DIY controller first fly out - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Feb 03, 2012, 01:15 PM
Build Log

DIY controller first fly out

A few months ago I started to build my own controller and just had first fly out last weekend.
Here what I have done so far today.

I think photos will tell much about it so here brief info.
Microprocessor is STM32F103ZET6 (http://www.st.com/internet/mcu/product/164495.jsp).
Gimbals are borrowed from Hitec Eclips, plan to upgrade them due to poor variable resistor resolution.
Body frame is 5mm thick transparent acrylic plate.
More than 70 screws and nuts are used.
3.2 inches TFT full color 320x240 pixel LCD.
Only 8 toggle switches are implemented on the body now but more than 10 switches inputs, 8 more analog linear inputs can be implemented later on.
Horizontal scroll wheel with push button, three menu control buttons.
More than 2 PPM In/Outs are available on PCB but only single RF module is attached now.
General purpose UART, SPI, I2C bus interfaces are available.
PCB was designed to use almost all processor peripherals like USB, SD card interfaces so they will be implemented.
SW is running on FreeRTOS.
Currently software has many bugs and many untested functions are there but surely it’s very enough to control anything has receiver on it.
Today’s look is not that pretty much but will plan to do some beauty work on outlook and GUIs too.

DIY Radio Controller menu operation (1 min 47 sec)

DIY Radio controller detla wing type setup (0 min 35 sec)
Last edited by flygear; Feb 03, 2012 at 01:20 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 03, 2012, 02:10 PM
Unbelievable Soo nice the visible inside parts are.. Some may argue it's ugly
Feb 03, 2012, 02:41 PM
Puts my Arduino powered RC Joystick to shame...........so a very well done!

Ian.
Feb 03, 2012, 03:38 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
Very cool. No doubt many long nights of work have gone into it! Not least that PCB. I'm guessing by the choice of an ARM microcontroller and the neatest of that PCB, your an Electronics Engineer by trade?

I'm surprised there hasn't been much response from the community. This is certainly one of the most advanced electronic projects on rc-groups.

What are your plans for it? Is it a simply a hobby project, or do you intend to eventually build it into a product? Or, as is the flavour nowadays, even open source it out to the community eventually?
Feb 03, 2012, 03:42 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
In regards to the acrylic transmitter case, why not get it laser cut?

Laser cutting services usually take DXF files. I usually draw mine either in Inkscape, or in a PCB design package (which most seem to support export to DXF).

Si
Feb 03, 2012, 11:00 PM
That is astounding! Thanks for sharing..
..a
Feb 03, 2012, 11:00 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zen09
Unbelievable Soo nice the visible inside parts are.. Some may argue it's ugly
yeah.. no argue it is ugly . when software grows enough and hardwares are fixed then it may get a whole new look.
Feb 03, 2012, 11:04 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanJ
Puts my Arduino powered RC Joystick to shame...........so a very well done!

Ian.
Thanks.
I read your postings since joined rcgroups and was very impressed your new concept of RC control with joystick.
Feb 03, 2012, 11:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers
Very cool. No doubt many long nights of work have gone into it! Not least that PCB. I'm guessing by the choice of an ARM microcontroller and the neatest of that PCB, your an Electronics Engineer by trade?

I'm surprised there hasn't been much response from the community. This is certainly one of the most advanced electronic projects on rc-groups.

What are your plans for it? Is it a simply a hobby project, or do you intend to eventually build it into a product? Or, as is the flavour nowadays, even open source it out to the community eventually?
Thanks.
Thread just started few hours back.
I used to do these kinda schematics, hardware and coding works very long ago.
This project is simply started as my own hobby and now nothing really planning anything yet.
If.. when this project grows well and someway anyone interested in can play with it, why not to have more fun together?
For now just like to spend more time to make it better controller.
Feb 03, 2012, 11:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers
In regards to the acrylic transmitter case, why not get it laser cut?

Laser cutting services usually take DXF files. I usually draw mine either in Inkscape, or in a PCB design package (which most seem to support export to DXF).

Si
during entire building, wasn't sure where all the internal parts should be placed.
Will surely go with Laser cutting service on next case.
Feb 03, 2012, 11:39 PM
Simply a fantastic job in both EE and mechanical areas. If the clear acrylic bothers people, Put a couple of CCFL's in it in the color of your choice and run them off of a separate 12V source. Suddenly ugly becomes impressive for under 10 bucks.
Feb 06, 2012, 08:35 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Peacemakr40
Simply a fantastic job in both EE and mechanical areas. If the clear acrylic bothers people, Put a couple of CCFL's in it in the color of your choice and run them off of a separate 12V source. Suddenly ugly becomes impressive for under 10 bucks.
CCFL can be an idea especially for night flying.
I can go with some other colors on next case as the offer blue, black and red so on.
Feb 06, 2012, 10:06 AM
Nice work! I used to use FreeRTOS at my previous employer (running Internet-connected battery systems for telcoms). What display is that?

Andy
Feb 06, 2012, 11:04 AM
Grats to you, fantastic one...

Neat pcb design, did you hand route ? tool ?
Feb 06, 2012, 08:57 PM
So awesome!

I like the transparent look to, and your idea of using the rotor of an outrunner as navigation tool, is beyond creative, I seriously congratulate you on all of it.

Where did you order the board? I'm doing my own radio too, but I'm stuck with the fab process.