Foamboard Scratchbuild University - Page 120 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 26, 2012, 09:09 PM
Registered User

New project


While waiting for the weather to cooperate so I can maiden my Skymaster, I decided to start a new project. It will be based loosely on my Super Sports 40 nitro plane. Of course, it is being built via Ed's procedures. More to follow....
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 26, 2012, 10:04 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquireM
...So? Does it fly?
We will see. I don't know when I will be able to maiden it, weather issues.
Oct 27, 2012, 03:33 AM
Registered User

Info about a 46-48'' Axon


I am planing to make a 48'' ws axon as my first scratch built expecting it to be my good first trainer plane. Unfortunately, i can't find dollar tree/readiboard foam here in Thailand. So most probably I am going to use different kinds of foams (EPP, Depron and styro foam) taped on for strength for different parts.

Does anybody has plans for a 48'' axon?? Or if anybody has built slow flying axon (i can compromise on wing efficiency as i am learning right now) he can share the specs with me??? Mainly i need to know following dimensions;
1- wing chord
2- fuse length
3- C of G
4- control surfaces sizes
5- placement of wings (distance of leading edge from the tip of fuse)
6- sizes of horizontal and vertical stabilizers.
7- prop sizes used
Oct 28, 2012, 08:58 AM
Registered User
jetcommander's Avatar
Does anyone have an anti "broken propellor device" ? I have been doing a lot of Noob flying, and have managed three broken props in the last week on my Noob, I just saw a video on You Tube called "Justins low wing noob tube" I see he has a curved piece of metal at the front so the the propellor always has clearance on landing, any other ideas out there apart from a folding prop? Thanks
Oct 28, 2012, 10:06 AM
Registered User
rimshotcopter's Avatar
Is this the job of a traditional Prop Saver?
Oct 28, 2012, 11:21 AM
Sabre holic
Gordosoar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcommander
Does anyone have an anti "broken propellor device" ? I have been doing a lot of Noob flying, and have managed three broken props in the last week on my Noob, I just saw a video on You Tube called "Justins low wing noob tube" I see he has a curved piece of metal at the front so the the propellor always has clearance on landing, any other ideas out there apart from a folding prop? Thanks
EDF noob tube.
Oct 28, 2012, 11:42 AM
Registered User
justj's Avatar

Suggestions!


Hi Gordo,
To the point..... great thoughts!

Rimshot,
I'm partial to pushers like the Axon to keep the prop and motor out of the direct impact zone.... couple of bent shafts helped make up my mind!

J
Oct 28, 2012, 12:07 PM
Sabre holic
Gordosoar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by justj
Hi Gordo,
To the point..... great thoughts!

Rimshot,
I'm partial to pushers like the Axon to keep the prop and motor out of the direct impact zone.... couple of bent shafts helped make up my mind!

J
I have a F Jet and love it but also want to make something like the Mig 15, only using EA teach. I'm thinking of a semi round fuse, maybe 8 sided with a tapered swept low wing. Still thinking it through.
Oct 28, 2012, 04:11 PM
Registered User
Wingman26's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcommander
Does anyone have an anti "broken propellor device" ? I have been doing a lot of Noob flying, and have managed three broken props in the last week on my Noob, I just saw a video on You Tube called "Justins low wing noob tube" I see he has a curved piece of metal at the front so the the propellor always has clearance on landing, any other ideas out there apart from a folding prop? Thanks
The thing he's talking about is just an extended skid, like landing gear with no wheels.

You could just use landing gear, works for takeoff and landings.
Oct 28, 2012, 05:43 PM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcommander
Does anyone have an anti "broken propellor device" ? I have been doing a lot of Noob flying, and have managed three broken props in the last week on my Noob, I just saw a video on You Tube called "Justins low wing noob tube" I see he has a curved piece of metal at the front so the the propellor always has clearance on landing, any other ideas out there apart from a folding prop? Thanks
What size prop are you running? Also, what type of prop?

I've been running a master airscrew 6.5x4 and after many landings it is still in one piece. I've only broken props when I've crashed.

Do you land with throttle still on? I kill throttle a few feet off the ground.
Oct 29, 2012, 12:41 AM
Registered User
conbones's Avatar
A prop saver and a few O'rings will save you a lot of heart ake
Hey guys i have finished another armin wing im not 100% on this one yet i still have some adjustments to do but earlier test flights have proven that it will level off with a little input on the sticks and gain alt. fly strait under power and glide to a landing.
the real test will be at the club field this weekend. here are a few pics.
Name: SANY0151.jpg
Views: 200
Size: 102.6 KB
Description: Name: SANY0155.jpg
Views: 166
Size: 125.5 KB
Description: Name: SANY0156.jpg
Views: 163
Size: 139.3 KB
Description: Name: SANY0157.jpg
Views: 155
Size: 83.0 KB
Description:
Oct 29, 2012, 05:46 AM
Registered User
jetcommander's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewbieoz
What size prop are you running? Also, what type of prop?

I've been running a master airscrew 6.5x4 and after many landings it is still in one piece. I've only broken props when I've crashed.

Do you land with throttle still on? I kill throttle a few feet off the ground.
I never land with the throttle on, I have a 1000kv and a 9 x 4 prop what you are using is almost a third smaller so you will for sure have less chance of a breakage. Iīll just add wheels, or a skid and thatīs it, thanks for your input.
Oct 29, 2012, 08:18 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by conbones
A prop saver and a few O'rings will save you a lot of heart ake
Hey guys i have finished another armin wing im not 100% on this one yet i still have some adjustments to do but earlier test flights have proven that it will level off with a little input on the sticks and gain alt. fly strait under power and glide to a landing.
the real test will be at the club field this weekend. here are a few pics.
Attachment 5265489Attachment 5265490Attachment 5265491Attachment 5265492
I was thinking of building a wing also. What is the wing span, wing cord and overall length? Thanks.
Oct 29, 2012, 12:41 PM
Registered User
jetcommander's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzalikhan
I am planing to make a 48'' ws axon as my first scratch built expecting it to be my good first trainer plane. Unfortunately, i can't find dollar tree/readiboard foam here in Thailand. So most probably I am going to use different kinds of foams (EPP, Depron and styro foam) taped on for strength for different parts.

Does anybody has plans for a 48'' axon?? Or if anybody has built slow flying axon (i can compromise on wing efficiency as i am learning right now) he can share the specs with me??? Mainly i need to know following dimensions;
1- wing chord
2- fuse length
3- C of G
4- control surfaces sizes
5- placement of wings (distance of leading edge from the tip of fuse)
6- sizes of horizontal and vertical stabilizers.
7- prop sizes used
Itīs all in the videos Iīm sure.
Oct 29, 2012, 02:01 PM
Registered User
conbones's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc16
I was thinking of building a wing also. What is the wing span, wing cord and overall length? Thanks.
wing info (3 min 50 sec)


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log SEW-SLO 30" Foamboard Wing Atx_Heli Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 73 Mar 27, 2016 03:15 AM
Build Log SEW-SLO 30" Foamboard Wing Atx_Heli Flying Wings 0 May 19, 2011 10:47 PM
Question So I have a sheet of $Tree foamboard... what to build? Bomb Dropper Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 15 Mar 23, 2011 03:49 PM
Discussion EDF/Motor for University Design Project uwpropulsionguy Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 0 Mar 06, 2011 04:24 PM