Foamboard Scratchbuild University - Page 381 - RC Groups
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 09, 2017, 06:14 PM
Thanks for the replies fellas. The black DTFB is the same stuff I assume, just different colored paper?
to remove ads between posts
Apr 09, 2017, 11:23 PM
Aka "DiveBomb"
Correct it is the same.
Apr 10, 2017, 07:53 PM
This is a wonderful group of information. Please make it a sticky.
Thanks Bob
Apr 12, 2017, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Loppycopter
This is a wonderful group of information. Please make it a sticky.
Thanks Bob

It already is
Apr 12, 2017, 01:27 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Iktomi
It already is
Yeah, but you can peel it off if needs be.
Apr 15, 2017, 11:15 PM
It may be , with the latest new $ boards that the paper will have to be removed, and the foam then taped over.. flite test mentioned the new paper covering is easily pulled apart .. where the old stuff has some strength ...
They were plugging their waterproof board, which is stronger..
In the UK we cant easily get the paper covered cheap foam boards.. we can however get the hobbyking uncovered foam and depron foams, and these are fine, I tape cover them for strength and stiffness.
Apr 16, 2017, 05:06 AM
Reap the wild wind
Only ever used foamboard once but I bought mine from Hobbycraft http://www.hobbycraft.co.uk/art-supp...romsearch=true
Apr 18, 2017, 01:29 AM
they are expensive... go with hobbyking, their uncovered Aero-modelling Foam Board foam is fine..
Aero-modelling Foam Board ... https://hobbyking.com/en_us/aero-mod...0mm-white.html

or go with screwfix.. the vitrex products are ok, but a lot more expensive than Hobbyking.
http://www.screwfix.com/p/vitrex-pre...mm-9-76m/68038

depron is also available... http://www.depron.co.uk/prices.html but is now I think also much too expensive..

best option the hobbyking boards.......3mm/5mm/10mm

tape over for extra strength
Apr 18, 2017, 05:03 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
As previously tested by "Lockey " and myself, HK 'depron' is crap! Way to soft and floppy. It may be OK for very small models but you still have to add some sort of strengthening.- ie- rod, tape .....ect....
This is no where near depron...... So.....the only good side it doesn't cost a lot. But you'll see why when you get it...HTH
Apr 19, 2017, 01:19 AM
Sorry I cant agree with you on the hobbyking foam...its not crap...
Yes it is a fractionally softer foam, vs depron, and lighter, but whatever foam you use, including depron ,you always have to add strengthening into your build methods..
Foam board , paper on, is nice and stiff, take the paper off and its softer than depron..

I now use pallet strapping for spars... a strap/foam/strap sandwich along the wing.. it replaces more expensive CF spars..
I most often use KF wings for my powered models, so the strap goes along the top of the KF step line.. mirrored below the wing

Using a KF gives you a multi layered wing, the laminated layers also work to strengthen your wings

Using depron foam I have always had to use tape, on leading edges and trailing edges and control surfaces.. it stops cracking, and it stiffens up my depron..
note..depron cracks badly with impact or heavy stresses.
Using the HK foam I tape it up just the same ..

For extreme protection , better than tape, but heavier, I now sometimes use laminating film as a covering material.. I use cheap A3 pouches from ebay. they work well..

Adapting your build methods is always necessary.. as foams are all different, however most types can be used, EPS, EPP, XPS, to do so do they just require some different techniques
Last edited by davereap; Apr 19, 2017 at 01:47 AM.
Apr 21, 2017, 07:49 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
The wing span you normally build will suit this soft foam. ... yes you have to use some type of "strengthening" to assist the forces involed.
But calling it anything like depron is false advertising!
The more strengthening you have to use only adds weight ..... simple trade-off...

So for small modes it will be fine,.. ie- 800mm or less, in my experience, .... though I had to use tape and cf rod to get it to fly without deforming. I have had no success with larger models using this foam. I'm not the only one.
Apr 21, 2017, 09:53 PM
Arizona Rim Country
Hey Dave, can you put a link up for the A3 Pouch you mentioned. I'm looking here in the US ebay and I'm not seeing it. Thanks !
Apr 22, 2017, 09:42 AM
gpw
gpw
“There’s no place like Foam”
PCA, always glad to hear from you !!! We're also curious about that “laminating film” ..
Apr 22, 2017, 10:43 AM
Reap the wild wind
I think Stateside builders often refer to laminating film as "New stuff"
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...-The-NEW-stuff!
I bought a 100m roll of 75 micron laminating film for £18 from a print supply company but you can often see it for sale on Ebay. I usually start by covering the bottom of the wing overlapping the le by about an inch. I then cover the top overlapping the bottom again
Lots of flying wing build videos on YT showing how it's applied.
Used it on my EPP Pluto slope wing over some cross weave tape and finished off with coloured packing tape
Andy
Apr 24, 2017, 11:10 PM
Aka "DiveBomb"
I just uploaded a quick video showing some adjustments I have made to Ed's Axon Motor Glider if anyone is interested. This baby can really survey some Nose in landings for sure!

Bonus crash footage at the end putting it to the test lol.
Axon V2 Motor Glider (7 min 35 sec)