Aug 06, 2012, 01:22 PM
What are good batteries? Venom? (like HIgh performance)
to remove ads between posts
Aug 06, 2012, 01:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjschauer
What are good batteries? Venom? (like HIgh performance)
Everyone will have different experiences. I have had very good luck with gens ace and will continue to give them my lipo money. When care for properly they seems to last many many cycles with little to no degradation in performance. The blue labels are better than the cf wrapper though. My only gripe is their stock level.
Aug 06, 2012, 01:32 PM
Suspended Account
Oh ok haha........so you think TP's are only slightly better?
Aug 06, 2012, 01:32 PM
Fly low or fly home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nebwake
Gyro hit it on the head, I had ASA or advanced surface ablasion. The military really prefers this as LASIC carries a risk of cornial flap detachment in high impact activities... Like being in the military. ASA removes the top layer of your cornia, reshapes the cornia with the laser and then you heal over about a month... Much more painful and longer healing tim than LASIC but usually give better results and less risk. and yea they prop your eye open with little clamp things and numb your eye muscles so you dont move your eyes.
Well i think I am sol, unless I go in there drugged up, they are not using clamps to keep my eye open with out me being high as a kite, I like hands on stuff so maybe I'll just stick to being a mechanic, plus I could easyly get a job doing plane mechanics after the air force.

I went to go try contacts for the first hour I could never get it, second time I went in it took 40 min to get it in 15 to get it out and that was only one eye. My mom has a an eye phobia and I think I got it, I used to be able to touch my eye ball all the time, now it's really hard to do. Haha.
Aug 06, 2012, 01:39 PM
Team Aztech Aeromodels!
Anybody ever order from hobby shack? Are they good? They have the cc bec pro for $32.
Aug 06, 2012, 01:43 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCAddict16
It's been a while since I looked, but it seems the only advantage TP had was that they were usually a little bit lighter.

So far I've only flown the Gens Ace 25c packs in all my planes 51" and under, but they do sell 60c for those that need it. I have a dozen of them that I have been flying every weekend for 9 months now, and they do feel slightly less punchier than before but there is absolutely zero puff.

I'll also admit I don't always remember to discharge unused packs, and sometimes they sit for a couple weeks at full charge. I always charge at 3c. I'm super happy with them, and for now they are my go to brand.
Aug 06, 2012, 01:44 PM
Quote:
I believe TP (65c) are only marginally (10%) better than gens 25c and cost 4x as much. I would not call that better.

//flame suit on

I own one TP lipo and dozens of gens. For our application I think gens are ideal. For special applications TP may be "better". Gens are 10% off right now too.
Aug 06, 2012, 01:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dentalpain
Everyone will have different experiences. I have had very good luck with gens ace and will continue to give them my lipo money. When care for properly they seems to last many many cycles with little to no degradation in performance. The blue labels are better than the cf wrapper though. My only gripe is their stock level.
I like Gen's Ace as well...good batteries. I also have a good number of Value Hobby batteries (GForce) and they are as good as the Gens Ace IMHO (especially the 40C versions). GForce batteries come with Deans connectors which I also appreciate.
Like Hobby Partz (sellers of GensAce), Value Hobby has varying success with stock levels on their batteries.

Last week I resorted to getting Zippy Lightmax batteries from Hobby King USA because I couldn't afford 6S5000 30C's from anywhere else. ($62 each at HK USA, $80-$90 everywhere else)

Hey wait...isn't this an on-topic topic for this off-topic thread? Does that mean I'm off-topic for posting this?

Other people say they like Thunder Power batteries (e.g. SteveT) but I can't afford 'em.
Aug 06, 2012, 01:46 PM
Suspended Account
Well I can't really say much because I haven't used TP's all that much, I do have two 1S 160 25C packs and I don't notice a difference between them and my eflite 12C pack.
Aug 06, 2012, 02:04 PM
its really not that bad when its happening, the recovery is kind of painfull... If you want to join the military, you might want to man up a little

Quote:
Originally Posted by skarface
Well i think I am sol, unless I go in there drugged up, they are not using clamps to keep my eye open with out me being high as a kite, I like hands on stuff so maybe I'll just stick to being a mechanic, plus I could easyly get a job doing plane mechanics after the air force.

I went to go try contacts for the first hour I could never get it, second time I went in it took 40 min to get it in 15 to get it out and that was only one eye. My mom has a an eye phobia and I think I got it, I used to be able to touch my eye ball all the time, now it's really hard to do. Haha.
Aug 06, 2012, 02:13 PM
Fly Low
Quote:
That's good. Have you flown the new EPP edge? I think that will be my next plane
I have a lot of time on the 40" Edge. It is a mean lean hucking machine. It probably the most high performance foam airplane I have ever seen/flown. Mine was setup with the 72g Omega and a Light kit. A 103g Omega is really going to make it over the top.

As far as batteries go I have stuck with Sky Lipos and Gens Ace. I just ordered some smaller Glacier Batteries from epbuddy to try out.
Aug 06, 2012, 02:16 PM
Suspended Account
Hey wamsy I was thinking of using this power combo from twistedhobby- http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Power-C...-Telink-48.htm do you think that would work well? (I'm on a budget)
Aug 06, 2012, 02:17 PM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Keith - found this on becoming a military fighter pilot. Let's just say, it is not a walk in the park and hotly contested. If you get laser correction, sounds like PRK (not lasik) is the way to go and make sure it doesn't mess with your night vision.

1- You need to complete a Bachelor's (4year) college degree
2- You need to complete a commissioning program (only officers are pilots.)
3- You need to be accepted and EXCEL at specialized undergraduate pilot training. No, it's not like the movies, but it IS competitive.
If your grades, and extracurricular activities are impressive enough, the USAF Academy knocks out 1&2. If not, consider AF ROTC. You take it like any other college class: they also have full-ride scholarships available. This is by far the most common vehicle for USAF officers (nearly every 4star General in the USAF is a ROTC grad.).
The 3rd way is via Officer's Training School (OTS). This is primarily for enlisted troops aiming at a commission, but there are non-prior service slots available. You apply within one year of college graduation. Note that completing one of these programs does NOT automatically put you in SUPT: you have be selected to go:
The USAF selects its aircrews via a Flying Selection Board. This board consists of senior aviators (I sat on one) that review candidate applications. They will review your physical, aptitude test scores, and other stuff related to your flying history. The single biggest hurdle most newbies face is the physical. Contrary to what nearly EVERY body on Answers seems to think you do NOT need perfect vision.
VISION: 20/70 correctable 20/20 or better. No astigmatism, colorblindness or nightblindness. The USAF does accept SOME surgically corrected vision: however I would check with a USAF Fight Surgeon before risking this. A common side effect of LASIK at least is weak night vision/nightblindness-which will eliminate you from consideration.
HEALTH: No cardiac issues, no diabetes, no HIV no Hi/LO blood pressures etc (a family history's OK, just not you). Lo BP is sometimes waiverable. If you have Hi BP and can get it down with diet and exercise-great, if you are taking meds-you're done. No asthma since age 14 (including so-called sports and stress versions). No periods of unconsciousness >5-7 minutes since age 12 (medically induced excepted). No significant hearing loss-sometimes waiverable. No history of mental/emotional problems.
No significant run-ins with the law.
Your flying history is were you supply any documentation of civilian flying: Pilot's license, Sport License, Glider License, student License-even copies of your logbook. Anything like this is a HUGE plus for you. Other stuff: membership in JROTC and Civil Air Patrol. CAP is a great way to get some free flying.
Assuming you're selected you need to work as hard as you can to get to the top (or close) of your SUPT class. Fighters are HOTLY competed for, and generally speaking not too many come down. For example: out of a class of 30-40 students MAYBE a couple A10s, 2/3xVipers and one Eagle might be available. In this case, if you're number 7 in your class and the six folks ahead all want fighters-you're plain not getting one. To get to the top you need to EXCEL in academics and flying: this means getting as close to perfect scores in your academic and flying evals as you possibly can.
Right now, I would study VERY hard to get great grades: look into JROTC (doesn't have to be AFJROTC) and CAP. Also if you can afford it start some flying lessons. Read up on as much as you can find on aviation, and military history.
Good luck, if you have other questions please PM me.
Source(s):
Retired F4 Weapon Systems Officer.
Aug 06, 2012, 02:23 PM
Fly Low
Quote:
Hey wamsy I was thinking of using this power combo from twistedhobby- http://www.twistedhobbys.com/Power-C...-Telink-48.htm do you think that would work well? (I'm on a budget)
It looks like it could work.The motor is around the correct weight and it spins the correct prop on 3s. Not sure about how nice the ESC or the servos are. I have never used any of that equipment. Not sure of the quality, especially when it comes to the servos. Good servos make an airplane fly so much better.
Aug 06, 2012, 02:24 PM
Suspended Account
Well I don't have to worry about quality because I can rest assured that if there is an issue brad will take care of it for me

Quick Reply