Mar 04, 2012, 12:30 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by RealGambler
To this day, I still wonder why they didn't simply added another beep at the end of initialisation! Like you, I think it's much shorter than 5 seconds. But HH probably played it safe since there was no physical way to know the gyros were happy. If it's really two (or three) seconds, they could not say it, because people would likely pick it up too fast.You would think that if it's only coding, adding a beep right after would have been easy. Oh well, I guess the wait is worth it no matter what!
RG,

Good point! I have also wondered why they didn't include an 'initialization confirmation' beep. Interestingly, the mQX senses movement and waits until the movement stops before actually initializing. I've also wondered why they didn't include that feature on the mCP X & fixed-wing AS3X bricks.

Sure wish I had a Carbon Cub w/floats right now! I could be having a blast shooting touch & gos on the foot of fresh, virgin snow in my yard...

Joel
to remove ads between posts
Mar 04, 2012, 01:18 PM
Do you see what I see?
Being a soon to be owner of the AS3X plane do you guys have suggestions/recommendations as far as what works best for you when installing a batt & getting ready to fly? Is there a "wrong" way or a "preferred" method that will help with an AS3X aircraft with initialization/arming? I thought I understood it but now after reading I'm getting confused!!
Mar 04, 2012, 03:01 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcoconut
Being a soon to be owner of the AS3X plane do you guys have suggestions/recommendations as far as what works best for you when installing a batt & getting ready to fly? Is there a "wrong" way or a "preferred" method that will help with an AS3X aircraft with initialization/arming? I thought I understood it but now after reading I'm getting confused!!
It's simple. Just be sure that the aircraft remains motionless during initialization - which takes about 2-5 seconds. When the rx light is steady, initialization is complete. Nothing more is required.

Joel
Mar 04, 2012, 03:11 PM
Do you see what I see?
Will do, thanks Joel!! (& had 2 GREAT flights with the UM F4U at dawn patrol this morning, 0630 departure.! What a difference in calm wind)
Mar 04, 2012, 03:31 PM
Confused? Who, me?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Roger,

Hope this helps to clarify things!

Joel
It does, greatly. I was sure you'd know the answer! Thank you

My mSRX must have got better simply because by putting it on a flat surface I wasn't waving it about. And since I read the AS3X stuff fairly diligently I can't understand why I haven't seen any of the many explanations you quote. But there you go, I know now - thank you again.
Mar 04, 2012, 05:42 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roger Lombard
It does, greatly. I was sure you'd know the answer! Thank you

My mSRX must have got better simply because by putting it on a flat surface I wasn't waving it about. And since I read the AS3X stuff fairly diligently I can't understand why I haven't seen any of the many explanations you quote. But there you go, I know now - thank you again.
Roger,

Yes, your mCP X got better because it was motionless during the process. Given the thousands of posts in these AS3X threads, a guy can easily miss a few! The good news is that there is no need to worry about orientation with any of the AS3X-equipped aircraft. Makes things much simpler. If orientation was important, a crowned road, sloped driveway, or having a taildragger sitting on all three wheels would throw the system off.

Joel
Mar 06, 2012, 07:17 PM
BMFA 190658
Couldn't resist any longer. Placed a pre order for this and the Carbon Cub
Mar 07, 2012, 03:59 AM
Small off-topic announcement.

Spence Lisenby DSed one of his planes to 498 mph!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2#post20962563

Waiting for that final two mph!

Pete
Mar 07, 2012, 04:07 AM
It should be noted that DS is possible at low speeds on small sites.

Check out SpeedsterDen on YouTube. He has some great videos of DSing things like Alula's.

I am definitely going to look for DS sites usable by my ASK-21.

Typical low speed DS comments are, when the front side is too weak to slope soar its often possible to DS the back side of a hill.

The key is energy retention. Might have to add ballast to the ASK-21 though I think SpeedsterDen flies his Alula unbalasted.

Pete
Mar 07, 2012, 06:42 AM
One more OT comment:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...7&postcount=55

My mind is totally blown. No place on the east coast where anyone DS's like this, but Mt. Washington and environs might be worth exploring.

I don't think I'd take the ASK-21 out of the box for those conditions. I'm not sure I'd take the box out of the car either, but I'd probably get out to watch.

Estimates on the former 489 record were that Spence hit 550 TAS. Radaring is done uphill against the wind.

Back to ASK-21 stuff. I couldn't help myself about announcing this.

Pete
Mar 07, 2012, 06:48 AM
Micro-Turbine Superhero
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug
Small off-topic announcement.

Spence Lisenby DSed one of his planes to 498 mph!

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...2#post20962563

Waiting for that final two mph!

Pete
Too bad he can not display his flights to the public without standing in a liveing hell, 100mph+winds at the edge of a ravine

however, fast for an UMX glider.
Mar 07, 2012, 07:45 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by henke
Too bad he can not display his flights to the public without standing in a liveing hell, 100mph+winds at the edge of a ravine

however, fast for an UMX glider.
Definitely NOT a UMX glider.

It's worth reading a bit about DS and DS world records.

There is supposed to be a video, but it has not yet been released.

Pete
Mar 07, 2012, 10:16 AM
BMFA 190658
Quote:
Typical low speed DS comments are, when the front side is too weak to slope soar its often possible to DS the back side of a hill.
Sorry Pete, can't get my head round that

If the wind is too calm to ridge run then how come you can DS the back of the hill? Is it to do with the curlover going back up again?

Tony
Mar 07, 2012, 11:29 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot
Sorry Pete, can't get my head round that

If the wind is too calm to ridge run then how come you can DS the back of the hill? Is it to do with the curlover going back up again?

Tony
Never DSed, but in general you can DS at more than five times the wind speed. You gain every time you cross the sheer line (in the right direction of course) so after a few sheer line crossings you are in a sort of lopsided loop and all you have to do is keep feelin for the most boost.

Do check out SpeedsterDen's videos on YouTube.

While the subject fascinates me I am in no position to do it, living in NYC and doing 99% of my flying at my club field.

I do hope to explore the slower side of DS with my ASK-21 and my Alula if and when I get around to finishing it. (Elevon programming issues put the Alula on hold.)

On your original question, I've read those words several times, posted by DSers. The usual is to launch into ridge lift then dive into the groove on "the dark side" as the DSers like to call it.

Pete
Mar 07, 2012, 11:47 AM
BMFA 190658
Quote:
Do check out SpeedsterDen's videos on YouTube.
Wow, that lunatic can fly
Like the bit where he crashed into the dune, it cartwheeled and then carried on flying!!

Quick Reply