This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Mar 23, 2015, 02:43 PM
My latest foam board creation in action. Used Ed's building techniques, it is essentially a photon with a 48 inch wing span. I call it the Streak. Very fun fast and aerobatic plane to fly.

Streak: Foam board RC Plane (4 min 2 sec)
Last edited by mark622; Mar 23, 2015 at 02:50 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Mar 23, 2015, 04:02 PM
Whoa……it flies
Nice one Mark. Does it fly slow at all? Good job by your camera man too.
Mar 23, 2015, 04:15 PM
I built the noob tube, I can barely get it to stay in the air. I am using a turniggy D2830-11 1000kv motor;http://hobbyking.com/hobbyking/store...ess_Motor.html

30A ESC and a 9x4.7" prop. using 1300 3s zippy compact battery.
the wing is the 7'' air foil not he 5' and using the 30" fuseloge. I my step not the best, is that the cause of the lack of lift and not staying in the air very long?
Mar 23, 2015, 11:22 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by anewton
Nice one Mark. Does it fly slow at all? Good job by your camera man too.
Yeah it will act like a glider and float in if you stay on the elevator, doesn't really stall out until I would guess jogging speed, so yeah it'll fly pretty slow. Camera man is my 10 year old son, just finished up an RET glider for him to learn on.
Mar 23, 2015, 11:34 PM
Forgot I also snapped a few pics when I first finished building it. This is also the first plane I've built not using rubber bands to attach the wings. Used 2 nylon bolts and wing nuts, with a bit of ply for reinforcement.

Even the old farts at the club who most look at anything not stick built, burning fuel, and going vrooom as mere toys even give me complements on this plane lol.

Edit: Looks like I took those pics in the middle of building lol.
Last edited by mark622; Mar 23, 2015 at 11:55 PM.
Mar 25, 2015, 06:42 AM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D model.
Originally Posted by RPM314
It's cuz the wings are swept. If it yaws to one side, it has more wing further out in the other direction, so more drag there. This brings it back to neutral, but not very well.
It's not b/c they have no horizontal tails, look at any plank wing and it will have vertical tail(s).
but I did see a very few planks that got away without having vertical fins at all
its just you need active stability to fix that.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...8#post22132667

It is not a lot more difficult to fly a wing without vertical stab, if you add 4 little fixed drag surfaces at the tips. I did the test on a wing and at fast speed the yaw stability , compare to the same wing with 1 vertical stab. was may be 80 % . Rolls and loops were also possible . At lower speed is was a lot less stable , the wing needing a good amount of drag not to tip stall. The induced drag seem to slow down the wing too. So, if we want a cleaner looking wing without vert. stab. there is a good amount of sacrifices on handling to do, sacrifices that I am not ready to do for now.
Mar 25, 2015, 04:11 PM
Whoa……it flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by manuel v
Excellent Manuel, pretty pink too.
Mar 25, 2015, 05:07 PM
Careful,.. confident,.. CRASH!
+ 1 on your mount Manual, Love to see good, simple, functional design. Well done
Mar 25, 2015, 08:13 PM
Great exercise in 3D printing. A light plywood one would be much faster to build though...
Mar 27, 2015, 09:48 AM
Rapidly aging user

DT foamboard weight

Can somebody advise how much the std. foam board weighs per given area, oz/sq ft, grams/sq meter, or some such ? I tried thread search but couldn't find this info......I apologize in advance if it's my bad....want to compare it to 4mm coroplast.
TIA...Ralph
Mar 27, 2015, 09:59 AM
Malcolm M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by raw89
Can somebody advise how much the std. foam board weighs per given area, oz/sq ft, grams/sq meter, or some such ? I tried thread search but couldn't find this info......I apologize in advance if it's my bad....want to compare it to 4mm coroplast.
TIA...Ralph
Hi Ralph, check out this:

http://flitetest.com/articles/comparing-foam-board

Malcolm
Mar 27, 2015, 10:32 AM
I measured one at 110 grams.
This is for a 20"x30" $ Tree board and used a 3lb postal scale.

Quote:
TIA...Ralph
Mar 27, 2015, 12:08 PM
Flying a Falcon or a 3D model.
Quote:
TIA...Ralph
in GRAMS +/- 2 gr.
Foamboard , Ross board 20x30: 130
Foam only: 60
Paper 1 side: 30
Tape 1 side: 18
Paint 1 coat oil: 24
Foam pink: less then 1/2 / cubic inch
Corroplast 4mm: less then 1/2 / squa. inch
Aluminium motor supp. 3 / square inch
Vinyl: 10 / square foot
Bamboo: + 10 / linear foot
Carbon tube 6 mm x 1mm: 32 /meter
Carbon tube 8 mm x 1 mm: 44 /meter
Last edited by fauconnier; Mar 28, 2015 at 05:42 AM.
Mar 27, 2015, 04:24 PM
Hi
Found this from a couple years back.
Full sheet with paper, 120 grams. Without paper, 68 grams. So for a full sheet, the paper adds 52 grams, or slightly under 2 oz. Adams foam board found in DTree.

Quick Reply