This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 24, 2019, 06:22 PM
I've tried the lamenating the curved foam wing pieces together for a stronger stiffer wing, if this first one works I'm going to try a semisymetrical wing for a foam version of the falcon and maybe the ugly stick
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2020, 03:50 PM

Servos for photon

What size servos do I need for the elevator and rudder. I have the little blue Hitec servos which are 9 ounces and would like to use them. Next size up is the Hitec 81 which are 16 ounces.
Also, what servos for the ailerons.
Feb 03, 2020, 10:08 AM
All Experimental Airlines planes use 9g servos.
Feb 26, 2020, 03:18 AM
Just trying not to reinvent the wheel, but I’m having difficulty with mechanical stability of building long thin (one layer of DTFB tapered down to a fine edge) ailerons for my DTFB DLG. So far I’ve tried capping the top side of the DTFB aileron with 1/20” sheet balsa, which helped stiffen the aileron temporarily, but there is now warps in the aileron. I am thinking of trying covering the DTFB (paper removed) aileron with 1.5oz glass cloth or paper with either epoxy or polycrylic or diluted white glue. What do you all think? I’d like to minimize my experimentations if possible. Any proven simpler ways to make ‘stiff, thin, light weight’ ailerons out of DTFB?
Feb 26, 2020, 04:49 PM
no
if you want a stiffer aileron goto elmers foam I use it when I want a stiffer stronger part, the weight isn't that different,
I lamaneted pieces of dtf together it worked well, but I've found that thge dtf will hold a wing curve well enough without help, so it was addes weight and stiffness, I'm currentle looking into a small ugly stick to have some fun with on the curved foam process
Mar 02, 2020, 06:29 PM

Photon Thrust Angle

I've just completed a Photon and the maiden was not successful. The motor was straight on with no right thrust or down angle.

How are any of you mounting the motor as far as right and down thrust?

Thanks.
Mar 05, 2020, 08:21 AM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by tomlogan1
I've just completed a Photon and the maiden was not successful. The motor was straight on with no right thrust or down angle.

How are any of you mounting the motor as far as right and down thrust?

Thanks.
I always build firewalls to be square to or at lright angle to the fuselage line and when I mount the motor I add small flat washers between the motor mounting legs and the firewall at the top to tip the motor down and on the right side to tip it to the right. It only takes 2 or 3 washers to do that and then I add washers as necessary to fill any gaps between the other motor mounting legs and the firewall.

Jack
Mar 07, 2020, 08:04 PM

Thrust angle

Thanks for your reply. I've done the same with my Albatross as the manufacturer provided direction on thrust angle. Since this is a different configuration and I was unable find any information on it I started out straight. Have now shimmed the motor and looking for a chance to re-maiden.
May 30, 2020, 07:16 PM
What is used to get that nice glossy finish on the planes that protects the foam board? Is that tape or a paint?
May 30, 2020, 08:08 PM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eebado
What is used to get that nice glossy finish on the planes that protects the foam board? Is that tape or a paint?
In most cases colored package sealing tape like you see here:

https://tinyurl.com/y7tza5yq

If the foam has a plastic covering on one side the tape will stick very well, for bare foam spray a light coat of Duro or 3M 77 aerosol spray adhesive on the bare foam, let it set for a few minutes, and the tape will stick very well.

Just put it on with a little overlap between pieces and it will look great. You can look at the airplane builds and wing builds on my blog page to see many examples of it being used.

https://tinyurl.com/y9jdrl7w

The image is from from my Big Blue 96" glider build and shows typical results...

Jack
May 31, 2020, 04:56 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes
In most cases colored package sealing tape like you see here:

https://tinyurl.com/y7tza5yq

If the foam has a plastic covering on one side the tape will stick very well, for bare foam spray a light coat of Duro or 3M 77 aerosol spray adhesive on the bare foam, let it set for a few minutes, and the tape will stick very well.

Just put it on with a little overlap between pieces and it will look great. You can look at the airplane builds and wing builds on my blog page to see many examples of it being used.

https://tinyurl.com/y9jdrl7w

The image is from from my Big Blue 96" glider build and shows typical results...

Jack
Looking through the forums it looks like everyone likes to work with DTFB a bit differently. Would you recommend that colored tape directly on the DTFB without removing the paper?
Jun 01, 2020, 05:14 AM
Jack
Quote:
Looking through the forums it looks like everyone likes to work with DTFB a bit differently. Would you recommend that colored tape directly on the DTFB without removing the paper?
I only messed with DTFB once and that was quite some time ago. As I recall it, some of their foam had paper that had to be soaked with water to remove it and later they had foam that had paper on it that could be peeled off cleanly. But I was also starting to use the fan folded 24" x 48" insulation foam (1/4" +/- thick, thin plastic on one side) and it proved to be much superior to DTFB and I quit using that.

For each of us, there is some variation in what materials are available and how we can use them. And you just have to find out what works well for others and copy that method or work out a method that works well.

I was locked in to building KF style wings because of their superior flying traits and the fan folded foam leant itself to the process of adding spars and KF steps to the wings so I never got very far away from that.

So what materials you can get decides a lot for you as far as what you can do...

Jack
Jun 01, 2020, 05:30 AM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
Quote:
I use DTFB most of the time. It's inexpensive and readily available here. I use colored tape on top of the paper for color trim only. Covering the whole surface would add weight and the added strength is usually not needed. I cover the entire surface when the paper is removed because the foam is very weak without a skin. I prefer document laminating film over tape for skinning DTFB. Laminating film is colorless but there are no seams like with tape.
Jun 02, 2020, 10:17 AM
So I'm starting to build the Noob Tube. Ed has specified a 30" wing span with a 5" chord and 1.5" control surface. So far I've only built the fuselage and the tail, but it seems like that size of wing would be a bit small for the other dimensions. I've heard mention on here of others going with a 40" wing span and a 7" chord.

What are other's opinions? This is my first scratch build and my third plane ever. Would a 40" span give me a better flying experience and handling?
Jun 03, 2020, 05:34 PM
I'm building the Noob Tube and I'm actually fairly concerned by the placement of the servos. Isn't there a better place than both on the same side of the stabilizer? Wouldn't at least putting one on one side and one on the other offset a little bit of the drag created by them?

Quick Reply