. After I sprayed that teflon stuff and wiped it all over the carbon fiber then had a sleek, smooth, shiny surface. I sprayed the fuse tube and ran towel back and forth through it and now its super easy to slide the tube in and out.
Some good lube always makes it easy to slide the tube in and out.
Jan 31, 2013, 12:55 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
So I need a buy an ESC for my new 57" SC. I plan on buying a Castle Creations Ice Lite 100 just because that's what I'm familiar with. Is there another brand of ESC I should be considering? I want to put something good in there and just want to know what you guys trust in all of your planes. If Castle is the way to go then I'll just do that but I figured now might be a good opportunity to try something new if it makes sense.
Jan 31, 2013, 01:04 PM
MD1 HACK
joshet89's Avatar
What about one of the Castle Talon ESC's? I know its still a castle but with the 20amp BEC and pretty attractive price I know that would be on my short list if I was putting a 60" size plane together.
Jan 31, 2013, 01:08 PM
Registered User
FireyFate's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmith285
Actually he is correct.
All the manufacturers recommend sanding the inside of the receiver tubes and never the outside of a tube.
Many ways to do it, evenly and without worry. The strength in a tube is in its outer most layer.

AND you just sanded it.
Actually, I sanded it 6 months ago and have flown the ever loving hell out of it since. If they recommend that, I've never heard mention in any video or build manual. Have never seen it in the way too many hours I've spent on this forum as well.

I'm not saying I don't believe you of course, so I'll use my 3DHS points to buy another tube I like Alex's point of replacing them every couple hundred flights on the bigger planes anyways.
Jan 31, 2013, 01:37 PM
Gone Huckin'
turnerm's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshet89
What about one of the Castle Talon ESC's? I know its still a castle but with the 20amp BEC and pretty attractive price I know that would be on my short list if I was putting a 60" size plane together.
But if I plan on using an external BEC anyway then does the Talon get me anything that the Ice doesn't have?
Jan 31, 2013, 01:41 PM
ex-noob
Lardog's Avatar
Lower price?
Jan 31, 2013, 01:43 PM
Aerobatic Fanatic
HugoCraft's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshet89
What about one of the Castle Talon ESC's? I know its still a castle but with the 20amp BEC and pretty attractive price I know that would be on my short list if I was putting a 60" size plane together.
Review here and statement from castle about it only has one servo lead

http://www.3drcforums.com/content.ph...tions-Talon-90

Andrew Jesky posted on facebook a while back that he tried to pull as many amps as he could from the servos in a 70" class plane and he couldn't cause any failures or saw any issues. Airplanes that size run 4 servos and people have had good luck with that esc on 550 size helicopters using similar 4 servos, as in a 70" class plane but the helicopters are running a gyro too and the fbl ones usually keep all the servos moving all the time!

But I do wish they would put another lead on it like the bec pro but I kinda get why they didn't. I've got an old 40 size cub that I'm planning on using the talon in but I'll only be running 3 servos but I might have to copy Bivens J-3 Cub setup and put a gyro on the rudder
Jan 31, 2013, 01:45 PM
Irg
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Irg's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by turnerm
But if I plan on using an external BEC anyway then does the Talon get me anything that the Ice doesn't have?
I don't like that you have to use bullets with those, unless I'm mistaken.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion You are addicted to flying when.... postalflyer72 Electric Plane Talk 34 Jul 16, 2011 11:12 PM
Video Angelo Lomelí flying 3D antics Jorge Fernandez Electric Plane Talk 0 Sep 30, 2006 02:22 PM
Tiger Moth antics - flying inverted w/video SnoJetter Parkflyers 49 Sep 16, 2003 07:25 PM
Help! Getting addicted to Park Flying fly4fun Parkflyers 11 Feb 16, 2002 10:58 AM
You know when your addicted to Slow Flying when..... Gman Parkflyers 51 Aug 05, 2001 03:19 AM