E-flite 300 A6M5 Zero BNF Basic - Page 36 - RC Groups
Shop our Airplanes Products Drone Products Sales
Thread Tools
Dec 19, 2012, 04:02 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by dude_109
RyramZ,
Nice save. I've hit a light pole with a 50mm EDF jet and it came down in pieces

You mentioned in the video about CA, considering this plane is EPS, is regular CA fine or do you need foam safe CA?
Forget CA on this type of foam it's too britle. I use polyurethan (PU) glue for foam
repair. But beware it expands and the parts has to be locked to avoid deformation. (PU glue has a slow cure, hot glue for quick and dirty field repair)

I believe some CA's are better but so far I've always went back to PU)

Some says You may use ordinary CA on some EPP foams, never tried it my self.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Dec 19, 2012, 08:57 AM
Bombs away!!!
quitcherbitchen's Avatar
That would be all good Floey, but PU is hard to find in the states. The best we have is Gorilla Glue white. Which isn't bad, but not PU. Besides, when the firewall is just cracked and not broken off Foam CA is good. Yes, it will probably break again, but at least your not grounded the rest of the day. Foam CA is a HUGE rip off for what it is. Double the price of regular.
Dec 21, 2012, 01:22 PM
Registered User
Krycek W's Avatar
For me the best foam glue for foam use is the UHU Por. It's a slow cure glue, but flexible so it does't break like CA or foam safe CA and does't expand.

It is incredible for building indoor F3P in depron or EPP foam. I use it too on the EPS and EPO without any problem.

I had repair the broked nose of my Zero and It's still holding it.
Jan 05, 2013, 06:53 PM
Der Schaum-Kriegsvogel Pilot
FLTRI's Avatar
Hey Guys, new member warning, first post.

I picked up a Zero on eBay about a month ago, for under $100. I got the model new, but with the infamous broken cowl. I fixed it with tooth pick stiffeners and a bit of epoxy. I'm confident it's much stronger now than it was new and unbroken. As a bit of luck, the broken off cowl damaged the bottom of the wing in shipping, it was rattling around and dinged up the bottom of the wing in the box. I contacted the seller, and they promptly sent me a replacement wing, complete with servo!

I too had to add a bunch of weight to the front to get her balanced, I used solder wire. I shaped it to fit on the inside of the foam cowl, and tacked it in place with foam safe CA.

I reversed the aileron linkages as suggested here, and it doesn't foul with the Rx. I took an Exacto knife to the plug on the aileron servo and shaved it down a bit. Now, I can carefully remove the plug without issues, but it's still a firm pull, so I doubt it'll come loose in flight.

After some Googleing, I found this thread, and read all the posts. I want to thank all of you that discussed the modifications, issues and solutions. I'd likely have given up on this little gem without your help. It's a great little park flier, I love the size. A bit bigger than a Micro, and handles wind much better, but not as big as my PZ P-47. so I can fly her locally, and not have to trek to a proper field.
Jan 05, 2013, 07:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by FLTRI
Hey Guys, new member warning, first post.

I picked up a Zero on eBay about a month ago, for under $100. I got the model new, but with the infamous broken cowl. I fixed it with tooth pick stiffeners and a bit of epoxy. I'm confident it's much stronger now than it was new and unbroken. As a bit of luck, the broken off cowl damaged the bottom of the wing in shipping, it was rattling around and dinged up the bottom of the wing in the box. I contacted the seller, and they promptly sent me a replacement wing, complete with servo!

I too had to add a bunch of weight to the front to get her balanced, I used solder wire. I shaped it to fit on the inside of the foam cowl, and tacked it in place with foam safe CA.

I reversed the aileron linkages as suggested here, and it doesn't foul with the Rx. I took an Exacto knife to the plug on the aileron servo and shaved it down a bit. Now, I can carefully remove the plug without issues, but it's still a firm pull, so I doubt it'll come loose in flight.

After some Googleing, I found this thread, and read all the posts. I want to thank all of you that discussed the modifications, issues and solutions. I'd likely have given up on this little gem without your help. It's a great little park flier, I love the size. A bit bigger than a Micro, and handles wind much better, but not as big as my PZ P-47. so I can fly her locally, and not have to trek to a proper field.

Welcome FTLRI,

Congratulation on your chioce; she flies exteremlly well for one so tiny.

If you have the opportunity of a suitable 700 to 800 mAh, slimline, 2s pack
... you should be able to achieve the same C-of-G by sliding it fully forward into the cowl cavity, without need of your 'dead' nose-weight.

I regulary get 8 to 10 minutes mixed-flight duration out of my 800 mAh packs, with some left.

In order to get a pack to slide reliably fully across the cowl cavity, you may need to re-deploy the ESC to under the front face of the wing inside the fuse.

Last edited by Plane Chaos; Jan 07, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
Jan 05, 2013, 07:58 PM
Der Schaum-Kriegsvogel Pilot
FLTRI's Avatar
Thanks Chaos, appreciated.

I did get some 800 mah batteries on the cheap from HK, based on advise from one of your posts here, I believe. They took a while to arrive, so I've been flying on a couple of 480's and a 500 I picked up locally. I also have a 300, it's very light so it has a fifty cent piece taped to it for balance. It's mostly my "testing battery" as it's only good for about 3 minutes, at best.

The 800's I bought are too thick to fit properly, I may do some shaving and see if I can get them in (also on advise from a previous post of yours, I believe). Good idea on not adding dead weight, much better to have the weight in power.

The Zero flies much like the P-47, so I'm loving the fact that I can hone my skills on the little Zero, and then tackle the P-47 with confidence...
Jan 06, 2013, 09:26 PM
Registered User
im gonna add a wire diagram for adding the as3x brick , im glad to see others have gotten this bird, i like the size.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionsx00
cool setup, i didnt realize how little space this plane has.

at first i thought it had alot but man was i wrong.

here a some pics of my finished setup with the AS3X RX

Jan 07, 2013, 07:39 PM
Registered User
here is the diagram, hope this helps

i know its complicated but, im a heli guy, and i did have major headaches

Jan 07, 2013, 08:11 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by fusionsx00
im gonna add a wire diagram for adding the as3x brick , im glad to see others have gotten this bird, i like the size.
Hey there fusion,

Congrats on this ground-breaking stuff.

Are there any issues with load-rating on the brick outputs into the stock Zero servos ?

I see Spectrum have now released a full range / full scale AS3x Rx.

Jan 08, 2013, 09:25 PM
Registered User
hey guys, anyone knows what spare plastic spinner can fit this plane, stock in mine is very unbalanced after 150 bellylandings.

Regards!
Jan 08, 2013, 10:32 PM
Registered User
thx,
i looked for specs on the as3x brick but i didnt see any, the 40 or so flights have been trouble free, nothing has burned up or stopped working. I was hoping spektrum would make a stand alone rx with as3x , im impatient so i didnt want to wait for spektrum and then i was not sure if they would ever do it in a size that would fit this model.
im really happy with the way the plane flies now, i gotta find a new plane now to put the new spektrum into
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plane Chaos
Hey there fusion,

Congrats on this ground-breaking stuff.

Are there any issues with load-rating on the brick outputs into the stock Zero servos ?

I see Spectrum have now released a full range / full scale AS3x Rx.

Jan 08, 2013, 10:41 PM
Registered User
wow this thing looks huge

i would love to throw this in my habu if i could find the room, i still have problems flying at slower speeds and my eyes are really bad now i cant see like i used to, and now i tend to fly lower and slower.

i gotta figure out if i can make 6 channels work though, i have flaps and setup with dual ailerons and i dont like using y cables
Jan 17, 2013, 10:56 PM
They call me Lipo.....
Justwingit's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryramZ
ENJOY! I hit a telephone pole and flew out of it. Good times.
That's one of the best saves I've seen...great piloting.

Please don't do that with the Archer....
Latest blog entry: E-flite UMX Timber!
Jan 18, 2013, 06:35 PM
Registered User
the zero is doing good, let my kid fly it today and he loved it.(linked to my tx)

the only thing i saw is the tail was fluttering up and down on fast flight. i gotta find out how to turn my gyro gain down.
Jan 20, 2013, 12:14 AM
Your Pilot Ryan
ryramZ's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Justwingit
That's one of the best saves I've seen...great piloting.

Please don't do that with the Archer....
Thanks LOL! I'll do my best.


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Sold E-Flite P-40 warhawk 300 BNF Propnutz Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 6 Dec 18, 2011 01:23 PM
Wanted UMX Extra 300 3D BNF by E-flite RD Gator Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 6 Dec 11, 2011 08:48 PM
Sold E-Flite umx extra 300 Bnf ian145 Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 0 Nov 14, 2011 04:18 PM
Sold E-Flite Ultimate 20-300 Bi Plane $220 Shipped BNF w/ everything perschek Aircraft - Electric - Airplanes (FS/W) 1 Nov 07, 2011 12:42 PM
Sold E-Flite UMX Extra 300 3D BNF - [$125] obo uberjay Aircraft - Electric - Micro & Indoor Airplanes (FS/W) 5 Oct 11, 2011 10:45 PM