Jul 11, 2013, 03:34 PM
3D Addict
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg
guys,
I just wanted to make sure you all know the NJ FLI East is happening this weekend. it's an awesome event, very low key and laid back but with lots of cool folks to meet and amazing flying to watch. if you have even the slightest inclination and you're within striking distance, please come join us.

as a side note, I bought a case of Pennzoil air cooled two stroke oil. it's a popular break in oil for the GT33 and DLE engines, and according to some threads on FG, some are even using it for the life of their motor. if you want a bottle or two please let me know as I have WAY TOO MUCH!!! happy to send it to you at my cost plus a few shekels for shipping. it should be super cheap as the whole case was only $45 shipped.
wish I could be there, fanily vacation on lake sunapee. I already wrecked the POS Neptune seaplane that I converted to electric .... way heavy , dropped a wing while landing and it just tore it off and the neptune was turned into the titanic .... great fun while it lasted, will get the Ikon A5 next.
to remove ads between posts
Jul 11, 2013, 04:35 PM
Irg
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
+1 on the FLI, truly fun event. I'm looking forward to finishing at my keyboard here in a minute to go pack the SlickRoo into the car.

There's other oils besides Redline?... surely you jest

(which reminds me that I may actually be out of Redline goodness after my last marathon session...)
perfect time to switch to pennzoil. I know a guy.
Jul 11, 2013, 04:37 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg
perfect time to switch to pennzoil. I know a guy.
I'm hoping that I still have a bottle in the closet
Jul 11, 2013, 06:47 PM
AKA Boomhauer
I've always used the spring loaded trainer switch for engine kill. Works great
Jul 11, 2013, 07:06 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
I couldn't get the trainer switch on my DX8 to work for anything more than trainer and timer triggers. Tried every possible assignment/mix, and got nothing.
Jul 11, 2013, 07:17 PM
Team 3DHS
Quote:
Originally Posted by alfabeast
wish I could be there, fanily vacation on lake sunapee. I already wrecked the POS Neptune seaplane that I converted to electric .... way heavy , dropped a wing while landing and it just tore it off and the neptune was turned into the titanic .... great fun while it lasted, will get the Ikon A5 next.
Overpowered Fun Cub with floats! That's my recommendation. They take a good amount of abuse (great for night flying after a few adult cocktails), and you can put the regular wheels on them for more abuse when away from the water. Just to be sure to put LED's in it, before gluing the fuse half's together, makes for a very enjoyable time!
Jul 11, 2013, 07:19 PM
Team 3DHS
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
+1 on the FLI, truly fun event. I'm looking forward to finishing at my keyboard here in a minute to go pack the SlickRoo into the car.
Glad to know that I'm not the only one not packed yet. Just finished making dinner for the family, batteries in the middle of charging, time to start loading the trailer (and of course finish off those last minute repairs / tasks that I haven't completed yet ... lol)
Jul 11, 2013, 07:20 PM
Fly Low
Parkzone Icons are fun.

They do wicked poptops.
Jul 11, 2013, 07:42 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Excellent flying Aronph. Nice work on that 87. Did I see "single a123"? Or was that for ignition? I like redundant batts in 50cc. You going to the Ohio Huckfest? Coming to Ktown next month for our FLI??
Jul 11, 2013, 07:48 PM
No, I won't ship it. Don't ask
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bivens
Did I see "single a123"?
Cut him some slack, the squirrels ate his other a123....
Jul 11, 2013, 07:53 PM
Team 3DHS
Wamsy, wish you and Bivens were making the trip up to NJ.
Jul 11, 2013, 07:55 PM
Addicted to 3DHS, EF and Flex
Is Joe or Wamsy going to bring the prototype 60'' Yak 55's? I would love to be able to see one in person.
Jul 11, 2013, 07:58 PM
Fly Low
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3Daddict
Is Joe or Wamsy going to bring the prototype 60'' Yak 55's? I would love to be able to see one in person.
I will have it at the Ohio Huckfest. I bet Joe will also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrashesALot
Wamsy, wish you and Bivens were making the trip up to NJ.
I was going to but King 50 is just a really high priority for me. Maybe next year they will not be back to back events.
Jul 11, 2013, 07:59 PM
Addicted to 3DHS, EF and Flex
Quote:
Originally Posted by wamsy55
I will have it at the Ohio Huckfest. I bet Joe will also.

I was going to but King 50 is just a really high priority for me. Maybe next year they will not be back to back events.
Ok, cool. Ignore the PM then you have answered my question. I can not weight to see it.
Jul 11, 2013, 08:00 PM
Team 3DHS / Team JR
Aron.......as for the tune on your DLE....and Hugo's....

1) Aron-You should be able to find happy needle settings that avoid a flat midrange....no reason a DLE 55 should not run well once tuned nicely.

2) Hugo- it is common to see a need for slight engine tune changes with big weather changes (like spring to summer) or if you fly at fields at significantly different elevations....I bet you are slightly off on the low end since the idle doesn't settle right down. Without being there to hear it, I don't want to forecast rich or lean....but I suggest getting it warmed up then trying it 1/10 turn richer....if it is better...keep working that way...if worse, we are headed the wrong way, so go leaner.

Typically too lean on the bottom causes an idle that won't drop down quickly.....

In all cases, you should expect that changes on the needles may affect the idle, so be ready to change your low throttle EPA.

On the midrange subject...the low needle typically affects the bottom 30% of the throttle....then the top needle setting overlaps with it until about 70% or higher, then the top needle dominates...between 30 and 70% throttle, the balance of both needles will handle the midrange.

On most engines, once you get the high and low right, the mid is OK.....but not all. For example, much of the tuning on my DA170 is carefully done to smooth the midrange.....slight adjustments can make quite a big difference.

Think of turning needles only a little at a time...some people use the width of the driver blade slot as a visual cue....or think of it as the hour hand on a clock face....only turning 1/4 to 1/2 hour each time an sneaking up on the best tune.

Quick Reply