Sterling Kingfish - RC Groups
Feb 01, 2012, 09:03 PM
Culper Junior
Discussion

Sterling Kingfish

I recently discovered a hull I had for many years in storage. It is the Kingfish sailboat by Sterling Models. Unfortunately I only have the hull, bulkheads, deck and keel/bulb.
Does anybody have a set of plans for the mast height? And for that matter, how is the mast made ? IIRC the mast was two pieces of dowel with the top most being about 6" high.

Thanks for any help.
Jim
to remove ads between posts
Feb 02, 2012, 08:25 AM

sterling sailboat

as we speak, there is currently listed on ebay the boat. might be able to at least get an overview
joe
Feb 02, 2012, 12:19 PM
Culper Junior
I'll check it out, Thanks Joe!

15minutes later.......

Couldn't find it. The only 'Kingfish' that came up was some sort of USSR cruise missile, not a sailboat. Do you have a link for what you saw??
Last edited by aeronca52; Feb 02, 2012 at 12:59 PM.
Feb 03, 2012, 11:39 PM
Culper Junior
Thanks MIke,
I did several searches but no luck. Maybe the auction had ended when I was looking.
Jun 13, 2017, 07:47 AM
I have the kit but no plans for the KingFish. Anyone have a set?
Ranny
Jul 03, 2017, 09:29 PM
I have an old Kingfish kit that someone else partially built and I am just about to continue building it. I also have one sheet of instructions. However it is a sheet about 3' x 4' and is well-aged with stains and creases. One side is the full-size diagram of the Kingfish. The other side has good build instructions with text and pictures, although it does not cover RC in great detail. I could try taking pictures of some of the instructions for you.
Fred (in London, Ontario, Canada)
Jul 04, 2017, 08:15 AM
Culper Junior
Fred,
I have long since sold my hull, but if you could take some pictures and post them on the web it would help keep them 'out there' for anyone else in the future.
Thanks for the thought!
Jim
Jul 04, 2017, 08:30 AM
Fred,
Thanks for the reply and, yes, pictures may help, but if you could get the plans copied in a copy shop, I'll be glad to reimburse your costs and postage.
Ranny
Jul 04, 2017, 08:31 AM
OK, Aeronca52. I realize your request for the plans dated back a few years. However, Railside72 may still be interested. I will work on compiling some photos in the next week or two and maybe post them to Vimeo with a link here. If anyone knows of a better way to do this, let me know.
Jul 04, 2017, 08:39 AM
There was a thread on RC Universe that indicated the Kingfish does not sail very well. I would like to finish building mine with RC. I don't intend to race, just sail around a pond for fun. Does anyone know of any Kingfish that has been completed with RC and sailed? How well did it work?
Jul 04, 2017, 10:36 AM
Tictac80......You have two Kinkos stores in London.

One at 275 Dundas St and the other at 2-665 Fanshawe Park Rd W.

Down here at least the Kinkos store can scan and print usually anything up to 48 inches. At the very least you should be able to fold the plans in half and do half a side at a time.

Better still, scan them into a pdf file. Then you can send them easily to others who can then have their local Kinkos print them. I do it all the time with airplane plans.
Jul 04, 2017, 10:49 AM
OK. Thanks, KMK001. I'll check into doing the latter.
Jul 09, 2017, 06:13 AM
Yes, Railside is still interested in the plans. Please keep me posted on your progress.
Ranny
Jul 09, 2017, 03:32 PM
Will do, Ranny. I checked out some copy places but they can only put the plan sheet through a machine with rollers and cannot guarantee that it will survive due to the creases and a few spots that are taped. What I need is a flatbed scanner that is 3' x 4'. But I found another method that I'll try. A program called Image Composite Editor can stitch scans or photos of small areas into one large JPG file. I have done this to one side of the instruction sheet and hopefully it is attached here. (it is a 7Mb file)
Let me know if you can zoom it out to read the instructions and see the drawings.
Fred