Sep 04, 2012, 08:57 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
I have it cranked up but not for the lipo battery itself. The reason why I have it cranked up is to help me with once it triggers I can still reduce it and get a couple more minutes of use.

The first couple time it triggered on me I was in the process of programming and my programming was cut short and I could no longer continue.

So I post and recommended owners increase the settings so people get a second chance sort of speak.

Kinda like a the reserve setting on my ATV fuel tank.

As for the default value being good for the batt, don't forget this is a tx battery with minimal current drain on it.
to remove ads between posts
Sep 04, 2012, 09:00 PM
OUCH!!!
Mine won't read more than 7.8v on the TX screen, while hooked up to my icharger it shows 8.4. My low volt alarm went off the other day while in the air, and when I put my meter on it, it was a full volt higher than what showed on the TX. Is there a calibration that needs done?

Jay
Sep 04, 2012, 09:59 PM
The 6.4V default alarm is appropriate for technology of cells of the type we sell for it at the low discharge rate. These are NOT LiPos that you would power your plane with!

Andy
Sep 04, 2012, 10:09 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
The 6.4V default alarm is appropriate for technology of cells of the type we sell for it at the low discharge rate. These are NOT LiPos that you would power your plane with!

Andy
Thanks Andy....

I was kind of figuring that might be the case but I REALLY hate to assume under any circumstances let alone LiPo batteries....
Sep 05, 2012, 01:53 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jayray123
Mine won't read more than 7.8v on the TX screen, while hooked up to my icharger it shows 8.4. My low volt alarm went off the other day while in the air, and when I put my meter on it, it was a full volt higher than what showed on the TX. Is there a calibration that needs done?

Jay
Jay
Have you been charging it with an external charger? At what rate have you been charging it? When you checked it with your meter was that static voltage or did you have the equivalent load of the Tx on it when checking externally? Or maybe you tapped into the lead and directly compared the reading on a meter with the display while it was powered on?

It is possible to have a calibration issue but it is also possible if not more probable that there may be an issue with the circuit in the pack itself.
A half a volt is a long way out of calibration.

What pack are you running?
Sep 05, 2012, 05:41 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip
On a fresh model. Sail - If you enter F-Mode Setup, there you should see Custom
Then it's a matter of going to the next screen and getting to Flight Mode Names screen.

Maybe it's just how I am looking at it.

You can surely make it a request to see that screen more on it's own kinda deal.
Yes you can get to the Flight Mode Names screen through the Sail setup screen if you want to erase your current setup and re enter everything. The setup screen warns you that it will erase your model if you go ahead.
You can change the F-Mode setup easily to add or modes, but the F-Mode name screen is hidden behind the Prev button instead of there being a Next button that should take you to the F-Mode name screen.
I still think it is a bug and it certainly the manual how to get to it except through the Model Type setup screen. Manuals always seem to be an afterthought these days.
I blame Apple for starting that trend "Its so simple you don't need a manual". Or maybe it is a conspiracy by after market "For Dummies" book publishers.
Sep 05, 2012, 02:52 PM
OUCH!!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal
Jay
Have you been charging it with an external charger? At what rate have you been charging it? When you checked it with your meter was that static voltage or did you have the equivalent load of the Tx on it when checking externally? Or maybe you tapped into the lead and directly compared the reading on a meter with the display while it was powered on?

It is possible to have a calibration issue but it is also possible if not more probable that there may be an issue with the circuit in the pack itself.
A half a volt is a long way out of calibration.

What pack are you running?
I am running the stock pack, and always charge it with the supplied charger. I hooked it up to the icharger once to see what was going on, and was surprised by what I found. Just odd that the I charger and no load meter agree exactly and the radio itself is off by a bit.

Jay
Sep 05, 2012, 08:43 PM
Сделем Америку Великой Снова
Does anybody know if there is a global setting to disable the sounds? I know you can do it on a per model basis, but when I'm setting a bunch of planes it would be nice to not have to disable sounds on every model.

Does anybody know if you can copy a plane setup from the DX8 to the DX18? If not, could spektrum make a utility to convert the setup files?
Sep 05, 2012, 09:23 PM
Surface, Air & Water Rc Toys..
No global sound setting but it has been request already.

Can't use DX8 spm file for the DX18.
Sep 06, 2012, 04:02 AM
I think it is hard to convert since the DX18 offers so many ways to do things.

I would recommend that you do it by hand. You could use the https://sites.google.com/site/txprof...home/downloads to display the DX8 settings on the PC, so you do not have to scroll to the various screens on the DX8.
Sep 06, 2012, 08:28 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mukenukem
I think it is hard to convert since the DX18 offers so many ways to do things.

I would recommend that you do it by hand. You could use the https://sites.google.com/site/txprof...home/downloads to display the DX8 settings on the PC, so you do not have to scroll to the various screens on the DX8.
Thanks for the link.

If Spektrum paid me for my time and provided the approriate specifications, I know I could do it. These sorts of things aren't hard, though there might be an oppotrunity or financial cost on the part of Spektrum.

DX18 to DX8 would be more problematic. DX8 to DX18 seems from an outside perspective to be not so difficult. Tedious perhaps, but not as tedious as having each customer do it by hand.

Sep 06, 2012, 08:38 AM
From an inside perspective, it's a big deal. While not impossible, it's certainly a BIG project.

Just as an example, take a default model from your DX8 and export it. Do the same for a DX18. Compare the results. Note in particular the quantity of differences in values assigned for things with "ID" in their name.

Andy
Sep 06, 2012, 10:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz
From an inside perspective, it's a big deal. While not impossible, it's certainly a BIG project.

Just as an example, take a default model from your DX8 and export it. Do the same for a DX18. Compare the results. Note in particular the quantity of differences in values assigned for things with "ID" in their name.

Andy
For the guys who just like a nice easy to use tx - the DX8 shines
I think of it as a "concept " design and the DX18 as a "refined concept " design.
It becomes apparant very quickly that the amount of info available in the DX18 tx required a different processing setup-
so---- I decided that it would be best for me - to accept that programs are not interchangeable even tho the "programming concept" is basically the same .
Sep 06, 2012, 10:37 AM
Regarding the DX8, I just looked at my receipt, and what I got for it. $340 for a DX8, TM1000 and sensors, and two AR8000s. The radio was cheaper than a DX6i in that deal. Which is probably why I jumped all over it last year. I'd probably jump all over it again if they offered it still.

That DX8 deal must have been a loss leader, or manufacturing/distribution costs must have doubled in the last year.
Sep 06, 2012, 10:44 AM
Suspended Account
Wow-where did you get that deal? I'd be all over it like a cheap suit!

Quick Reply