Sterling Kingfish - Page 2 - RC Groups
Jul 09, 2017, 03:58 PM
I believe the JPG file may have been too large to attach it in post #15. You can go to the following link to my Google Drive to see the Kingfish Instructions. Let me know if that works for you.
Fred

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B_2...ew?usp=sharing
to remove ads between posts
Jul 16, 2017, 08:32 AM
Thanks but the image is so dark I cannot read the small type and enlarging didn't help. Also, were there two pages? I only see one.
Could you take the plans to a copy shop and have them printed in original size? If you wish, I'll be glad to cover the cost.
Ranny
Jul 16, 2017, 08:41 AM
Fred,
In rereading your post #15, I see you only tried one side. I hope someone in your area has a flat bed scanner large enough to copy these plans.
Ranny
Jul 16, 2017, 08:51 AM
Ranny,
I was away most of last week and I will get back to this project this week. Yes, I only did one side. The other side is a full-size drawing of the side view of the boat. When I look at the link in post #16, I zoom in and it is not dark at all. The printing is quite legible, but there is some text missing near the bottom. If I can't find a flat bed scanner/printer, I will try to do a better job of stitching photos of both sides. I'll keep you informed.
Fred
Jul 17, 2017, 09:45 AM
Fred,
I worked on the plan a bit this morning and the text that I really cannot read at all is "Step 6". Some appears to be missing. Can you copy that section?
Also, the sail plan on the reverse would be very helpful. If you can stitch that side as you did the first side, I may be in business.
I have a friend in the print business who I believe can print and lighten your JPG file.
Thanks for your help in this endeavor. I appreciate your efforts.
Ranny
Jul 17, 2017, 02:41 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Hi all!

After some research, I've added two Sterling Models designs, the King Fish and the Emma C. Berry, here: http://www.allradiosailboats.com/des...sterlingModels

If you know more data about these models, or have knowledge of another Sterling Model RC Sailboat, please let me know...

Thanks
Thomas Armstrong
Jul 18, 2017, 07:08 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by railside72
Fred,
I worked on the plan a bit this morning and the text that I really cannot read at all is "Step 6". Some appears to be missing. Can you copy that section?
Also, the sail plan on the reverse would be very helpful. If you can stitch that side as you did the first side, I may be in business.
I have a friend in the print business who I believe can print and lighten your JPG file.
Thanks for your help in this endeavor. I appreciate your efforts.
Ranny
Yes, I'm aware of some text missing. I've exhausted my search for a flat bet copier/scanner. The condition of the plan may rip if it goes through a machine with rollers. So, I will re-do the photo stitching and try to use my small 8.5 x 11 scanner instead of a camera. I will also do both sides this time. It may take a few days.
Fred
Jul 18, 2017, 09:16 AM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by tictac80
Yes, I'm aware of some text missing. I've exhausted my search for a flat bet copier/scanner. The condition of the plan may rip if it goes through a machine with rollers. So, I will re-do the photo stitching and try to use my small 8.5 x 11 scanner instead of a camera. I will also do both sides this time. It may take a few days.
Fred
take some photos on a grid layout and post them - I can do the stitching for you (got the software for that).
Jul 18, 2017, 07:22 PM
Culper Junior
Quote:
Originally Posted by tarmstro
Hi all!

After some research, I've added two Sterling Models designs, the King Fish and the Emma C. Berry, here: http://www.allradiosailboats.com/des...sterlingModels

If you know more data about these models, or have knowledge of another Sterling Model RC Sailboat, please let me know...

Thanks
Thomas Armstrong
Sterling also had a smaller sailboat called the Sailfish. Looked like a 1/2 size Kingfish.

http://m.ebay.com/itm/272765265555?_mwBanner=1
Jul 18, 2017, 08:20 PM
I have 2.75 Kingfishes and most of a Sailfish. The Sailfish is 24" long.
Fred
Jul 19, 2017, 02:55 PM
Thomas Armstrong
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeronca52
Sterling also had a smaller sailboat called the Sailfish. Looked like a 1/2 size Kingfish.
http://m.ebay.com/itm/272765265555?_mwBanner=1
Thanks! Model added to http://www.allradiosailboats.com/des...sterlingModels

Quote:
Originally Posted by tictac80
I have 2.75 Kingfishes and most of a Sailfish. The Sailfish is 24" long.
Fred
Fred, can you provide photos of the sailboat, and maybe of the plans provided by Sterling?

Thanks!!
Jul 19, 2017, 03:07 PM
Tarmstro,
No, I do not have the plans for the Sailfish and the parts that I have are not built yet. You will find some pictures if you Google "Sterling Sailfish Kit" and then select "Images".
Jul 19, 2017, 03:19 PM
I have given up on stitching scanned images of the Kingfish. The quality of scans that are stitched is very good but every time I try stitching, the software mixes up the columns and rows of images. Also, it is ruining my plans from all the folding on my little 8.5 x 11 scanner. By allowing 1" or 2" of overlap between scans, it would take about 50 scans to do both sides.

Since the photo stitching kind of worked, I will try to suspend the camera from a ceiling, then move the plan under it to get steady photos at the same angle and distance. Then I'll stitch them in the software.
Jul 19, 2017, 05:55 PM
a.k.a. Bob Parks
Check some of the dealers for engineering printer and copiers. Minolta/Konica, OCE', HP, etc.
Our local OCE' dealer had one of each of their products in their sales office and that includes big scanners. I am sure they will run a scan if asked politely!

I have a 6x8 foot copy camera we used to enlarge & reduce drawings before CAD was king. But they do not make chemistry & films anymore! It is a 30 foot long anchor now.

BP
Jul 19, 2017, 06:29 PM
I've checked with the biggest blueprint copying place in our city and they use machines with rollers. They said no one in our city could do it on a flat bed copy/scanner.
Fred