Sep 27, 2012, 03:35 PM
Irg
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
I'd still like to see them land on it at night in foul weather.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 27, 2012, 03:39 PM
MD1 HACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by theKM
not to be a buzzkill on the joke, but the ramp helps them get off with a higher payload
Thanks Arron...I'll go back to my stacks hole now

Speaking of a stacks on...should try for one in the fall
Sep 27, 2012, 03:50 PM
I fly, therefore, I crash!!!
Quote:
whup, yes, I got it wrong... DS610 = 1258. they have a speedy 1257 equivalent also.

Thank you Sir for clarifying that, it had me a bit "bumfuzzled".....

SteveT
Latest blog entry: My old shop....
Sep 27, 2012, 03:53 PM
Quote:
not to be a buzzkill on the joke, but the ramp helps them get off with a higher payload
Don't the British also use Carriers like that for Harrier jets? (or similar type aircraft?)

SteveT
Sep 27, 2012, 04:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by cmala
It seems like it would make aborted landing attempts troublesome
On a angled deck carrier, landings are done parallel to the angled off protion of the deck, not straight along the deck like WW2 carriers, so there'd be no problem clearing the ski-jump.
Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveT.
Don't the British also use Carriers like that for Harrier jets? (or similar type aircraft?)

SteveT
Yep, as well as the Russians
Sep 27, 2012, 04:25 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Irg
I'd still like to see them land on it at night in foul weather.
yup, accidentally approach from the wrong end
Sep 27, 2012, 04:26 PM
↓↘→ + (punch)
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by joshet89
Thanks Arron...I'll go back to my stacks hole now

Speaking of a stacks on...should try for one in the fall
yup, need to try for fall stacks
Sep 27, 2012, 04:28 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Also carrier landings are done from the aft of the ship.

From what I understand their steam catapult system is not very good and this ship might not even have one, therefore the need for the ramp.
Sep 27, 2012, 04:31 PM
Quote:
yup, need to try for fall stacks
where and when????????
Sep 27, 2012, 04:36 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle34
Also carrier landings are done from the aft of the ship.

From what I understand their steam catapult system is not very good and this ship might not even have one, therefore the need for the ramp.
I would think that a catapult system on a curved deck like that would be difficult to say the least....

SteveT
Sep 27, 2012, 04:37 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Quote:
I would think that a catapult system on a curved deck like that would be difficult to say the least....

SteveT
That too.
Sep 27, 2012, 04:39 PM
Quote:
yup, accidentally approach from the wrong end
Kind of like the old war movies where they show (I believe), a Hellfighter, coming in and smacks the end of the carrier and ends up hitting the tower/island. It is shown in a few movies, but one that comes to mind is "The Bridge at Toko Ri", in which they have Panther jets, but the crash they show is the Hellfighter which is a prop job...

SteveT
Sep 27, 2012, 04:58 PM
MD1 HACK
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3171scott
where and when????????
Sunday's are the best and I hear there is this really nice field out in the youngstown area
Sep 27, 2012, 05:08 PM
TEAM HILLBILLY
Quote:
Kind of like the old war movies where they show (I believe), a Hellfighter, coming in and smacks the end of the carrier and ends up hitting the tower/island. It is shown in a few movies, but one that comes to mind is "The Bridge at Toko Ri", in which they have Panther jets, but the crash they show is the Hellfighter which is a prop job...

SteveT
That was an actual crash that happened on the Enterprise during WW2 and yes it was a Hellcat.
Sep 27, 2012, 06:19 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eagle34
That was an actual crash that happened on the Enterprise during WW2 and yes it was a Hellcat.
Yup....I knew it was real, but didn't remember for sure the name of the aircraft....For some reason, I was thinking there was one called a Hellfighter, but you are correct, it is Hellcat...

SteveT

Quick Reply