This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 17, 2015, 10:59 PM

Motor / ESC / Battery for Noob Tube

I am building a Noob Tube, 30" fuselage, 40" wingspan and thinking about 6" cord. what are some of your recommendations for Motor, ESC and Battery? Looking for a sport plane.

how would this combination be and would you change any of these below?

Motor: Turnigy 2830 Brushless Motor 1000kv
ESC: Turnigy Plush 30A ESC
Battery: ZIPPY Compact 1500mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack
Prop: 9x6
to remove ads between posts
Jun 18, 2015, 02:08 AM
FPV Plank Scratcher
Quote:
Originally Posted by squigintx
I am building a Noob Tube, 30" fuselage, 40" wingspan and thinking about 6" cord. what are some of your recommendations for Motor, ESC and Battery? Looking for a sport plane.

how would this combination be and would you change any of these below?

Motor: Turnigy 2830 Brushless Motor 1000kv
ESC: Turnigy Plush 30A ESC
Battery: ZIPPY Compact 1500mAh 3S 25C Lipo Pack
Prop: 9x6
i would reduce the pitch of the prop i think
Jun 18, 2015, 06:47 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gygax
i would reduce the pitch of the prop i think
Would this setup be good for "pattern" style flying? been out of planes for a few years and electric is a whole new world.

if not a 10-6 prop, what would you recommend?
Last edited by squigintx; Jun 18, 2015 at 09:08 PM.
Jun 20, 2015, 12:55 AM
Whoa……it flies

1m wingspan Synapse

Here's the little beast flying through things. Such fun.

Synapse proximity (2 min 49 sec)
Jun 27, 2015, 02:39 PM

Latest Synapse

Just posting a picture of my latest synapse build. I used all sign vinyl for covering material on this one. It's a bit heavier but makes a nice finish with no seam lines like tape. Unfortunately clipped my launch hand with the prop on the maiden flight. Will learn how to leading edge discus launch or do dead stick launches then throttle up from now on. Bottom of wing is black with red trim. Adding some vinyl wing graphics now.
Jun 27, 2015, 09:52 PM
Whoa……it flies
That is a slick looking Synapse. Mine has dings and chunks missing all over.
Jun 28, 2015, 07:03 AM
Looks great! I have a lot of vynil lying around, I had issues with it sticking and getting brittle because of the cold. Did you use a heat gun or iron for aplication?
Jun 28, 2015, 03:57 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TRichard
Looks great! I have a lot of vynil lying around, I had issues with it sticking and getting brittle because of the cold. Did you use a heat gun or iron for aplication?
I applied the vinyl to the dollar tree foam board before building the wing and fuselage. You have to with this technique as it adds structural integrity to the foam board. Without it when you bend the foam board it just wrinkles. The vinyl is Oracal 651 sign vinyl. A friend is in the sign business and he told me there are many different thickness/weights of vinyl. The 651 worked great. It is a trick to get it on evenly without wrinkling though. You peal about 1" of the backing off to get the application started and then gradually roll the backing off as you press down the vinyl. It just takes a little practice. Unfortunately if it sticks where you don't want it or wrinkles it cannot be pealed up and reapplied as it rips the paper off the foam board.
Jun 28, 2015, 04:07 PM

Wheels

As I mentioned I cut my launch hand on the maiden flight of my new Synapse. I was able to launch it dead stick and then throttle up for several more flights but decided to add some wheels I had laying around. Here are some pics of the gear assembly I built. It may be a bit light weight for this airplane with small wheels and small wire but I'm hoping I can grease my landings (right.....) and it will hold up all right.
Jun 30, 2015, 04:37 PM

newly built synapse

Just finished building my synapse and it's ready for a test flight if this rainy weather ever passes through.
For all previous planes I've built the first launch was none powered to see how they responded. Is that advisable with a wing? CG is at 6.75 to 7.0 inches about 5° up on both elevons, all control surfaces work in the correct direction and throttle is good. Anything I forgot or should check before the maiden?
This is my first foamie build and first wing type plane so the knees will be knocking.

Thanks to Ed at EA for his enthusiastic videos on youtube without which I'd never have attempted this.
Jun 30, 2015, 07:30 PM
I don't have a synapse but I've built a lot of combat wings. This is how I launch them now after lawn darting a few just overhead with enough throttle so it flies out of your hand. The arm follow through brings your hand right down to the elevator stick on the radio. Try it and see. This is not my video btw
The Best Way to Launch a RC Wing (2 min 15 sec)
Jun 30, 2015, 09:45 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Low and Slow
I don't have a synapse but I've built a lot of combat wings. This is how I launch them now after lawn darting a few just overhead with enough throttle so it flies out of your hand. The arm follow through brings your hand right down to the elevator stick on the radio. Try it and see. This is not my video btw
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJL_9gwGRzc
Thanks, I'll keep that in mind. It does look rather awkward though.
Jul 01, 2015, 06:40 AM
Whoa……it flies
Yes do a test glide first. There's a CG calculator for wings online somewhere.
Jul 01, 2015, 12:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anewton
Yes do a test glide first. There's a CG calculator for wings online somewhere.
Thanks Andrew,
Ed at EA recommends about 7 inches for the cg on this wing chord, mine is at about 6.75 to 7.0. If the rain stops I'll try two or three hand launched unpowered flights to see how it goes then go for the maiden. Have my throws at 1/2 inch up and 1/4 inch down for my high 100% rate and low rates at 80% of that, again as recommended by Ed. The expo setting I will play with to see what suits me best with that plane.
The only real concern I have is my Rx placement. My layout is esc at the rear of the fuse then my lipo then my RX in front of that. The lipo is secured but in a nose in crash it will rip out and hit my RX. I've been toying with putting my Rx on the outside of the fuse or even on top of the wing but I wonder about reception. Hmm
Thanks for all the help guys I really do appreciate it.
Peter
Jul 01, 2015, 02:18 PM
Reap the wild wind
Here's a flying wing c of g calculator
http://wingcgcalc.bruder.com.br/en_US/?
Andy

Quick Reply