Oct 05, 2012, 12:41 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
TAKE OFF the landing gear folks!!!!
This little gem flys MUCH better without it :-)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 05, 2012, 12:45 PM
Have fun
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01
"We"? What, me worry?

I respect your concerns as they reflect your expectations and your resulting opinions, but hopefully the majority of folks who get or are getting the Spitfire will appreciate it for the scale warbird that it is.

I think there's been a disproportionate number of critical/negative posts about this little gem by a persistent few, to the effect of turning off potential buyers.

In that regard, why not start the Spitfire Mod thread now where motor mods and flight control realignment can be discussed...along with advice on how to scale-down that beauty by removing gear covers, spinners, and modifying propellers, battery hatches, etc?

Gene K
Speedyo1, you're perfectly right I shouldnt have said we, especially since the real spitfire didnt have unlimited vertical!
Oct 05, 2012, 12:48 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Oh ,,, and as a side note about the ASX ,, was also flying the beast 3d with ASX yesterday as well along with the Spit in the 10 mph wind it was CLEARLY evident just how much better it handled the wind than the spit. No big surprise there huh?? It has ALOT more mass and power,, but the little spits ASX not too bad,,, would go suddenly straight up and down vertically a couple feet with gusts but still held a pretty straight course, and penetrated fairly good at full power,, would hover power off gliding coming in,, but yet still fairly stable. Interesting this ASX technology
Oct 05, 2012, 12:50 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Airman74
TAKE OFF the landing gear folks!!!!
This little gem flys MUCH better without it :-)
Mine should be on porch when I get home, beautiful day and no wind so off to field ASAP.

I fly all my UM's with out gear, no runway where I fly so I just flop them on tall grass, never any damage. All of mine, T-28, P-52, CC, Beast fly better with out the gear, have left gear on Mossie but it still plops on top of grass and weeds just fine.

Looks from pic's that 180-190Ma cell is about the largest that will fit.
Anyone have luck with larger pack? Fly most of mine UM's on 190 MA packs.
500Ma in Mossie, 325Ma in CC and 240ma in Beast.
Tim
Oct 05, 2012, 12:50 PM
E sailplane thermal hack
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower
Speedyo1, you're perfectly right I shouldnt have said we, especially since the real spitfire didnt have unlimited vertical!
Good point
Oct 05, 2012, 01:01 PM
FAA is Sofa King We Todd Did

Maiden

I had my 1st flights on this little model today.

Timer set @ 3minutes 30 seconds. Flying w/ LG. Wind 0 to 4 mph. I set up D/R= low 85 w/ 25 expo, high 100 w/ 30 expo. I did all my flights with high rates.

Where I flew today the old runway is rough, so I take -off with a hand toss and land on the runway.

1st flight w/ stock battery. Full throttle and a good overhand toss and she was off. I would say the speed is slightly faster than my UM T28. ( SLOW). My polecat is much faster. I always run my UM models w/ hyperion 160's.

Rolls are nice, turns seem better with coordinated ailerons and rudder. I will be moving the rudder control horn all the way in for more authority. My rudder pushrod was glued to the fuselage by the way. Something to check in your new model pre-flight checks.

Inverted flight is good, mine requires some elevator and full throttle. I found myself at full throttle almost the entire flight, for every flight.

I didn't try knife edge yet.

2nd flight with Hyperion 160. The motor started pulsing @ 2 minutes 45 seconds. (Must be an old cell)

3rd and 4th flights with hyperion 160's again. Speed seemed on par to the stock brand new battery. I only flew 3 minutes for each flight.

This model looks great in the air, easy to land with only a little throttle required.

MY wing fitment is terrible from the factory. Other than that and the slow speed, this is a good looking and handling model. Great for scale flights, not so good for us speed demons.
Oct 05, 2012, 02:27 PM
UMX 3S OG
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn
Mine should be on porch when I get home, beautiful day and no wind so off to field ASAP.

I fly all my UM's with out gear, no runway where I fly so I just flop them on tall grass, never any damage. All of mine, T-28, P-52, CC, Beast fly better with out the gear, have left gear on Mossie but it still plops on top of grass and weeds just fine.

Looks from pic's that 180-190Ma cell is about the largest that will fit.
Anyone have luck with larger pack? Fly most of mine UM's on 190 MA packs.
500Ma in Mossie, 325Ma in CC and 240ma in Beast.
Tim
Good to hear yours is on its way!
and about the gear, I'm in the same spot as you.. flying over and landing in grass, not so good for the gear
All my flight reports are without landing gear.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wavekatcher
I had my 1st flights on this little model today.

Timer set @ 3minutes 30 seconds. Flying w/ LG. Wind 0 to 4 mph. I set up D/R= low 85 w/ 25 expo, high 100 w/ 30 expo. I did all my flights with high rates.

Where I flew today the old runway is rough, so I take -off with a hand toss and land on the runway.

1st flight w/ stock battery. Full throttle and a good overhand toss and she was off. I would say the speed is slightly faster than my UM T28. ( SLOW). My polecat is much faster. I always run my UM models w/ hyperion 160's.

Rolls are nice, turns seem better with coordinated ailerons and rudder. I will be moving the rudder control horn all the way in for more authority. My rudder pushrod was glued to the fuselage by the way. Something to check in your new model pre-flight checks.

Inverted flight is good, mine requires some elevator and full throttle. I found myself at full throttle almost the entire flight, for every flight.

I didn't try knife edge yet.

2nd flight with Hyperion 160. The motor started pulsing @ 2 minutes 45 seconds. (Must be an old cell)

3rd and 4th flights with hyperion 160's again. Speed seemed on par to the stock brand new battery. I only flew 3 minutes for each flight.

This model looks great in the air, easy to land with only a little throttle required.

MY wing fitment is terrible from the factory. Other than that and the slow speed, this is a good looking and handling model. Great for scale flights, not so good for us speed demons.
I've got a different prop on m Polecat so I can't compare speeds really.. but my P-51 sounds like your PC as being the faster bird

my flight times are a little better than yours I think, and the stock battery does very well IMO
possibly better than my other packs

wing issue the same for me, looks more like the way its molded..

and the scale during flights is AWESOME!
I love doing big sweeping truns towards me, looks like a real plane about to shoot me
Oct 05, 2012, 02:43 PM
is this micro thin like the micro t-28 that looked like easy to damage only holding it in you hand?
Oct 05, 2012, 02:53 PM
UMX 3S OG
Quote:
Originally Posted by matrixFLYER
is this micro thin like the micro t-28 that looked like easy to damage only holding it in you hand?

actually it feels very solid, with extra weight to it
built very well IMO
Oct 05, 2012, 02:58 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55
actually it feels very solid, with extra weight to it
built very well IMO
Excellent, thanks!

I was thinking...isn't the MSRX main motor the most powerfull motor on micro helicopeters?????

If it's so we could use it to replace the original sptfire motor or not?

I have an msr x at home
Oct 05, 2012, 03:06 PM
when down=up, up=expensive
Different shape -longer and thinner casing and different number of teeth on the gear 8 i believe vs 9 on the stock motor.
Oct 05, 2012, 03:16 PM
-=BS=-
OK guys here's a hat-cam video of the micro Spitfire.
Seven or so more flights and I've gotten to really like this little plane.
Flies much better than the original UM P51.
I decided to remove the LG mounts from the wing as well as the tail wheel.
HH has released a nice product here.
IMO fresh (ie NEW) 25C lipos or better are essential
and a lego minifigure head makes a good pilot substitute

HH Um Spitfire (4 min 20 sec)
Oct 05, 2012, 03:32 PM
After flying mine with my old cells I decided the same thing. Bought new Eflight 150's and now I can get 5 minutes at full throttle.
Oct 05, 2012, 03:36 PM
BMFA 190658
Quote:
Originally Posted by w4yn
A Carbon Cub without gear
Suppose I'm no better, I'm working on a tricycle undercarriage using the rear float mount. A steering nose wheel is going to be tricky!

Tony
Oct 05, 2012, 03:38 PM
Just so you know, I was courious where they weight is coming from on this plane. I took the brick out and weight it.

1S AS3X brick is 6.6 grams... So where is the weight of the plane coming from?

I am loving this plane. Small and slow enough I can fly it in my dead end street. Which I can't do with my Beast or Mig.

Quick Reply