Foamboard Scratchbuild University - Page 394 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 16, 2018, 02:16 PM

Another source for better quality foam board

FYI, if you live in the west coast near LA or SF, Tokyo Central has in stock multicolored better quality foam board. The paper appears to be higher quality as well as the adhesive to the foam. Looks about the same size as the DTFB. Itís alittle more expensive than DTFB at $1.50 per sheet.
to remove ads between posts
Apr 20, 2018, 06:55 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by rhokita
FYI, if you live in the west coast near LA or SF, Tokyo Central has in stock multicolored better quality foam board. The paper appears to be higher quality as well as the adhesive to the foam. Looks about the same size as the DTFB. Itís alittle more expensive than DTFB at $1.50 per sheet.
Wow that's cheap! Locally I paid £10 for 5 sheets of foamboard that is quite a bit heavier that dtfb. And only availible in white or black. That's why I moved to hk foam and coloured packing g tspe
Apr 21, 2018, 01:59 AM
HK foam is fine... also check out the Diall xps board from B&Q...its a 5mm light weight green material..24" wide and works well ,
Use identical building methods. The 22" below is made from the Diall board
https://www.diy.com/departments/dial...1570772_BQ.prd

more on my mini blitz... speed delta... previous post 5881
on 3s its great...
the videos are of the 22" version with central fin and rudder...using a 3s 450
22inch mini blitz 1 18 april 2018 (6 min 50 sec)

22inch mini blitz 2 18 april 2018 (4 min 49 sec)

Below is the closest drawing to the original 20" blitz model... for its build dimensions .. the original is slightly smaller and has twin fins with no rudder
Here is a link to my build thread on both sizes.... for all the info in one place..
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...tz-speed-delta

the 20" version should be easy to cut from the cheap foam board or from the hobbyking 5mm foam
dont forget the laminating film for a tough model.
Last edited by davereap; Apr 30, 2018 at 12:19 AM.
Apr 24, 2018, 12:58 AM
And on the Mini Blitz, I have just built the basic 20" version in 6mm depron foam... It is a KFm2 wing
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...tz-speed-delta
its a cutie that should go fast..
A foamboard build will work nicely.. as the board weighs much the same as the 6mm depron I used, its an easy build from 1 sheet of foam..

Yes it does go fast.... I am still making adjustments, two props are going to be trialed... a 5x4.5 triblade and a 6x3.. the 6x4 used in the video seemed to draw a lot from the lipo.. although it went well enough..
I have cut the fins down slightly, their height is now 87.5mm.. this is trying to get a better flight angle whilst in ta banked turn, on flight1 the nose was dropping as the model was banked over.
the flight was mostly at 25% throttle...
20inch mini blitz 1 24 april 2018 on 3s 6x4 (4 min 51 sec)

Its now been given a good bashing and thrashing... using a Dalprop5x4.5 triblade it goes very nicely.. I have crashed it a few times hard, doing cart wheels across my field..lol..
and it is very tough, no damages at all.. the dalprop is unbreakable so its all a good match.. speed is not hypersonic, but thats down to my setup..
It is however fast enough and very smooth once its been trimmed properly..
The COG is 10mm in front of the KF step at the centre/root of the wing.. control movements are best kept small , well below 1/2" and very low rates were needed..
more videos are on my thread.. check out the crashes...
Last edited by davereap; May 04, 2018 at 10:22 AM.
Apr 29, 2018, 10:42 PM
Epilepsy Awareness
Great thread. I'll be following Guys and Girls.

Mike.
May 22, 2018, 11:48 AM
Outlaw
thanks for the construction tips!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...ostcount=27958
Latest blog entry: FPV 250 Cruiser Quad

Quick Reply