This thread is privately moderated by Hamburglar, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Feb 02, 2012, 11:15 PM
Alphabets make great soup
Thread OP
Build Log

PSS F104 plug

I've been drawing up a PSS F104. Dimensions are fairly close to the Higgins F20 so hopefully it'll fly similarly. Span will be about 1150mm. Wing airfoil is HD45. The profile of the fuse is straight from the 3 views. I've slimmed up the rear end quite a bit. The wing and intakes have been moved forward. It's not very scale but it should fly a whole lot better.
Last edited by Hamburglar; Feb 21, 2012 at 06:46 PM.
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2012, 11:16 PM
Thread OP
Feb 03, 2012, 09:06 PM
Thread OP
Had to slice the fuse up into 6 pieces to get everything to fit. Nose sections are carved.
Feb 04, 2012, 05:22 AM
Twisted and Confused
Nice one!

I've always wanted to do a starfighter after watching that cool vid off reeds old site.

EDF option too?

Steve
Feb 04, 2012, 06:11 AM
Thread OP
Yeah that Heavies vid is awesome. Went to look for it the other day but his site doesn't seem to exist anymore

I never considered EDF. I haven't got a clue when it comes to that stuff. Maybe the fuse might be a bit narrow at the back end. I skinnied it up a fair bit so now it's oval rather than round. About 50x30mm.

Jordan
Feb 04, 2012, 07:05 PM
Twisted and Confused
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hamburglar
Yeah that Heavies vid is awesome. Went to look for it the other day but his site doesn't seem to exist anymore

I never considered EDF. I haven't got a clue when it comes to that stuff. Maybe the fuse might be a bit narrow at the back end. I skinnied it up a fair bit so now it's oval rather than round. About 50x30mm.

Jordan
I went to find the vid to post a link here but as you found....

If you want a copy I've got a saved version on my PC I can send you a copy.

Yeah, I looked at doing an EDF option, but it got complicated straight away.

Steve
Feb 04, 2012, 09:22 PM
Thread OP
Yeah I'd love a copy. I'll PM you.

Got another piece of the puzzle carved. 3 more to go.
Feb 06, 2012, 12:19 AM
Thread OP
Another one down.
Feb 06, 2012, 10:58 PM
Thread OP
One more piece to go.
Feb 08, 2012, 05:44 AM
Thread OP
Finally got the last piece of the puzzle cut today. Just got to glue them all together then I can start working on the plug finish. It's the part I dread the most. Flawless finishes are not my forte.
Feb 08, 2012, 06:44 PM
Thread OP
I sayed up late last night and got a bit done. I pieced it together, did a bit of filling and sanding, and then put down a sealing coat of tinted resin. Will let it sit a couple of days to harden up fully before sanding back smooth.
Feb 09, 2012, 09:09 PM
Thread OP
Epoxy has cured enough for a bit of sanding.
Feb 10, 2012, 04:20 PM
Thread OP
Another coat of resin. This time with a bit of talc in it.
Feb 10, 2012, 09:25 PM
Thread OP
More sanding.......
Feb 11, 2012, 02:15 AM
Thread OP
Cut some ply ribs and glued them onto the fuse to make sure the fillets match the airfoil properly. And stuck on a couple of fillets of precured glass to the back end of the foil.

Quick Reply