Oct 15, 2012, 05:53 PM

E-flite ASK-21 Aerotow with the Carbon Cub

At last i had two pilots and a camera to film the E-flite Carbon Cub towing the ASK-21 glider into the air. Thers also another Bungee launch after the 3 aero tows, to show you just how much fun this glider is going to be. Next up for the ASK-21 now is to find a slope and film some slope soaring.
Thanks to Brian and Adrian for piloting the planes and to Mike from OMP for supplying the planes, so sit back and enjoy the aero tow

cheers chuck

E-flite ASK-21 Aerotow with the Carbon Cub (3 min 9 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Oct 15, 2012, 06:05 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker
At last i had two pilots and a camera to film the E-flite Carbon Cub towing the ASK-21 glider into the air. Thers also another Bungee launch after the 3 aero tows, to show you just how much fun this glider is going to be. Next up for the ASK-21 now is to find a slope and film some slope soaring.
Thanks to Brian and Adrian for piloting the planes and to Mike from OMP for supplying the planes, so sit back and enjoy the aero tow

cheers chuck
One of your best video (going back to the root and showing truly normal pilots trying to fly those new airplanes and having a bit of a hard time doing it). Loved it! But you need your tender half behind the camera though. That didn't look like her awesome camera work! Was funny to see the poor Cub, being stuck, with the tail in the air, trying to pull the glider. Thanks for another video. But again, we need more. Video by Corinne, glider flown by Chuck, and anybody else on the Cub. Go!
Oct 15, 2012, 07:00 PM
Interesting.

We've got a lot of large scale glider towing at my field but I think we'll have more trouble than you doing aerotow. It's a grass field and there's no way to take off from the ground. I think we'll try hand launch where the cub pilot pulls the glider out of my hand on launch and gives a real heave.

Dunno when that's likely to happen.

Just did some repair work on the cub. Except for the paint it still looks good despite a few crashes.

I will probably make a bigger hi start once I see what they supply. There's lots of room at the field, just too much grass for little planes.

Thanks for the video. I strongly agree that Corinne is an excellent videographer and should be recruited for more shooting.

Pete
Oct 15, 2012, 07:20 PM
how about a video besides one from pete, like one actually being unboxed by a customer. Still kinda upset about having $120 just sitting out there with no end in sight. Its like it should be in the trader talk as a deal gone south, "sure Ill ship it next week- I mean the next week- i mean next month- I promise Ill ship i soon- ok in three months- i mean one more month"
Oct 16, 2012, 06:20 AM
After the Carbon Cub fiasco I think it's in our interest that Horizon take all the time they need to make sure everything is okay.

I hate waiting as much as the next guy but I'd rather wait than get it and be disappointed or pissed off at a piece of junk.

Yeah, we missed thermal season in the northern hemisphere and my Cub is getting a little beat up but it's not like most of us don't have anything else to fly.

Truth is that I don't know where I'll find room to stash it. Maybe I'll start hanging these things from the ceiling and make a universal box or two that can be adjusted to hold a variety of planes. Not a joke. I've hit saturation with storage. That said, my real reason for being willing to wait is still the quality issue.

Pete
Oct 16, 2012, 06:58 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug
After the Carbon Cub fiasco I think it's in our interest that Horizon take all the time they need to make sure everything is okay. I hate waiting as much as the next guy but I'd rather wait than get it and be disappointed or pissed off at a piece of junk.
I half agree Pete Its one thing to wait one o two months, but 9 months is ridiculous.
Oct 16, 2012, 08:49 AM
Crazy Canuck
Yep I'm a little upset to over then time it takes for Horizon now to produce the next version of the CC and the still awaited Glider. As you noticed they're punching out other planes ahead of them already ....as if to get our mines off of the CC and glider. The Spitfire is out and has the same gyro in it as the glider so why hasn't it been put out to? There's no motor in it and why should it be more expensive than the Spitfire. As now Horizon has set the Brushless motored planes at $169 and the brushed (Spitfire ) $99 so the glider (no motor) should be???? I noticed the new 3-D UM is out at $139ish and IT's brushless mmmmmmm
Oct 16, 2012, 08:55 AM
Crazy Canuck
I think when the CC and glider come out SOON that many pilots are going to have crashes with them as aero towing isn't easy with these small planes.I think the bungee launch is better. Another thought how come you Aussies get the glider and we yanks get stuck with out LOL Good video and sounds like a bunch of fun blokes to hang with down under wish I was there, you guys are having too much fun there and looks warm to.
Oct 16, 2012, 11:37 AM
Have fun
NEWBEFLYER, the sbach 3D is 140 becuase it comes with not battery and charger.
Think about this in the glider cost,
It is completely new for its kind.
It has 31 inch winspan!
It comes with a 120 ft high start.
It comes with a 30 ft tow line and an onboard tow line release.
Comes with stake for high start.
And its an extremely extremely niche product.
Oct 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
Way to many airplanes!
The glider as been listed for $119 since day one...
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLU1280
Oct 16, 2012, 07:47 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler
The glider as been listed for $119 since day one...
http://www.e-fliterc.com/Products/De...rodID=EFLU1280
And at Wholesale Trains it will be even less!!!

Kevin
Oct 16, 2012, 08:59 PM
Chuck----I'm thinking that towing the glider to altitude with the CC would have been more successful if the winds hadn't been so high...Having been towed to altitude in full scale gliders it's a long, slow ride and takes coordination between pilots...I would have liked to have seen the glider towed to a higher altitude before being released...I understand that the wind prohibited this..Could you have waited for a more ideal day for majestic successful flights instead of rushing this just to be the first to post a vid???

I'm not trying to be negative and love your vids but I call 'em as I see 'em...

Kevin
Oct 16, 2012, 09:28 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin Greene
Chuck----I'm thinking that towing the glider to altitude with the CC would have been more successful if the winds hadn't been so high...Having been towed to altitude in full scale gliders it's a long, slow ride and takes coordination between pilots...I would have liked to have seen the glider towed to a higher altitude before being released...I understand that the wind prohibited this..Could you have waited for a more ideal day for majestic successful flights instead of rushing this just to be the first to post a vid???

I'm not trying to be negative and love your vids but I call 'em as I see 'em...

Kevin
Err considering i have had this glider since around May, have posted in-doors attempts at aero tow, an un-boxing and a couple of bungy launches and have been trying to get 2 pilots who fly micros and are willing to try an aero tow, a camera person who knows how to operate a camera and the weather to all come together on one day, when i live 100km from town, when i was at the Swanhill fun fly on the weekend and had 2 very experienced pilots, a camera person and weather that was almost there i took the opportunity to get some footage to share with the world

so no negativity taken, but i do not think this has been rushed

the last flight they did go pretty high and thats why i tried to zoom in, as planes this small just disappear in the sky, my camera is not that good by the time i re-found them and got focus the glider had come down a lot and the turbulence was affecting it, you can here the pilot say something to the like!

anyway as said we try our best, sorry if it's not up to pro standards all the time

cheers chuck
Oct 16, 2012, 10:38 PM
Klassische Bilder
Krickey, every time I hear (I mean read..) your posts, your down unda accent just comes flowing out, so kewl!

I know how much time it takes to create a video and make it all come together. Soon, us few diehard ASK-21 UMX pre-owners to be will be able to do the same, we are just jealous you've actually got one and can film and fly it! We all love yaa Chuck, keep up the coordinated work mate!
Oct 17, 2012, 05:46 AM
As I watched Chucks last ASK-21 video and the indoor one as well, I realized that towing this thing up to altitude may not be as simple as it sounds. The CCub is not going to muscle the glider around behind it. It looks like serious coordinated effort is required to keep both planes flying with that string between them. I think it will be a fun challenge.

I haven't heard of any update on release of these yet. I'm curious if they are just around the corner from release. I know as dates were pushed they were always scheduled to ship a couple weeks after the Spit. What ever the date I will be purchasing one and trying to find a small slope to fly her off of. Even if that turns out to be mid January.

Quick Reply