Oct 03, 2012, 11:44 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by I R Irv
I think the only real broblem is where you going to put a 2-cell battery in the Spit? You should open up the Spit and post some pics of the inside for us.
TODD
I would open up the Spitty like the Sbach/Beast---And use rare earth magnets to close up the cowl...With my new 2S Champ on floats I have a cowl cut forward of the windscreen as per the Sbach/Beast...I now place the 2S batts in this compartment just like the Sbach/Beast and modified the Champ to hold these batts with a 2mm Depron tray ...

When the parts become availabe to build a Spitty "kit" of this conversion it will be easier to visualize the mods as more and more modelers experiment...

Kevin
to remove ads between posts
Oct 03, 2012, 11:49 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by airpower
Wouldnt an SX motor solve everything much more simply and elegantly?
No--The Bravo/SX motors only provide a small power gain as compared to going with a 2S setup...A Bravo/SX motor combo will never equal to a 2S brushless setup...

Kevin
Last edited by Kevin Greene; Oct 03, 2012 at 11:56 PM.
Oct 04, 2012, 12:06 AM
Have fun
Okay, I usually prefer more minor upgrades, and I feel like an sx motor would provide a significant enough power boost for more elbow room with scale manuevers, for me anyways. Good luck with 2S, I hope you guys get spacing figured out!
Oct 04, 2012, 12:24 AM
**I'm Battman**
Quote:
ap,

Very elegant, plug-n-play option once the SP or SX motor has been converted to the 9 tooth stock pinion and Horizon plug.

How to thread here...
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1326158

Most SX motors provide approx 30% power increase over stock Horizon brushed motors.
Quality batts are a must.

The amazing part is they seem to run forever.
Very impressive for a small brushed motor.
I personally have hundreds of flights on my SX powered Sukhoi, 4-site and mSR.

rc
Oct 04, 2012, 06:03 AM
I will keep my on 1S never wanted a barn burner, I got other planes for that. Wouldn't the higher weight of a 2S setup kill the slow speed flight ability? I imagine the 2S motor alone would weigh almost as much as the 1S guts. What we really need is a nice simple brushless 1S solution gives you more speed and the reliability of the brushless motors.
Oct 04, 2012, 07:49 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyMatt
I will keep my on 1S never wanted a barn burner, I got other planes for that. Wouldn't the higher weight of a 2S setup kill the slow speed flight ability? I imagine the 2S motor alone would weigh almost as much as the 1S guts. What we really need is a nice simple brushless 1S solution gives you more speed and the reliability of the brushless motors.
yep, a small 1S inrunner would be nice
Oct 04, 2012, 08:59 AM
when down=up, up=expensive
Quote:
I can't imagine jumping to 2S without at least trying a BSX and 2 blader first. It doesn't seem like this thing needs a complete overhaul, just a little bit more kick. I agree that it should be able to loop nicely.

Airman, you and BL55 seem to have very different experiences w/ your birds. We know that there is a lot of variability in the stock brushless motors, not to mention elevation (no arguments, please, let's just agree that your birds fly differently for whatever reason).

So, question for both of you (and anyone else who has one). Can you do a smooth loop (round at the top, no nose "plop") from a straight and level full throttle flight WITH the LG on? For me, this is the test for this thing. If it can't be done stock (again, with LG), then can it do it with a 2 blader? If it cant' be done stock w/ 2 blader, can it do it with a BSX motor and 2 blader? If none of the above, I think the story for me will be "severely underpowered" and I'll still buy it but at least know what I'm getting..

Oct 04, 2012, 09:13 AM
BMFA 190658
Lets see....

The Parkzone Spitfire IX comes with a 2 blade prop, we all try to put a 4 blade on.
This UM Spitfire comes with a 4 blade prop on it for us and then we want a 2

HH, I really feel your pain!
Oct 04, 2012, 09:32 AM

Cg

Got one last night. Very good looking considering size and material. Assembled with standard Lipo the CG is coming out at more like 23 - 24mm instead of 20mm. Seems like a lot for a small airframe. I see no mention of this by those actually flying them. Also could not get cowl to fit with stock Lipo without removing some velcro and pull tab. No problem binding it to my TX. Too windy 30mph gusts today, going to have to be patient.
Oct 04, 2012, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot
Lets see....

The Parkzone Spitfire IX comes with a 2 blade prop, we all try to put a 4 blade on.

LOL. We're a tough crowd, aren't we? We're getting a ready-to-fly out of the box micro miracle with a gyro in it that 10 years ago would have been the 8th wonder of the world and we/I sit around and nit pick it to death.

Now I understand my wife's complaints about me a little better. Could it possibly be that I'm only the 8th wonder of the world in my own mind?

Nah. Foolish woman.
Oct 04, 2012, 09:59 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by whichwaysup
We're getting a ready-to-fly out of the box micro miracle with a gyro in it ...
Love it!

Quote:
Can you do a smooth loop (round at the top, no nose "plop") from a straight and level full throttle flight WITH the LG on?
Could a 1:1 Spitfire?

(I don't think so)

Gene K
Oct 04, 2012, 10:03 AM
UMX 3S OG
Quote:
I can't imagine jumping to 2S without at least trying a BSX and 2 blader first. It doesn't seem like this thing needs a complete overhaul, just a little bit more kick. I agree that it should be able to loop nicely.

Airman, you and BL55 seem to have very different experiences w/ your birds. We know that there is a lot of variability in the stock brushless motors, not to mention elevation (no arguments, please, let's just agree that your birds fly differently for whatever reason).

So, question for both of you (and anyone else who has one). Can you do a smooth loop (round at the top, no nose "plop") from a straight and level full throttle flight WITH the LG on? For me, this is the test for this thing. If it can't be done stock (again, with LG), then can it do it with a 2 blader? If it cant' be done stock w/ 2 blader, can it do it with a BSX motor and 2 blader? If none of the above, I think the story for me will be "severely underpowered" and I'll still buy it but at least know what I'm getting..

Ok, I did just come back from flying both the P-51 and Spit but without LG
I fly over a big grassy park and don't want to rip the gear off
take a look at the bottom of the page

Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot
Lets see....

Quote:
LOL. We're a tough crowd, aren't we? We're getting a ready-to-fly out of the box micro miracle with a gyro in it that 10 years ago would have been the 8th wonder of the world and we/I sit around and nit pick it to death.

Now I understand my wife's complaints about me a little better. Could it possibly be that I'm only the 8th wonder of the world in my own mind?

Nah. Foolish woman.
LOL love it!

ok, I think everyone can agree that a 4 blade prop is less efficient than a 2 blade prop right?
less efficient = less air speed
less efficient = less thrust
see where this goes
plus the extra weight of the Spit

so even without LG so less weight and less wind resistance the Spit has a very hard time with the 4 blade prop doing a nice controlled scale loop
so with the LG the performance will be even less
My stock P-51 did loop after loop after loop

I am going to try the P-51 prop on my Spit later today. I need to keep my job so not much flying right now

I really hope this helps and opens up some light on things
Oct 04, 2012, 10:07 AM
Kit Manufacturer
Quote:
You forgot FOR $100!!
Oct 04, 2012, 10:09 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by speedy01
Love it!

Could a 1:1 Spitfire?

(I don't think so)

Gene K
Then they should really go back and fix that!

Really? I'm no technical guru, but that one surprises me. Somehow I thought that this was a pretty basic ability for a WWII warplane. Let the history and technical lessons begin.
Oct 04, 2012, 10:15 AM
Crazy Canuck
Is the aileron more down than up on the throws. I was wondering why I had to use so much rudder to turn it. I looked and sure enough it has more down than up.I flew it on low rates(70%)and she is very lazy in the roll but at high rate (100%) she was rolling like wild fire!!!! you definately need to keep your whits about you when flying the Spitfire. Once I got use to flying it she is great though the loops are a little loooopy if you put a dive in it. Found her to be a little squirmy in flight. The power seems to be a little weak with the 4 prop but still great to fly. I took off the landing gears and like that clean look

Quick Reply