Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 28, 2015, 05:39 AM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D model.
fauconnier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by IAFoamie
Hi
Found this from a couple years back.
Full sheet with paper, 120 grams. Without paper, 68 grams. So for a full sheet, the paper adds 52 grams, or slightly under 2 oz. Adams foam board found in DTree.
Interesting, the one I buy at my Dollar store is ROSS board by Elmer , not the heavy Elmer board from Target or Walmart. The paper is pure white , not wavy and a lot harder to peel compare to the Adams I bought a couple of years ago , weight differ too.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Mar 30, 2015, 09:26 AM
Registered User
Backyard's Avatar

Axon-Photon


Experimental Airlines Rocks!

First I thought build an Axon as an FPV platform. I made the 6" chord 60" wings folding with full ailerons and thin plastic caps knowing they could be easily shortened. Then I decided to make a 2 1/2" triangle fuselage 46" long. Then I thought raising the elevator into the pusher airstream halfway up the vertical stabilizer would be a good idea (sort of Polaris-like). Then I saw the graceful Photon and made it a tractor with folding prop instead. I installed an Eagle Tree Guardian stabilizer just to play with. Made covers for the ESC forward and the receiver and Eagle Tree aft. No maiden yet. I'll try to post a video when I fly it.

Weight: 645g (1.4lbs.)
Emax 2210/30 1300kv with 9x5 folding prop
ESC 40a
4 X 9g servos
Mar 30, 2015, 01:23 PM
Registered User
mark622's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard
Experimental Airlines Rocks!

First I thought build an Axon as an FPV platform. I made the 6" chord 60" wings folding with full ailerons and thin plastic caps knowing they could be easily shortened. Then I decided to make a 2 1/2" triangle fuselage 46" long. Then I thought raising the elevator into the pusher airstream halfway up the vertical stabilizer would be a good idea (sort of Polaris-like). Then I saw the graceful Photon and made it a tractor with folding prop instead. I installed an Eagle Tree Guardian stabilizer just to play with. Made covers for the ESC forward and the receiver and Eagle Tree aft. No maiden yet. I'll try to post a video when I fly it.

Weight: 645g (1.4lbs.)
Emax 2210/30 1300kv with 9x5 folding prop
ESC 40a
4 X 9g servos
Nice!

I am about to finish up an Axon I made to go as high as possible and just glide around as a camera platform. Plan to take it high at the club and get footage of everyone flying below me, not FPV. Wing is 7 inch chord and 60 inch span with 2.5 inch control surfaces. Only thing that dissapointed me with the build so far is that I am gonna need 2 2200 batteries up front to get it to balance, I even pushed the wing back a bit since it won't have fpv gear, just a keychain camera. It'll be my "lawn chair plane", just plant myself in a chair and float around for a half hour getting footage lol.
Mar 30, 2015, 03:28 PM
Whoa……it flies
anewton's Avatar
Radical Phaxon Backyard. Looking forward to the video.

I just finished a 150% refined Noob Tube-ish acrobat with full flying elevator and vertical stab as part of the fuse. Initially the wing was 1.4m, symmetrical airfoil and tapered, but it was a tip stalling disaster. So I reverted to a standard 1.2m flat bottom straight Armin wing and it's way better.

The axle for the flying stab is 3mm CF rod passing through a brass tube glued into the vertical stab and reinforced with discs of ID card plastic/foam sandwich on each side.

This is really an experiment to test the strength of the slim tail/fuselage and flying stab design, They seem to be holding up OK.

Build and flight videos coming.
Last edited by anewton; Mar 30, 2015 at 03:46 PM.
Mar 30, 2015, 04:12 PM
Registered User
mark622's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by anewton
Radical Phaxon Backyard. Looking forward to the video.

I just finished a 150% refined Noob Tube-ish acrobat with full flying elevator and vertical stab as part of the fuse. Initially the wing was 1.4m, symmetrical airfoil and tapered, but it was a tip stalling disaster. So I reverted to a standard 1.2m flat bottom straight Armin wing and it's way better.

The axle for the flying stab is 3mm CF rod passing through a brass tube glued into the vertical stab and reinforced with discs of ID card plastic/foam sandwich on each side.

This is really an experiment to test the strength of the slim tail/fuselage and flying stab design, They seem to be holding up OK.

Build and flight videos coming.

Nice. I tried making a noob tube with 4 inch control surfaces. I had something like 30% dual rates for the maiden just to see if it would fly, well that wasn't enough elevator and it went splat on the first turn. So I scrapped that idea and finally made a noob tube that was flyable. It flies awesome, but is a trick SOB to land as it gets extremely unstable and is a stall machine at low speeds. In this video I broke a prop on landing.

Noob Tube 40 inch wing span:
Noob Tube 40 inch wing span (7 min 21 sec)
Mar 30, 2015, 11:28 PM
Registered User
Anewton - nice looking plane! What's the covering you're ironing on?
Looking forward to the video.
Mar 31, 2015, 12:41 AM
Whoa……it flies
anewton's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jgroetsema
Anewton - nice looking plane! What's the covering you're ironing on?
Looking forward to the video.
Document laminating film, the stuff you use in a laminator machine. Some folks call it "New Stuff" on the forums, used in Le Fish builds.
You can get 43micron and 75micron thickness which are useful for RC plane covering. I'm using the 75micron on this one. Buy it from office supplies or laminating machine shops. Some hobby shops sell it by the meter.
Last edited by anewton; Mar 31, 2015 at 12:46 AM.
Mar 31, 2015, 06:20 AM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D model.
fauconnier's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by anewton
Document laminating film, the stuff you use in a laminator machine. Some folks call it "New Stuff" on the forums, used in Le Fish builds.
You can get 43micron and 75micron thickness which are useful for RC plane covering. I'm using the 75micron on this one. Buy it from office supplies or laminating machine shops. Some hobby shops sell it by the meter.
Does it shrink ? When hot, is it supple and stretchy enough to shape half an egg for example ? Do you have a good margin of heat to work it before the foam melt ?
Mar 31, 2015, 02:22 PM
Whoa……it flies
anewton's Avatar
It is not the same as traditional shrinking coverings, but tougher and way cheaper.
It doesn't shrink. It is a tiny bit stretchy but you have to make relief cuts and tabs to cover complex curves. Use a clothes iron on Warm or Wool setting. It is well stuck before depron melts and you have even more time on EPP.
Mar 31, 2015, 02:49 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backyard
Experimental Airlines Rocks!

First I thought build an Axon as an FPV platform. I made the 6" chord 60" wings folding with full ailerons and thin plastic caps knowing they could be easily shortened. Then I decided to make a 2 1/2" triangle fuselage 46" long. Then I thought raising the elevator into the pusher airstream halfway up the vertical stabilizer would be a good idea (sort of Polaris-like). Then I saw the graceful Photon and made it a tractor with folding prop instead. I installed an Eagle Tree Guardian stabilizer just to play with. Made covers for the ESC forward and the receiver and Eagle Tree aft. No maiden yet. I'll try to post a video when I fly it.

Weight: 645g (1.4lbs.)
Emax 2210/30 1300kv with 9x5 folding prop
ESC 40a
4 X 9g servos
You certainly have a nice builder's touch. Caution on maiden - the ET Guardian is meant to be installed at CG. At least if I remember the install instructions correctly. One flip of that mode switch could earn you a ticket to Headbanger's Ball 2015.
Apr 03, 2015, 08:03 AM
Registered User
Backyard's Avatar

Nose Job


Thanks for the comments.
Hopefully I can re-build as well!!
On the positive side she soared gracefully but couldn't pull out of a big loop. Too low of course. Elevator throw and or size needs to be increased. The weak point in the fuse was pretty obvious. It was too long anyway. I'll just move the wing back and find a good CG.

The Guardian is completely unnecessary on this plane. I have used it on a few others with intentions to improve AV. Mounting at the fore and aft CG was not practical and I have read that it is pretty tolerant within a few inches. I'm not sure.
Apr 03, 2015, 03:21 PM
Whoa……it flies
anewton's Avatar
My Acrobat nose is starting to look a bit like that.

Here's a build overview video.
1.2m Depron Acrobat build (4 min 58 sec)


Flat field and slope flights
1.2m Acrobat flights (4 min 18 sec)


and dimensions for the fuselage
Last edited by anewton; Apr 03, 2015 at 10:01 PM.
Apr 03, 2015, 09:45 PM
Registered User

twinney


my foam bipe is finally complete and waiting for a good day for the maiden flight. it was built conventionally but with foam and came out 700 grams lighter than the plans specified. the only thing changed on the model was the wing attachment,, they're bolted on and the upper has a hook system, so only 2 screws in the trailing edge of the wing are needed, it has a eflite 15 with a 3s 3300 lipo should be fun
Apr 04, 2015, 04:19 PM
Registered User
Backyard's Avatar
Very cool acrobat and some great building technique.

The Tiger Moth must have been a life changing (and underwear changing) experience. Yep.. I'd do it in a second.
Apr 04, 2015, 05:01 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
Dukejet's Avatar
Great videos! Simple build and good flier. Thank you


Quick Reply
Message:

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log SEW-SLO 30" Foamboard Wing Atx_Heli Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 79 Aug 03, 2019 01:15 PM
Discussion EDF/Motor for University Design Project uwpropulsionguy Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 2 Oct 14, 2018 04:51 AM
Build Log SEW-SLO 30" Foamboard Wing Atx_Heli Flying Wings 0 May 19, 2011 09:47 PM
Question So I have a sheet of $Tree foamboard... what to build? Bomb Dropper Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 15 Mar 23, 2011 02:49 PM