May 06, 2013, 06:54 PM
Way to many airplanes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hance
My take on towing up the ASK-21
Very nice, I think it's the best way to launch the ASK-21!
to remove ads between posts
May 07, 2013, 02:24 AM
BMFA 190658
Tried to slope soar mine the other day without success

It was blowing real strong up a decent slope but I think there may have been too much curl over from the houses upwind...
May 12, 2013, 12:22 PM
I use this for my twin mcpx tail rotor mod
You can get it here:
http://www.rc-connectors.com/index.p...roducts_id=270

The two batteries fit great, doesn't affect the cg, don't have to do much modding of the canopy and can fly for 5+ minutes at 5800'
May 12, 2013, 09:24 PM
Hi all not a very long video but i thought i'd show you how we are now getting this amazing little glider in the air. The Carbon Cub is a great little UMX BUT! it is not really that good at towing the UMX ASK-21 high enough! So people are finding one of the Parkzone size planes does the job beautifully. So if you own or are thinking of buying the E-Flite UMX ASK-21 Glider here is the perfect way to get you high into the sky. As said just a short one but it shows how easy it is to do and on a windy day at that. Thanks to Josh Copeland and Alexis Scott the pilots

cheers chuck

E-Flite's UMX ASK21 Aero Tow By A PZ Stinson SR10 at the JR Aero Tow 2013 (1 min 18 sec)
May 15, 2013, 01:16 AM
I review RC Products
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChuckTseeker
Hi all not a very long video but i thought i'd show you how we are now getting this amazing little glider in the air. The Carbon Cub is a great little UMX BUT! it is not really that good at towing the UMX ASK-21 high enough! So people are finding one of the Parkzone size planes does the job beautifully. So if you own or are thinking of buying the E-Flite UMX ASK-21 Glider here is the perfect way to get you high into the sky. As said just a short one but it shows how easy it is to do and on a windy day at that. Thanks to Josh Copeland and Alexis Scott the pilots

cheers chuck

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=COMj6BtaT94
Nice thinking!
May 15, 2013, 09:59 AM
This may be a silly question, but has anyone tried launching this little bird with a full-length High-Start or Jump-Start?

Some have said the supplied launching cord doesn't get it high enough to effectively catch thermals. So, I'm wondering if a longer system would help?

Or would that just a) be too strong and tear the plane apart, or b) get it so high that you'd lose sight of it on launch?

Tom
May 15, 2013, 10:26 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by shepflyr
This may be a silly question, but has anyone tried launching this little bird with a full-length High-Start or Jump-Start?

Some have said the supplied launching cord doesn't get it high enough to effectively catch thermals. So, I'm wondering if a longer system would help?

Or would that just a) be too strong and tear the plane apart, or b) get it so high that you'd lose sight of it on launch?

Tom
A standard hi-start would be too much for this plane. I have had success in the past using 50' of Sig 1/4" rubber and several hundred feet of monofilament line to launch hand launch gliders in this size range. You get good height and it is gentle on the wings. I have an old Thermic 50 glider I used this system on. If anyone has built one of these they know the wing does not have a main spar and was not designed for hi-start launches. Have not broken the wing yet.
May 17, 2013, 11:58 AM
Quote:

You can simply use a longer line with the stock rubber rope depends on how much space you have. 30m longer line give a nice height.
May 18, 2013, 09:52 PM
Just a whisper in the wind
I bought an ask last week and now it has a bruushless motor mounted in it, I was surprised when I first flown it, too much power, but I'm still happy with it. I'd rather have the power and not need it then to need it and not have it. On the eflite 180mah 2s battery I got an average 12min of flight.
May 19, 2013, 02:32 AM
Tassie Electric, Heli, Glider
Quote:
Originally Posted by Birds of Prey
I bought an ask last week and now it has a bruushless motor mounted in it, I was surprised when I first flown it, too much power, but I'm still happy with it. I'd rather have the power and not need it then to need it and not have it. On the eflite 180mah 2s battery I got an average 12min of flight.
Sounds interesting. Can you post pics and details of the mods needed. Did you use the stock K21 brick (rx/servos) or change it?
May 19, 2013, 06:40 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChrisJ800
Sounds interesting. Can you post pics and details of the mods needed. Did you use the stock K21 brick (rx/servos) or change it?
I will tomorrow, I'm waiting for the ca to set. I had to replace the carbon supports in the body. Upon purchase I traded the brick out for $30.00 off. I used the dsm2 6ch as3x RX.
May 20, 2013, 07:22 PM
She's not that pretty but until she's completely broken then shell get a facelift. The change up took about 5min, the only hassle is adjusting the linkages and making them about 3mm shorter. I'm gonna try two 1s 500mah batteries since it would be easier to fit in, instead of the double stacked 2s batteries. I just have to get just connectors and more wire. I have my cg at 17mm instead of 18 as rec commended by manual. Any questions feel free to ask. The one thing is, the bungee cord wont work, to much weight.
May 23, 2013, 07:45 PM
How good is this little sailplane at thermaling? I'm guessing it's more of a slope flyer. Right?...or wrong?

Where I fly, my trusty ol' Radian sometimes gets some boomers and can even spec out. But most of the time it's scratchy lift. A fun challenge...just not very long flights unless I power up the motor again...5 - 12 min. max. Would this little guy even have a prayer of catching light lift like that?

Tom
May 23, 2013, 08:23 PM
Quote:
How good is this little sailplane at thermaling? I'm guessing it's more of a slope flyer. Right?...or wrong?

Where I fly, my trusty ol' Radian sometimes gets some boomers and can even spec out. But most of the time it's scratchy lift. A fun challenge...just not very long flights unless I power up the motor again...5 - 12 min. max. Would this little guy even have a prayer of catching light lift like that?

Tom
I'd say no. Using the high start you don't get much altitude so you have very little search time. Your best chance at catching a thermal would be on a slope that has some sunlight to heat the ground.

It's a nice but limited plane. That said I will add that I love mine.

Pete
May 24, 2013, 08:23 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by PeteSchug
I'd say no. Using the high start you don't get much altitude so you have very little search time. Your best chance at catching a thermal would be on a slope that has some sunlight to heat the ground.

It's a nice but limited plane. That said I will add that I love mine.

Pete
That's what I thought. Thanks!

Tom

Quick Reply