Foamboard Scratchbuild University - Page 388 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Dec 02, 2017, 05:24 PM
do a search for any build done by sparks. Sparky works with all foams but mostly fanfold, blue, pink and depron.

Also look up Parkflyer Plaztics

charlie
to remove ads between posts
Dec 03, 2017, 04:12 AM
Thanks fellows,
In facts I had been looking around in most named threads for a long time still in vain,only very few poople doing with this tech individually, it's more like modeling,both RC and modeling are good hobby,hope every one has their fun on that,
thanks to guys who had helped,
I guess that's about all I can find, thanks any way.
Last edited by osern; Dec 03, 2017 at 09:51 PM.
Dec 03, 2017, 07:50 AM
Do you mean like this one?
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...flying-birddog
Dec 03, 2017, 08:54 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by portablevcb
Thanks,Charlie
That build used some bending tech on the tail part,that's something I'v been looking for,
but I meant to find a thread contains about building airplane with depron "board" into very" smooth round shape in most parts " without have to do much sanding work,not in square box like shape,that's more involved in modeling issue instead of ask for templates.

For an example,can you give me a template of draw that I can build a "bomb" or "drop tank"?
What would you do to build a nose cone ,seaplane buoy or drop tank ?

Most will naturally sculpt or sand a foam brick to shape them,
This is what I would do with the tech I'd mentioned to build drop tank:
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...F#post38734273
That's most people can't image with that a fragile foam board can do that,and that's why I try to introduce them to this thread with relative title on it ,can't think out of other proper category of thread to input,
how ever it's really really rarely seen.

I thought this tech must be introduced to my country from your thread initially,how ever it's more vivid developed in Asia,Taiwan or somewhere I'd seen in Germany with a young man,
Sadly to say,there are fewer and fewer RC player build airplanes on their own with too much time but just buying prefabricate ones everywhere in the world,
so you see it's how difficult to find a bosom mate could understand what I'm talking about those bending depron foam board, bla bla,things.

Still am very joyful to see you guys flying swift building wins for pure pleasant of flying,that's great.

cheers
Last edited by osern; Dec 03, 2017 at 11:05 PM. Reason: poor English texting
Dec 03, 2017, 10:49 AM
Reap the wild wind
Is this more like it? Pontious builds large airframes and skins them with 6mm depron
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=32
Check out his other builds
Andy
Dec 03, 2017, 08:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by headlessagain
Is this more like it? Pontious builds large airframes and skins them with 6mm depron
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...8&postcount=32
Check out his other builds
Andy
Thank you for digging out this for me ,Andy,sir

That is more like it, but being in the initial level of this developing method.

That building sliced the fuselage into too many vertical sections to stack up the curve profile,
not only increase the weight with glue and extra bridging rib frames but also not into a slick curve,
this initial form seems to inherit thinking way from balsa building and resembles to paper model ways,
However it's reasonable and unavoidable to build large scale models with consideration of structure strength and handy size of boards to work with.
I do appreciate and respect all his fine works,people in UK could have done so many delicate art of work on that!

The latest development on this is using minimum slice of panel skins to form up the fuselage
,you'll see what I mean with seeing the example of building a "drop tank" I'd taken,
We can simply use 3 or some pieces of panel skin to form up the shape of drop tank or whole fuselage into lighter and slick result with latest developed method.
If we build with initial balsa sections building way, it might take 8 sections to come out with heavier and less slick profile of drop tank or nose cone,not to mention it'll take much more steps to joint those sections.

Compares to Pontious 's building on the dull rounded nose cone,we don't need to stack countless foam profiles to pile up the shape and to do too much sanding,
that can be done with 1 piece of curved skin panels with little sanding job on seam lines.

As I'd tried to explain, most of people won't get the idea that surfaces with curved edges could bend and merge into round shape in 3 dimensions space,some thing like a globe,that's why it's rarely seen .

cheers

Osern Chang
Last edited by osern; Dec 03, 2017 at 11:01 PM. Reason: poor English texting
Dec 03, 2017, 11:51 PM
Sounds like you need to go to heat/hot moulding on the foam, to get perfect shapes, that is more work than most of us will bother with..

An alternative using flat foam is to use a program like sketchup to make your 3D model, then from sketchup using a plugin, you can do an "unfold". the result being a flat template, that gets cut , bent and glued back to the 3D shape..

By far the majority of our models are made by keeping them as simple as possible.. even though we do appreciate a well built scale like finish.
Last edited by davereap; Dec 07, 2017 at 02:40 AM.
Dec 04, 2017, 01:38 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by davereap
Sounds like you need to go to heat/hot moulding on the foam, to get perfect shapes, that is more work than most of us will bother with..

An alternative using flat foam is to use a program like sketchup to make your 3D model, then from sketchup using a plugin, you can do an "unfold". the result being a flat template, that gets cut , bent and glued back to the 3D shape..

By far the majority of our models are made by keeping them as simple as possible.. even though we do appreciate a well build scale like finish.
Thanks,sir
I know the trick that use CAD to unwrap or unfold 3D models into printed templates with PCs,usually they'll out put a result with too many sections to build as I mentioned about too many sections cause less slick of curve profile due to its algorithm,and take time to put together.

so I'd developed my own way to unfold them with simplified and reasonable layout of unfold template to shape into 3D,with knowing some characteristic of foam board ,there's no need for hot mold to do with round shape in most cases,
it's way easy to do in a way like building as simple as possible and with benefit to make them look scale.
Some of the modeler using this way of thinking to create numerous fatty cartoon airplanes,I believe they won't be harder than your building,
I think it worth a try and just take it as a bobby for fun,why not?

regards

Osern
Dec 04, 2017, 05:45 AM
It sounds like you are on your own.

You are bending some of the compound curve into the foam before joining it. Kind of a combination of forming and sheeting. Don't know a way to calculate that ahead of time. I'd do the forming first, then cut the critical angles and finish.

From repeated attempts you can probably use the regular lofting programs to start with, maybe cut a little oversize, form, trim and join.

If you show your techniques in your build thread in more detail it might help.

Not sure this thread is where you need to show this.

charlie
Dec 04, 2017, 08:17 PM
Quote:
It sounds like you are on your own.

You are bending some of the compound curve into the foam before joining it. Kind of a combination of forming and sheeting. Don't know a way to calculate that ahead of time. I'd do the forming first, then cut the critical angles and finish.

From repeated attempts you can probably use the regular lofting programs to start with, maybe"

If you show your techniques in your build thread in more detail it might help.

Yes,sir
It's just like that simple as you said about "bending some of the compound curve into the foam before joining it. Kind of a combination of forming and sheeting",

Simply take origin profile of 3-view which contains curve edges as templates,but shrink a bit along outlines for 3% or so for they'll overlap with other view of profiles that will stack out some thickness,some thin parts like wing need to expand outline for some percentage depending on thickness of building material.any surface angle greater than 45degree should be made with separating cut line or v-snatches on it,some need to be closed as a partition area to be an independent part individually,put them together after.

If you practice some rolling and bending with foam board and make chamfering (canted cut edges) in mini scale first,some strip pieces could be bent with two direction,inward and downward at the same time that would help to seal parts into round bullet shape.
You 'll find that you don't need to calculate any thing but test them with paper template first,they'll shape up into 3D with proper curvature,nothing tough like rocket science that I figured out on my own with bending tech from this thread.

Quote:

Not sure this thread is where you need to show this.

charlie
Well,this very thread started this tech first.if you guys wish to end this for good, that'll be a waste for its title with "foam board","University" and "Mini-How to",IMO.
I'should sadly step back down and leave you guys alone,
don't wanna screw up the fun it used to be with or shift your original goal,
simply try to introduce back to you,and for the last try.

DIY RC Plane Build - Cartoon Fattie (13 min 9 sec)

A young man from Germany did some thing like that,that's the sprite if you see.
Last edited by osern; Dec 09, 2017 at 10:42 AM. Reason: poor English texting
Dec 07, 2017, 09:21 PM
If it flies - I want one!

Moulding Depron

There was an interesting short article on Depron moulding in Radio Control Models & Electronics (RCME) issue October 2017.
The author used a male solid foam plug, covered the outside surface of the 3mm Depron with packaging tape, bound the Depron to the plug with more tape then put the whole lot in the oven (90 deg C, turn oven off when the job goes in) and left it for 12-15 minutes. Results looked very promising when he peeled the tape off the two half fuselage shells illustrated.
I would also recommend having a good look at the threads and blog by Lockey here on RCGroups - he does some lovely work in shaped Depron too.
Cheers,
PeteM
Dec 07, 2017, 11:38 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Petem
There was an interesting short article on Depron moulding in Radio Control Models & Electronics (RCME) issue October 2017.
The author used a male solid foam plug, covered the outside surface of the 3mm Depron with packaging tape, bound the Depron to the plug with more tape then put the whole lot in the oven (90 deg C, turn oven off when the job goes in) and left it for 12-15 minutes. Results looked very promising when he peeled the tape off the two half fuselage shells illustrated.
I would also recommend having a good look at the threads and blog by Lockey here on RCGroups - he does some lovely work in shaped Depron too.
Cheers,
PeteM
Thanks,Petem
I admire Australian people also having done with delicate models that I'v seen tons of them.
Molding is a professional modeling tech,what I'm seeking for is simple and fast ways to be scale.

Thanks for sharing,it's very useful in building for complex compound curve parts.

Osern
Last edited by osern; Dec 08, 2017 at 02:05 AM.
Dec 07, 2017, 11:56 PM
If it flies - I want one!
Beautiful work! I think you are well ahead of most of us already.
Dec 08, 2017, 12:17 AM
Quote:
Beautiful work! I think you are well ahead of most of us already.
Thanks Petem,again
I'm not looking for approve or credit,
just I thought that's as easy as in kids craft art work and how come no one dose that.
it's odd for me.

Osern
Last edited by osern; Dec 08, 2017 at 12:59 AM. Reason: miss spelling
Dec 10, 2017, 10:54 AM
The Junk Man
Quote:
Cheers,
PeteM
Check out pmullen503's great hot molded builds. He has been using that technique for a long time now.

Here is one of his first and explains the process. Check out his blog for links to his other builds using hot molded foam.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...hlight=ki%2046

Tom