This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
May 18, 2014, 03:27 PM
Whoa……it flies
No plans Shane, but I can give you the dimensions and I'm doing a build video for that style of wing. I'll post it here tomorrow.
to remove ads between posts
May 18, 2014, 03:31 PM
Whoa……it flies
Quote:
Originally Posted by nickchud
Here's a scale-ish model of this pretty waterplane.

All built from 6mm Depron and a little plywood:
Brilliant. The water takeoffs and landings look great.
May 19, 2014, 12:29 PM
Isaiah 40:31
Has anyone tried sign vinal for covering? Guy from an local rc club cover they 15 sized combat planes with the stuff, looks good.
rc
May 19, 2014, 06:28 PM
Vinyl is probably too stretchy. The packing tape won't stretch and will add to the rigidity of the wing. Stretchy vinyl won't.
May 19, 2014, 08:31 PM
Whoa……it flies
Here's my Photon style wing build video using tape covered 6mm depron. There are a few refinements on the Armin wing to make a thinner and smoother airfoil that works really well for slope soarers.

Depron wing build (6 min 8 sec)
May 20, 2014, 02:12 AM
What could possibly go wrong?
That's a really good video! Lovely job.

Thank you for posting.

May 21, 2014, 05:28 AM
James Stockton
Versa Wing plans from flitetest.com

http://flitetest.com/articles/ft-versa-wing-build

Versa Wing (4 min 11 sec)
May 21, 2014, 09:11 PM
Whoa……it flies
Maiden flight of the 1.5m depron wing (from the build video) on an old fuselage
1.5m depron wing maiden (1 min 46 sec)

New slimmer fuselage is under construction
Last edited by anewton; May 22, 2014 at 02:40 AM. Reason: clarification
May 23, 2014, 07:45 AM
You laugh... But it flies!!!
Getting ready for Flite Fest and perfecting the builds that I am planning to take. Flying is verboten here so I am relegated to designing and perfecting build techniques. This one was designed in sketchup and cut based on the geometry that was created there. The glide test was fun. There were several very nice glides (the video is by far not the best one). I cant wait to get home and try this with some electronics in it.

Be safe and have fun,
Tommy

Test Glide (0 min 9 sec)
May 27, 2014, 10:30 PM
Watt Waster

Test Glide

Oh my. It has been a while, but those tents sure do look familiar to me. I am talking back in the early 90's. I was glad to end my tour also.
Latest blog entry: Center of Gravity - Airplanes
Jun 02, 2014, 06:22 PM
Whoa……it flies
It's quiet on here…too quiet.
That's a really unique looking drone Tommy, any updates?

Here's my red sloper with slimmer fuselage. This one works really well, fast and aerobatic enough for a square foamie. Weight is 460g without battery and balance weights. Flying weight is around 580g
Red sloper maiden (2 min 36 sec)

Fuselage dimensions and build details here. Wing build details here
Jun 03, 2014, 01:39 AM
You laugh... But it flies!!!
Anewton,

No updates on the UAV project. It is finished in Sketchup. Once I get home I will cut one out and add electronics. This seems like it will be a very gentle flying experience, kind of powered soaring. At least that is what I am going for. Real light.
I threw this one around as much as I could and got some real nice glides. Once it had a few too many dings, I rolled it up and binned it.

Be safe and have fun,
Tommy
Jun 03, 2014, 10:16 AM
Sittin' on a hill
Andrew, that foil you made looks almost exactly like the one I came up with for my sloper. Yours is a bit more symmetrical, which is probably better if you want any sort of aerobatics. I might take your "icypole" stick idea as well as the reinforcement on the wing connections. This is my first build so I didn't think of what might happen if I hit the wing hard on the ground.

I'm waiting for my receiver so I can figure out which way to mount my servos, then it'll be ready for a real test flight. I'll post pictures when I get a chance.
Jun 03, 2014, 03:26 PM
Whoa……it flies
Windspeaker, they just stop the rubber bands biting into the foam over time but I guess they do add some strength to the wing join.

I don't glue the 2 wings together, just a loose CF spar and tape along the join. In a decent crash the tape splits but the wings usually survive.
Jun 03, 2014, 09:29 PM
Sittin' on a hill
That's good to know. I was planning on gluing mine together, but I'll stick to just the tape. At least initially.

Quick Reply