Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 19, 2018, 03:13 AM
Using foam board...for KF wings ..
To save weight, remove the paper between the laminated foam wing layers, leaving the outer paper layer in place...
Note..1.. the cheap foam board, paper on, weighs the same as 6mm depron...
Note..2.. KF wings always work well on any powered model... types KFm2/KFm3/KFm4..
to remove ads between posts
Oct 04, 2018, 10:05 AM
aka Tony
I used the Armin wing technique for my DTF wing and find that it is virtually indestructible.
The wing helped me to re-learn aileron flying, so, many many thanks to its designer.
Presently I plan to build another plane with the same wing plan.
The only thing I would like to do with the wing is to give it a somewhat stiffer surface, at least at the top.
The present wing does not take well to light surface scratches.
Going for a more scale look.
Would appreciate any and all suggestions toward this end.
Thanks
Scratch>>>
Oct 04, 2018, 12:37 PM
Too old to rock-n-roll...
You can protect the surface and add strength using iron on document laminating film. It comes as light as 1.5 mil. Look for Doculam. I have used it with good results. I have also used colored dollar store cellophane gift wrap applied with spray adhesive. It adds strength and color like tape without the seam lines.
Oct 04, 2018, 01:22 PM
Penny. Penny. Penny
I bought some Duck Tape in several bright colors. Now I'm wondering if this tape is too heavy.
Oct 04, 2018, 02:46 PM
aka Tony
Thanks for the tips 2jung.
Found what I was looking for on the "Newspaper-glue covering improvement"thread.
Ilasov:
I used "Duck Tape" brand to trim my first foamy.
It flew, but I found it to be too heavy.
Look for the clear packing tape. Works a treat.
Also there is colored packing tape available at the big box stores or on-line.
You will have to pay a bit more for it.
Scratch>>>
Oct 04, 2018, 02:48 PM
Jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasov
I bought some Duck Tape in several bright colors. Now I'm wondering if this tape is too heavy.
is it the 2.2 mil or so package sealing tape? Or the duct tape with nylon fibers running it's length?

Duck sells a lot of different tapes in many colors but the only one I would used for wing coverings and to add color to a build would be the package sealing tape. And when I apply that to foam (like FFF or DTFB) I spray a light coat of DURO All Purpose Spray Adhesive 01-81088 (like 3M 77 but a lot cheaper) to the bare foam to improve the adhesion between the tape and foam. And that combination of tape and adhesive also adds considerable stiffness and strength to a foamie build.

Jack
Oct 04, 2018, 02:58 PM
Penny. Penny. Penny
Quote:
Originally Posted by jackerbes
is it the 2.2 mil or so package sealing tape? Or the duct tape with nylon fibers running it's length?

I'm not sure. I will look at the tape when I get home.

Duck sells a lot of different tapes in many colors but the only one I would used for wing coverings and to add color to a build would be the package sealing tape. And when I apply that to foam (like FFF or DTFB) I spray a light coat of DURO All Purpose Spray Adhesive 01-81088 (like 3M 77 but a lot cheaper) to the bare foam to improve the adhesion between the tape and foam. And that combination of tape and adhesive also adds considerable stiffness and strength to a foamie build.

Jack
I practiced applying the tape last night and found that it stuck quite well. The first few tries resulted in many wrinkles. After a while I got much better. I guess, in order to save weight, I could cover the Nutball with mostly clear packing tape and use the color tape for accents and such.
Oct 04, 2018, 05:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scratch99
...The present wing does not take well to light surface scratches.
Going for a more scale look....
What's been working for me is printed bond paper applied with WBPU and 1.5 mil laminating film ironed on over that. Squeegee and wipe off as much of the WBPU as possible to save weight. The paper will turn translucent when it's wet, but dry white. Colored foam can still show a bit through the paper, so you may want to start with a coat of paint/primer, brushed on, squeegeed off and wiped off with a paper towel. I'm finding what's left will still help the color from showing through. The nice thing about the printed paper is you can put in a lot of scale detail very precisely with essentially no weight gain.

Check out the Big Pink Beaver thread for a good example of the paper-over-foam approach. See the newspaper-glue thread for how to apply the paper.
Oct 05, 2018, 04:48 AM
Reap the wild wind
For even more scale designs using paper on foam have a look here
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...nd-more-Part-2
Andy
Oct 05, 2018, 06:01 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by llasov
You probably have the colored duct tape with reinforcing fibers. It's heavy but it's okay for adding a bit of color and adding strength at the same time. Use it judiciously on the leading edge and wingtips and it will protect those spots without adding too much weight. A strip of color added to wing dihedral joints adds strength there too. You can cut it lengthwise into strips to save weight. I don't use it much anymore but the available selection of colors and patterns with low price makes it attractive.

Clear packing tape works great and is lighter than the colored duct tape. The cheaper the tape the thinner and lighter the film. I use it all the time. The colored packing tape is great for adding color and protection but the overlapping seams are visible.

I experimented with dollar store colored cellophane gift wrap applied with Loctite spray adhesive. Spray the dull side of the gift wrap and let it dry. Lay the wrap on the bare foam and smooth out wrinkles. It can be repositioned. Use an ordinary clothes iron set to synthetics to activate the adhesive and attach it to the foam. The gift wrap acts a lot like model airplane covering film and shrinks with heat so the foam will curl if used on one side only. The curl is flattened out by bending the foam in the opposite direction. The colored gift wrap adds strength and color at the same time without tape seams and less weight. It can be used just like conventional heat shrink covering film on light weight balsa frame airplanes too.

I've been using a lot of 1.5 mil document laminating film for covering lately. It has heat activated adhesive on one side. It is cloudy at first and becomes crystal clear when heated with an iron. Turn up the heat and it shrinks. A member on RCG gave me some to try and I really like it. One downside is it is sold in huge 500 foot rolls so you better like it if you're gonna buy some. It accepts all kinds of paint if color is desired.

Jon
Last edited by TooJung2Die; Oct 05, 2018 at 06:11 AM.
Oct 05, 2018, 10:40 PM
I use the clear packing tape from Walmart. It sells for a dollar per roll. And adds about 10 grams to a foam board with single side taped.
Oct 05, 2018, 10:43 PM
Wanted to know what you think.... would a 4.3 gram servo work on ailerons for a 60 WS photon in gentle flying?

Oct 31, 2018, 05:59 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by dropout
Wanted to know what you think.... would a 4.3 gram servo work on ailerons for a 60 WS photon in gentle flying?

Depends on the stall torque rating and the strength of the gears. I'm using 9g towerpro servos oln a scaled up qv3d 38" which has large control surfaces and seems to work (but that's not to say the servos might not burn oiutnor strip gears under the strain)
Oct 31, 2018, 06:13 PM
Is there any way of straghting foam board that's had paper removed from 1 side. The stuff I have is the heavier fosmbosrfd that you need to heat up to get the paper to come off. It curves once the paper is removed.

Tried fibre tape under tension helped a little but it's still curved
Oct 31, 2018, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound
Is there any way of straghting foam board that's had paper removed from 1 side. The stuff I have is the heavier fosmbosrfd that you need to heat up to get the paper to come off. It curves once the paper is removed.

Tried fibre tape under tension helped a little but it's still curved
Curl it in the other direction over the edge of a table. The same technique used to make airfoils with the paper removed inside and left outside.

Quick Reply