Mar 04, 2013, 07:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhoov128
I only have ever ROG mine one time, the wheels were so off center it bounced most of the time. If you have it trimmed well a handlaunch is like a laser beam, half thottle, give 'er a toss and it just motors straight away from you. Totally agree about the prop - it's pretty flexible too and grass landings have never been a problem. LOVE this little plane.

Dude_109 and Bhoov128,

+ 1 and ditto BOTH of you!!!

She's a sweetheart!

Tom
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2013, 07:56 PM
Electric Coolhunter
Quote:
I only have ever ROG mine one time, the wheels were so off center it bounced most of the time. If you have it trimmed well a handlaunch is like a laser beam, half thottle, give 'er a toss and it just motors straight away from you. Totally agree about the prop - it's pretty flexible too and grass landings have never been a problem. LOVE this little plane.
I got lucky...my wheels are nicely centered and mine takes off and lands like a much larger model....smooth as silk.

I have several dozen flights on mine and have yet to fly it without the gear.
Latest blog entry: My 2022 event schedule.
Mar 04, 2013, 11:34 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thomas B
I got lucky...my wheels are nicely centered and mine takes off and lands like a much larger model....smooth as silk.

I have several dozen flights on mine and have yet to fly it without the gear.
I have only a dirt (here in Florida that's read as "soft sand") road to use for runway behind my house, as I fly in a retention field and don't really like loading up the car to drive off somewhere, and when you land a 1/2" wheel in soft sand, well, you stop, and you stop quick.
Mar 11, 2013, 02:57 PM
I just want to go fly!
looking to get a new micro. p-40 or spit? who has both and what are the differences in flight performance? i have over 250 flights on the t-28. love that little plane. thanks.
Mar 11, 2013, 03:01 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd
looking to get a new micro. p-40 or spit? who has both and what are the differences in flight performance? i have over 250 flights on the t-28. love that little plane. thanks.
I only have the spit but I freaking love it. I mean like FING love it. Puts a big smile on my face every time I streak it past at full throttle, knee high off the deck.
Mar 11, 2013, 04:12 PM
I purchased a champ 3 weeks ago with about 10 hours of flight time on it so far. I just purchased a new BNF spitfire this past weekend. I have been parcaticing my hand launches, rolling take-off and landings. What should I do before I am ready to maiden my new spit?
Mar 11, 2013, 04:26 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by walter3rd
looking to get a new micro. p-40 or spit
My Spitfire is quite a bit "peppier" than my lethargic P-40 -- somewhat a scale comparison, I suppose. The AS3X seems to be more active in my Spit, but both planes are very well behaved because of it. I'll probably sell my P-40 - it flies very "nicely" but ... (yawn).

Since you have plenty of stick time, I definitely recommend with the Spitfire.

Gene K
Mar 11, 2013, 04:37 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01
My Spitfire is quite a bit "peppier" than my lethargic P-40 -- somewhat a scale comparison, I suppose. The AS3X seems to be more active in my Spit, but both planes are very well behaved because of it. I'll probably sell my P-40 - it flies very "nicely" but ... (yawn).

Since you have plenty of stick time, I definitely recommend with the Spitfire.

Gene K
You might have gotten one of the infamous bum motors from the factory, perhaps a Bravo SX would change your opinion of the plane, but then again why pay extra for parts on a brand new plane, it should work out of the box.
Mar 11, 2013, 07:32 PM
I just want to go fly!
i have some of the flat rectangle hyperion 180 1s batteries. any way to get them in this bird without removing the lower cowling? there super batteries!
Mar 11, 2013, 08:06 PM
Still Flying
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crimsonhooch
I purchased a champ 3 weeks ago with about 10 hours of flight time on it so far. I just purchased a new BNF spitfire this past weekend. I have been parcaticing my hand launches, rolling take-off and landings. What should I do before I am ready to maiden my new spit?
I would take my time before flying the Spit. I love mine and it is a sweet plane but much faster than the Champ.

My preference is to hand launch airplanes plane under handed. Assuming you are right handed hold your transmitter in your left hand and upper portion of the planes fuselage in your right hand. Move the throttle to full throttle and launch the plane with a few steps forward and a nice underhanded throw. The plane should leave your hand with a positive angle of attack. This is much more natural than an over hand throw.

I was involved in 1/12 scale combat several years back and learned that holding planes over my head was not healthy or very successful for consistent hand launching. Part of the lesson had to do with the streamer attached to the aircraft but the habit of underhanded launching has been very successful over the years.
Mar 11, 2013, 09:53 PM
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I put mine at about half throttle and javelin throw it out from my shoulder like a dart. And then it just motors away smooth as can be. I think I'd probably lodge a propeller in my eye if I tried underhanded throws.
Mar 12, 2013, 08:33 AM
Quote:
Different strokes for different folks I guess. I put mine at about half throttle and javelin throw it out from my shoulder like a dart. And then it just motors away smooth as can be. I think I'd probably lodge a propeller in my eye if I tried underhanded throws.
Same launch technique here, works every time
Tim
Mar 12, 2013, 01:42 PM
Closed Account
I launch mine overhanded also, don't have any trouble at all with the smaller UM's.

However I watched a vid of a guy launching a parkflyer underhanded, and it looked alot better than overhanded for that size of bird anyway.

Also, I broke a wingtip off a while back and just CA'd and glued it back on, no problem. I had a new wing on hand but was saving it. Wind howling and I got bored and wanted to work on a plane, so I decided to swap out the wing.

When I pulled the fuse hatch off, the first thing I noticed is the RX/ESC board was loose in there. The two small spots of the white glue they use had come loose. There is no way the servos could have been pushing/pulling the control surfaces enough.

Heck of it is, the bird has never had a hard enough bump to dis-lodge the board. You guys might check this if you have your hatch off.

Kyle
Mar 12, 2013, 07:35 PM
Hi everyone
I just got mine spitfire and little disappointed.
It look like prop was glued wrong or something.
Then it spins in low speed the prop jumping and whole airplane is shaking.
Plane is 2 days old got it from local hobby store.

I went to store today , owner has dayoff. Sellers person said it normal, and if I want he can open up plane and try too fix. I dont want to destroy new plane.

I'll try to make video tomorow.
Who can tell me if it ok?
That else I can do?(return,waranty)

Thank you.
Mar 12, 2013, 09:30 PM
Closed Account
Quote:
Originally Posted by DennyNC
Hi everyone
I just got mine spitfire and little disappointed.
It look like prop was glued wrong or something.
Then it spins in low speed the prop jumping and whole airplane is shaking.
Plane is 2 days old got it from local hobby store.

I went to store today , owner has dayoff. Sellers person said it normal, and if I want he can open up plane and try too fix. I dont want to destroy new plane.

I'll try to make video tomorow.
Who can tell me if it ok?
That else I can do?(return,waranty)

Thank you.

The whole airplane shaking is not normal, sounds like you have a bad vibration, maybe prop out of balance or distorted?

Quick Reply