This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 04, 2020, 06:15 AM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D model.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eebado
So I'm starting to build the Noob Tube. Ed has specified a 30" wing span with a 5" chord and 1.5" control surface. So far I've only built the fuselage and the tail, but it seems like that size of wing would be a bit small for the other dimensions. I've heard mention on here of others going with a 40" wing span and a 7" chord.

What are other's opinions? This is my first scratch build and my third plane ever. Would a 40" span give me a better flying experience and handling?
A noob tube is square, if you want a bigger wing go for it. You will get a more stable plane that can fly slower but you will loose the agility of the original Noob tube.

About the servo placement, for less drag, you can cut a hole and recess them in the fuselage without weaken it too much. But if you don't , you won't see any difference in flight. They are not fancy planes !
Last edited by fauconnier; Jun 04, 2020 at 06:25 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Jun 04, 2020, 09:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauconnier
A noob tube is square, if you want a bigger wing go for it. You will get a more stable plane that can fly slower but you will loose the agility of the original Noob tube.

About the servo placement, for less drag, you can cut a hole and recess them in the fuselage without weaken it too much. But if you don't , you won't see any difference in flight. They are not fancy planes !
Really? I would have expected the servos to create a large amount of drag. Is placing one servo on either end of the vertical stabilizer a poor idea? Seems like it would be slightly more stable and keep the constant left pull a little lower. Guess I shouldn't care much on my first build that I'm definitely going to end up crashing a bunch.
Jun 05, 2020, 02:36 AM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
Asymmetry on an airplane messes with my brain. I would make the servo placement balanced like you just because it looks better. It's really up to you. Plans are just one person's opinion about how an airplane is supposed to look. It's your airplane, build it to suit yourself.
Jun 05, 2020, 06:28 AM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D model.
On this type of planes there is a bunch of little things you don't really control. At the end they will have much more effect on the flight behaviour than the servos drag.

Ed's philosophy is to build a simple affordable plane that fly for awhile. There is hundreds of things you can do to complicate original design and create a superior plane. This thread pages are full of those improvements. Experiment, be proud of your work and have fun.
Jun 08, 2020, 05:07 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fauconnier
On this type of planes there is a bunch of little things you don't really control. At the end they will have much more effect on the flight behaviour than the servos drag.

Ed's philosophy is to build a simple affordable plane that fly for awhile. There is hundreds of things you can do to complicate original design and create a superior plane. This thread pages are full of those improvements. Experiment, be proud of your work and have fun.
Ya very true, thanks for the advice
Jun 08, 2020, 04:20 PM
Having a hard time searching for reference to it, but has anyone tried to do a "Power Pod" type, swappable engine assembly like they use on FliteTest? Would be nice to be able to quickly swap the electronics between different builds.

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/f...-power-pod-kit
Jun 10, 2020, 11:46 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eebado
Having a hard time searching for reference to it, but has anyone tried to do a "Power Pod" type, swappable engine assembly like they use on FliteTest? Would be nice to be able to quickly swap the electronics between different builds.

https://www.flitetest.com/articles/f...-power-pod-kit
It's all about CG. Keeping the RX, ESC and motor in a removable carrier would added weight to the nose, moving the CG forward. To compensate you'd have to move the wing forward or move the battery aft on all the planes that take the removable carrier.
Jun 10, 2020, 12:15 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by steve_rc
It's all about CG. Keeping the RX, ESC and motor in a removable carrier would added weight to the nose, moving the CG forward. To compensate you'd have to move the wing forward or move the battery aft on all the planes that take the removable carrier.
Following Flite Test, it looks like the pod is about 10 inches long which would give some ability to spread out the electronics. But yes that would most likely mean the battery would need to go further back... I'll play around with it and see if it will work.

I have about a month until my RX and servos get here from China so I've got some time
Jun 10, 2020, 01:36 PM
flyin' fool
There's a reason the most efficient flying birds have many hollow bones. It's all about wing loading. The same applies to our models.

If you want an exceptional flyer, keep it simple and build it as light as possible. Light is MIGHT!!

Everything to do with flying electric powered models is a compromise, gain something here, loose something over there. There's a very long list of all the negative aspects of building too heavy.
Last edited by goldguy; Jun 10, 2020 at 01:45 PM.
Jun 10, 2020, 01:44 PM
flyin' fool
If your a new RC pilot your going to crash................ lots!!

For less tears, check this out ................... https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=337

Quick Reply