Thread Tools
Apr 12, 2012, 02:34 AM
Most people are stupid!
dambit's Avatar
Well sucks to be you then
Would have it by now if you did.

(All comments said in jest and not to be taken as personal attack)
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Apr 12, 2012, 07:03 AM
Wilde Sau
Beltpilot's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt
Leave the man alone.. he's a broken man!

Here ya go Richard
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1617976
I am literally

BUT... I am slowly recovering from that little incident and will soon be back on the flightline
Apr 12, 2012, 11:36 AM
Registered User
TripleW's Avatar
It's good to here your recovery is coming along.
Do you have a BF-109 staring at you from the build table?
Apr 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
Wilde Sau
Beltpilot's Avatar
No, nothing on the way yet... that's why I was so curious, they told me the 109 isn't ready yet and they'd send me a sample once it is about to be released...
Apr 12, 2012, 02:52 PM
Maurice
mpodder's Avatar
I ordered my 109 from Philip at PW-RC yesterday and it shipped out this morning.

Maurice
May 16, 2012, 06:40 AM
London ON Canada

Missed by a day or two


Ordered my FW190 from BH May 12th. The "springflyer" coupon for free shipping did not apply to Canada so shipping was nearly $50 for a total of $297.

The worst part though is the price dropped from $250 to $230 after the weekend.
While BH is not obliged to provide a refund or a $30 coupon it would be a welcomed jester on their part for future orders. This was my first order from BH.
I've emailed them.
May 16, 2012, 10:38 AM
Registered Snoozer
Neil Morse's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnabby
While BH is not obliged to provide a refund or a $30 coupon it would be a welcomed jester on their part for future orders.
Jul 02, 2012, 03:06 PM
Add Lightness
MNadMan's Avatar
Hello, I watched a few videos of this plane with the pilots commenting and it looks and sounds like a great flyer. stable, etc.

I read back into Fab 2012 on this thread, but I do not see anything about any issues. any problems? things to watch for? retracts? motor?
It's a very nasty (in a good way) looking bird. I think I need one. I love the fly by sound I'm hearing on the videos too.
Thanks
Jul 02, 2012, 03:41 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
spinnetti's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Morse
lol... I thought only American's couldn't spell!
Jul 02, 2012, 04:10 PM
Registered Snoozer
Neil Morse's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNadMan
Hello, I watched a few videos of this plane with the pilots commenting and it looks and sounds like a great flyer. stable, etc.

I read back into Fab 2012 on this thread, but I do not see anything about any issues. any problems? things to watch for? retracts? motor?
It's a very nasty (in a good way) looking bird. I think I need one. I love the fly by sound I'm hearing on the videos too.
Thanks
I'm afraid you have much more reading to do. Here's the thread with all the news about what to watch out for (and there's unfortunately a lot). But yes, by all accounts it's a great flyer, although I still haven't been able to fly mine.

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1617976

Neil
Jul 02, 2012, 08:08 PM
Most people are stupid!
dambit's Avatar
There's not "a lot", there is only a couple of things.
Jul 02, 2012, 10:25 PM
Registered Snoozer
Neil Morse's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit
There's not "a lot", there is only a couple of things.
Well, I suppose the term "a lot" is relative, but here's the list I have compiled so far based on what I have read and heard from friends (not personally confirmed because I still have not been able to fly mine even though I got it at the end of April):

1. make sure motor back plate is firmly attached to motor windings or motor will fly apart or burst into flames in flight (dambit take special notice );

2. retracts absolutely will NOT work with certain radio systems (only reliable fix is to replace them with different retracts);

3. tail wheel will fall off unless glued on;

4. landing gear will become loose and develop excessive toe out unless you disassemble it, tighten grub screws, and glue outer plastic housing to metal gear legs in various places;

5. faux oleo struts produce excessive bouncing on landing and are better if you disable the springs.

BUT, as I posted above, everyone says it flies great once you work out these problems.

Does this amount to "a lot" to watch out for? In my experience, yes, it does, but this is my first foamie warbird from FMS, so maybe I'm just not used to what to expect.

Neil

PS: remembered one additional mod: trim bottom of gear doors so they won't hit the ground and break off on landing.
Last edited by Neil Morse; Jul 02, 2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: remembered addition to list.
Jul 02, 2012, 11:48 PM
Most people are stupid!
dambit's Avatar
Neil,

Allow me to retort (I love this part)

Point 1: Yes check the motor! However the first batch of motors are all identifiable by the lack of an FMS logo on the bell housing. If there is no logo check the motor. IMO it's negligent to not check the motor out regardless of the brand.

Point 2: I agree this has been an issue for some. But not for me or anyone else (apparently) who uses a spectrum Tx with a Hobby King Orange 6ch Rx. Or combinations of BEC's

Point 3: Never had an issue with the tail wheel. I did however swap out the wheel axle (screw) with a metal rod because it's better.

Point 4: All landing gear, regardless of brand, will require regular checks and maintenance.

Point 5: The bounce is mainly due to bad landing technique and has very little to do with the springs in the struts. The real plane bounced a lot also, so I chock it up to "scale characteristic"

This plane is great in the air. On the stock setup (4s) I clocked it using a GPS doing 130kph on a calmish day flying flat. I now fly with a 5s and have not gone WOT yet because I have yet to upgrade my ESC. But it is already faster than that at 2/3 throttle. It is also great flying at scale speeds and always manages to attract a small crowd of old guys remembering them from the war days. (or a group of annoying kids)

Every plane has some amount of out of the box issues, and generally most of them become non issues once everything is checked over.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve
Jul 03, 2012, 09:08 AM
Registered Snoozer
Neil Morse's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit
This plane is great in the air.
It also looks great on the ground, and has the most scale landing gear of any FW-190 of its size that has ever been produced.

Let's just stick to what we agree about. I am not suggesting for a minute that this model is not worth buying. I have no regrets, and I'm really looking forward to flying mine once I get the new retracts installed. All I said was there were "a lot" of issues that need sorting out. You insist that there are not "a lot," but only "a couple" of issues. Seems like a silly argument to me.

Neil
Jul 03, 2012, 09:15 AM
Add Lightness
MNadMan's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Morse
Well, I suppose the term "a lot" is relative, but here's the list I have compiled so far based on what I have read and heard from friends (not personally confirmed because I still have not been able to fly mine even though I got it at the end of April):

1. make sure motor back plate is firmly attached to motor windings or motor will fly apart or burst into flames in flight (dambit take special notice );

2. retracts absolutely will NOT work with certain radio systems (only reliable fix is to replace them with different retracts);

3. tail wheel will fall off unless glued on;

4. landing gear will become loose and develop excessive toe out unless you disassemble it, tighten grub screws, and glue outer plastic housing to metal gear legs in various places;

5. faux oleo struts produce excessive bouncing on landing and are better if you disable the springs.

BUT, as I posted above, everyone says it flies great once you work out these problems.

Does this amount to "a lot" to watch out for? In my experience, yes, it does, but this is my first foamie warbird from FMS, so maybe I'm just not used to what to expect.

Neil

PS: remembered one additional mod: trim bottom of gear doors so they won't hit the ground and break off on landing.

sheeesh! serious motor and retract problems on a foam plane that is $199 + shipping???
I think I'll wait for v2 updates (fixes) and a sale - like Black Friday. I don't want to spend that much and have to replace the motor & retracts. also defeats 1/2 the purpose of buying a plane with the electronics already installed = less work.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion FMS FW-190 800mm range flyball Electric Warbirds 132 Jan 19, 2017 10:55 AM
Discussion FW 190 1400mm by FlyFly ...wow it's NOT FMS! jbc Electric Warbirds 245 Aug 08, 2016 12:30 AM
Discussion FMS FW-190a 1400mm Tommy D Electric Warbirds 1811 Feb 02, 2012 07:54 PM
Sold Hobbico Flyzone Focke-Wolf 190 RxR FW-190 propflipper Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 3 Jan 16, 2012 06:02 PM
Video Formation Flying - FMS Stuka, Hobbico FW-190, Velocity-RC T-33s, and Tsunamis bwoollia Electric Plane Talk 0 Oct 23, 2011 02:45 PM