Foamboard Scratchbuild University - Page 392 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 13, 2018, 03:15 AM
The propellants in most aerosols tend to eat foam. have you tried google? alot of answers to be found simply by using google. i know because i searched the same thing a while back when i considered spray painting foam models. theres a particular make of spraypaint that is foam safe
to remove ads between posts
Feb 13, 2018, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bazsound
The propellants in most aerosols tend to eat foam. have you tried google? alot of answers to be found simply by using google. i know because i searched the same thing a while back when i considered spray painting foam models. theres a particular make of spraypaint that is foam safe
Yes I did try googling, I'm just getting information from people here who has first hand experience.
Feb 13, 2018, 03:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Flynn203
That can be a problem. Have you tried laminating and spraying on top? The laminate add strength for very little weight. Here's a spray on top of laminate that I posted earlier. Will be prone to rubbing off, but that can be reduced using a fixative, and hey, it's a foamy, they won't last forever anyway.
Was also thinking of doing such. But would take more time.
Feb 13, 2018, 01:16 PM
used to build now i fly
to all those who bought the water bug III at the dayton swap meet thank you and report back on your fun flying ahead
Feb 13, 2018, 07:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by junmarD4th
Hi y'all! I just started building scratchbuilt planes last year, specifically those flite test plans. I tried spray painting using those cans readily available from homedepot, wm, etc. But, it eats the foam. Also tried putting in min wax like ft has suggeested but sims like the foam board and the paper became a little brittle.

Do you guys have tried spray paints that works? Like not eat the foam?

Thanks,
Don
I use the brown craft paper and wood glue myself
Try this is works, you can use newspaper also,
Flite Test | Waterproof Your Airplane (6 min 16 sec)

and
Tutorial 3: paper coating foam wings (9 min 31 sec)
Last edited by FeWolf; Feb 13, 2018 at 07:14 PM.
Feb 13, 2018, 10:08 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeWolf
I use the brown craft paper and wood glue myself
Try this is works, you can use newspaper also, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UbYeKf4RZTU&t=50s

and
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IDGgj7UehVI
Thanks.
Did you also remove the paper before putting in the craft paper?
Feb 14, 2018, 05:03 AM
junmarD4th - you will first need to use oil based minwax to treat the DTFB paper. Brush it on so it gets damp and wipe off any excess. Once that drys the paper will take any kind of spray paint but still use light coats. I also recommend use hot glue to seal any exposed edges so the propellant does “eat” those areas.
Feb 14, 2018, 09:22 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jpot1
junmarD4th - you will first need to use oil based minwax to treat the DTFB paper. Brush it on so it gets damp and wipe off any excess. Once that drys the paper will take any kind of spray paint but still use light coats. I also recommend use hot glue to seal any exposed edges so the propellant does “eat” those areas.
Thanks. That's what I did. Also sealed the edges using hot glue but the propellant still find a gap, even a dot gap, and then eats the foam inside.
Feb 14, 2018, 09:27 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by junmarD4th
Thanks.
Did you also remove the paper before putting in the craft paper?
Yes and No, be depends on the foam, if the foam had a paper covering, i did most of the time or I applied a thicker mixture of glue and let it dry, then I applied the thinner mixture, I would suggest trying it on a few scrapes of foam before you go on. The paper/glue provide strength, onething I forgot, you can add alittle water base paint to the water/glue mixture , it will sort of make a base color, works as a primer, I use black or gray or white.
Last edited by FeWolf; Feb 14, 2018 at 09:35 AM.
Feb 14, 2018, 11:07 PM
junmarD4th,
You can spray the foam without any treatments using Krylon "shortcuts" (only avail. in small bottles), Testors "masters". There are a few more, but those are the most readily available and least expensive. Alternatively you can get an airbrush (harbor freight $10-15) and spray any water base paint (will have to be thinned to prevent clogging), I use the $.99 Apple Barrel brand from Wally World.
Feb 14, 2018, 11:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by sixfins
junmarD4th,
You can spray the foam without any treatments using Krylon "shortcuts" (only avail. in small bottles), Testors "masters". There are a few more, but those are the most readily available and least expensive. Alternatively you can get an airbrush (harbor freight $10-15) and spray any water base paint (will have to be thinned to prevent clogging), I use the $.99 Apple Barrel brand from Wally World.
Do I need a pump for that air brush?
Feb 15, 2018, 07:09 AM
Many airbrush kits come with a small compressor but the short answer is "yes, of course you will".
Feb 15, 2018, 09:59 AM
Reap the wild wind
It might be possible to use the compressed air from an old spare tyre. The pressure will drop as you use it but might work ok for small jobs. You can also buy compressed air cannisters if you don't want the expense of a compressor. Not a long term solution but lets you try without too much investment
Andy
Feb 17, 2018, 08:52 AM
Aka "DiveBomb"
Depending on the brand, I have had luck spraying the can first away from the plan and then doing short runs further than 12" It takes more lighter coats, but the chemicals that eat the foam are dispersed with this method.

This worked with Krylon for plastic and some other $.99 Walmart brand.

Please, but sure to try on a scrap foam first to both get the technique down, and confirm that your paint will work.

If memory serves if plastic was not listed on the can, then skip the paint as its makeup will just be to harsh.
Feb 17, 2018, 08:56 AM
Aka "DiveBomb"
Quote:
Originally Posted by FeWolf
I have a question, is it possible to use a use ArmA wing with a 30 inch core as I was looking at the wing support system and form I would have to build
Sorry FeWolf, I wasn't fully understanding what your asking. Are you talking about making a 30 inch wing? If so this is just one piece of Arman wing. The stock NubeTube uses this and it can be a handful for a beginner.

A 3inch cord would be fine, I used a 3.5" cord for my Baby APD I think.

30" cord is out of my paygrade

Quick Reply