Foamboard Scratchbuild University - Page 110 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Oct 02, 2012, 02:34 PM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
ExperimentalAir's Avatar
FWIW I've used exactly one knife for every RC foamboard construction I've ever done, and that is the Stanley 10-499, which is under $10 and has very cheap blades which it stores in the handle.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Oct 02, 2012, 09:05 PM
Registered User
sixfins's Avatar
I'LL second, whatever knife you get make sure it's comfortable to you and make sure you use sharp blades. I have a hot knife that I like a lot, it's basically a 25w soldering iron with an attachment for x-acto blades. It goes through the foam like cutting warm butter and doing curves are very easy, which I have always had difficulty with when just using a blade.
Oct 02, 2012, 09:14 PM
Closed Account
Oct 02, 2012, 09:32 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir
FWIW I've used exactly one knife for every RC foamboard construction I've ever done, and that is the Stanley 10-499, which is under $10 and has very cheap blades which it stores in the handle.
Nice. Do you use that second cutting notch on the 10-499 much? They've got a Stanley "Classic 99" locally that has the same form factor except for no extra cutting notch.

If that extra notch comes in handy, well, I'll probably grab one at HD in WA State on my next day trip.

Thanks!
Oct 02, 2012, 10:51 PM
Sabre holic
Gordosoar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFlite
Very nice. What am I looking at?
Details please.
And where are your shoes.?
Oct 02, 2012, 11:04 PM
Closed Account
hahaha! I told my photographer to leave my feet out! I just walked out of my house to get the picture.

That is my Carbon B-2. A 90" twin boom pusher. Uses 3 foamboard sections. It is designed to lift around 800g including a 5450mah battery. I don't even know if it will fly. It is my search and rescue aircraft!
Oct 03, 2012, 07:54 AM
Sabre holic
Gordosoar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbonFlite
hahaha! I told my photographer to leave my feet out! I just walked out of my house to get the picture.

That is my Carbon B-2. A 90" twin boom pusher. Uses 3 foamboard sections. It is designed to lift around 800g including a 5450mah battery. I don't even know if it will fly. It is my search and rescue aircraft!
Like to see more on this as it comes togather. You're gonna need a big as motor for that puppy.
G
Oct 03, 2012, 08:02 AM
Closed Account
yuup, I'll be turning a 12 or 13" prop.
Oct 03, 2012, 11:09 AM
Registered User
I ordered some colored packing tape and what I got is kind of transparent so that the color of the board below shows through. If I put the yellow tape I got on a white board you can "see" through it. Did I get the wrong kind? Is there a source for different colored packing tape that can't be seen through so that the tape covers up the color of the board.
Thanks for your help.
Joe
Oct 03, 2012, 11:37 AM
Sabre holic
Gordosoar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy
I ordered some colored packing tape and what I got is kind of transparent so that the color of the board below shows through. If I put the yellow tape I got on a white board you can "see" through it. Did I get the wrong kind? Is there a source for different colored packing tape that can't be seen through so that the tape covers up the color of the board.
Thanks for your help.
Joe
Where did you get the tape?

I got mine at Tape Brothers. Com
Oct 03, 2012, 01:04 PM
Closed Account
mine is like that. Check out the picture, it looks fine to me.
Oct 03, 2012, 02:28 PM
7AC
7AC
Registered User
7AC's Avatar

Foam Cutters


This is late, but I'm surprised no one mentioned the razor knife available at dollar tree. For $1 you get the knife which has 7 break-off blades and a pack of two more break-off strips for a total of 21 blades. Buy two and you can cut foam for a long time.
Oct 03, 2012, 04:41 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar
Where did you get the tape?

I got mine at Tape Brothers. Com
I got mine from Uline.com.
Can you "see" through the stuff you got from Tape Brothers?
Min is pretty translucent. What I am looking for is opaque.
Joe
Oct 03, 2012, 09:39 PM
Sabre holic
Gordosoar's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MOfroggy
I got mine from Uline.com.
Can you "see" through the stuff you got from Tape Brothers?
Min is pretty translucent. What I am looking for is opaque.
Joe
The lighter colors are somewhat translucent.
And less so as they get darker.
But I build em to fly not look pretty.
Oct 03, 2012, 11:04 PM
Registered User
conbones's Avatar
Hey guys i recorded a short walk around of my latest build both of these planes are a blast to fly
Scratchbuild garage (10 min 5 sec)
well... maybe not so short


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log SEW-SLO 30" Foamboard Wing Atx_Heli Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 73 Mar 27, 2016 02:15 AM
Build Log SEW-SLO 30" Foamboard Wing Atx_Heli Flying Wings 0 May 19, 2011 09:47 PM
Question So I have a sheet of $Tree foamboard... what to build? Bomb Dropper Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 15 Mar 23, 2011 02:49 PM
Discussion EDF/Motor for University Design Project uwpropulsionguy Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 0 Mar 06, 2011 03:24 PM