This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Apr 09, 2012, 09:12 PM
James Stockton
thanks Ed
here some more video of the Fuglyjet

fuglyjet 4-8-12.mp4 (3 min 42 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Apr 10, 2012, 08:46 PM
Fallin with Style (slopeing)
Do you have any videos on how to make the Delta wings?
Apr 10, 2012, 08:49 PM

Delta Wing

Here's a smoking little Delta wing by Ed at
FAST FOAMBOARD DELTA WING - Details (14 min 42 sec)

Careful though... it'll cost you a whole dollar for enough foamboard!
Apr 11, 2012, 11:02 AM
Fallin with Style (slopeing)
Thanks for the video.
Apr 11, 2012, 12:08 PM
James Stockton
second flight from saturday 4/7/12
cracked the wing but did not see until the last crash

fuglyjet crashes (2 min 3 sec)
Apr 11, 2012, 03:08 PM
@ bhcnomo "...two points..."

LOL, I think you get more than that for at least missing the car :-)
Apr 12, 2012, 11:05 AM
Where do you put the edf on the jet. I built one nut the cg was way to far back. And by the time I got it right it was to heavy to fly well
Apr 12, 2012, 12:40 PM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducoop
Where do you put the edf on the jet. I built one nut the cg was way to far back. And by the time I got it right it was to heavy to fly well
The EDF is just inside the rear of the fuselage, with the intake lip being about 2" aft of dead center of the fuselage. Have a look at the video for a little more detail. A 2200mAh battery mounted in the nose about 2" aft of the very tip should yield a CG 1.5" aft of the leading edge of the wing. AUW should be around 600g as built in the video.
Apr 12, 2012, 12:53 PM
Ichy to Build and Fly.
Hi Ed,

Here is my Zoom Jet - as my 6 year old named it...

It runs off of 50 mm EDF power house with a 20 A ESC.

I used 1800 mah / 20 C / 3S battery.

It flies good but very sober and slow - not like a jet at all.
I plan to change the wing to reduce the AUW so that power plant can push this easier.

I will post the updated picture with in a week as soon as I make it fly at least a bit fast.

In the mean time - here are some pictures taken during build.

Wing span is 24" and Length is 23" from nose to tail. The Fuse came to 2-1/4" square section with wing chord of 4" and 1" for aileron and elevator width.
Apr 12, 2012, 01:46 PM
Thread OP
rnmosaic - Looking good! I could only tell the 2/3 scale from looking at the receiver. So how much thrust do you get out of that 50mm EDF? Are you thinking of a flat wing? Yeah, "ZoomJet" is a better name for around the kids.
Apr 12, 2012, 02:43 PM
Ichy to Build and Fly.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir
rnmosaic - Looking good! I could only tell the 2/3 scale from looking at the receiver. So how much thrust do you get out of that 50mm EDF? Are you thinking of a flat wing? Yeah, "ZoomJet" is a better name for around the kids.
Hi Ed,

As per specs this 50 mm EDF unit gives out 310 grams of thrust - and my AUW is almost 290 grams there. This is one of the reasons why the Zoomjet flies too mellow... very slow.

I am in fact working on a flat plate wing to reduce weight and also trying to make a sleek canopy on the front end to help with reducing drag as well..
Already punched two holes on left and right side of fuse to help EDF to suck in more air if needed... So it is all being tested now...

Hopefully with additional "unwanted" weight removed, I believe it will fly decent enough for a "MINI" edf jet ...

I will post some pictures as soon as it flies well and perhaps a video as well..
Thanks
Mosaic.
Apr 13, 2012, 01:09 AM

Experimental Airline Fuselage Hack

Don't forget that you can customize Ed's basic fuselage tube assembly as the core of your own design...

Experimental Air Fuselage Hack (0 min 8 sec)
Last edited by DTFB Aerowerks; Apr 13, 2012 at 01:22 AM. Reason: corrected video link
Apr 13, 2012, 02:35 AM
This is kid stuff.

Grazie

I just want to thank ExAir for taking the time to post this most excellent tutorial.
Apr 13, 2012, 07:43 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by DTFB Aerowerks
Don't forget that you can customize Ed's basic fuselage tube assembly as the core of your own design...
That's what I'm taking about! Hacking is highly encouraged. Do you have some planes built this way?
Apr 13, 2012, 07:44 AM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mazzepa1
I just want to thank ExAir for taking the time to post this most excellent tutorial.
Very happy to do it. I hope to see some of your designs here soon!

Quick Reply