May 11, 2012, 10:21 AM
I have a stryker with ,I'm pretty sure the same servos and havent had one singlr problem with them in over 30 flights. That is making me think that all these servo problems have something to do with the production run of a particular lot of servos.
to remove ads between posts
May 11, 2012, 12:25 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2
I have a stryker with ,I'm pretty sure the same servos and havent had one singlr problem with them in over 30 flights. That is making me think that all these servo problems have something to do with the production run of a particular lot of servos.
It's interesting to me that it really seems like it is most prevalent in the first issue of any particular plane. I had it on my original Beast and on a polecat both of which were purchased the first day they were available. And now on my Cub with the same senario - first shipment.
I am always trying to analyze everything it seems - suppose it's because that's a big part of what I do for a living and the only thing that sort of makes sense is what someone else referred to earlier. Maybe the components for these first batches hang around at the manufacturing location longer than the later releases. It is pretty normal for any first production of any item to take longer to get out the door as processes are finalized, revised, improved, etc. and workers become more acclimated to the new processes. Could it be that this extra time exposes the servos to more harsh environments or they are not stored in ultimate conditions?
But I need to add though that in conflict to this pattern, I have probably at least 5 or 6 other um planes that were purchased at first release that did not have any problems though.
May 11, 2012, 12:41 PM
If it spins, wear it.
Had smooth air this morning, ran two packs through and didn't notice any difference from moving the battery forward. It seems with AS3X it hides the effect a fair amount. I did get the chance to mechanically trim her perfect and that does make a BIG difference. No more left turn on take off. Flys much straighter too. Mine was drifting left but I also could see a slight left rudder before bending the rod a hair. Got to fly with a flock of geese for a few seconds too . They were at the park and seemed indifferent to my flying near them. They usually get out of there fast if I fly my bigger planes, expected the same but they didn't see a threat with the CC I guess. At one point, they all took off and made a loop of the field and I happend to be near their path so I joined the formation for a few dozen feet. Might have gotten it on my KC camera, will check that later.
May 11, 2012, 02:06 PM
Just wanna fly!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly
It's interesting to me that it really seems like it is most prevalent in the first issue of any particular plane. I had it on my original Beast and on a polecat both of which were purchased the first day they were available. And now on my Cub with the same senario - first shipment.
I am always trying to analyze everything it seems - suppose it's because that's a big part of what I do for a living and the only thing that sort of makes sense is what someone else referred to earlier. Maybe the components for these first batches hang around at the manufacturing location longer than the later releases. It is pretty normal for any first production of any item to take longer to get out the door as processes are finalized, revised, improved, etc. and workers become more acclimated to the new processes. Could it be that this extra time exposes the servos to more harsh environments or they are not stored in ultimate conditions?
But I need to add though that in conflict to this pattern, I have probably at least 5 or 6 other um planes that were purchased at first release that did not have any problems though.

It does make sense that that could be a factor, where servo's are exposed to an environment that can cause corrosion, or dust, or some other debris.

If this is the case, DeoxIT should definately be the cure.
May 11, 2012, 03:40 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by jwp2
The Styker servos are not the same. All AS3X planes use special HD servos. None of the non-AS3X planes use them.

As I have said many times in many UM threads - those of us who have been flying these UMs for 3+ years have seen this same pattern with nearly every release: Sukhoi 26m, P-51, Sukhoi XP, F4U, Mosquito, mCP X, Beast V1, Sbach, Beast 3D, Gee Bee, CC, and others. That covers four different versions of their UM servo - standard, long-throw, FBL heli, and HD AS3X. Given the above, it is not likely to be batch-related. I think it's simply statistics. These servos have a particular failure-rate, as do all electromechanical systems. Every time HH releases a new UM, sales-volume skyrockets. We see a flurry of failed servo reports on the threads. After the mad rush, sales-volume returns to normal, and servo failure reports all but fade into the statistical noise. Read the P-51, Sukhoi, Mossie, Beast V1, Sbach, Beast 3D, and Gee Bee threads & the pattern becomes obvious. Plus - forums are noted for being inaccurate representations of reality. Only a small minority of RC'ers post in forums in the first place. Of those who do, the vast majority only post when they have a problem. Very few people show up on forums just to tell everyone how well their stuff is working. This skews the curve considerably.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; May 11, 2012 at 03:47 PM.
May 11, 2012, 04:28 PM
Joel, That makes alot of sense. I think its a mix of what Bobly said as well as what you are saying.
May 11, 2012, 04:31 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
The Styker servos are not the same. All AS3X planes use special HD servos. None of the non-AS3X planes use them.

As I have said many times in many UM threads - those of us who have been flying these UMs for 3+ years have seen this same pattern with nearly every release: Sukhoi 26m, P-51, Sukhoi XP, F4U, Mosquito, mCP X, Beast V1, Sbach, Beast 3D, Gee Bee, CC, and others. That covers four different versions of their UM servo - standard, long-throw, FBL heli, and HD AS3X. Given the above, it is not likely to be batch-related. I think it's simply statistics. These servos have a particular failure-rate, as do all electromechanical systems. Every time HH releases a new UM, sales-volume skyrockets. We see a flurry of failed servo reports on the threads. After the mad rush, sales-volume returns to normal, and servo failure reports all but fade into the statistical noise. Read the P-51, Sukhoi, Mossie, Beast V1, Sbach, Beast 3D, and Gee Bee threads & the pattern becomes obvious. Plus - forums are noted for being inaccurate representations of reality. Only a small minority of RC'ers post in forums in the first place. Of those who do, the vast majority only post when they have a problem. Very few people show up on forums just to tell everyone how well their stuff is working. This skews the curve considerably.

Joel
Well put Joel ...

Marlin
May 11, 2012, 04:32 PM
Hawk Fanatic
I got 4 more fights in today. I also picked up my floats today
May 11, 2012, 04:39 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
Got my CC today.
I downloaded and unzipped the Gary Hoorn set up onto my SD card. Installed it on my DX8 and PRESTO it is all there and works perfect.
Thanks Gary.
Here is his post.https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3#post21565436
Ron
May 11, 2012, 04:44 PM
Bruno, GOOD DOG
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob
I was dreaming ,,, .
That seems to happen a lot with you Xalkera users.
Ron
May 11, 2012, 04:53 PM
Quote:
Only a small minority of RC'ers post in forums in the first place. Of those who do, the vast majority only post when they have a problem. Very few people show up on forums just to tell everyone how well their stuff is working. This skews the curve considerably.

Joel
I really wish there were a way to know how many people out there have crashed up their planes because of these types of problems without having a prayer that it might have been a problem with equipment. We have probably on average 20-30 owners of any particular new offering on these forums compared to the hundreds or thousands of units sold. It's a shame more folks don't participate in these forums for the valuable information available here. Had I not been active in these forums I would have likely totalled my original beast and my cc instead of finding out that I had a problem with the plane in my hand. Thanks to this forum, I'm having fun flying the beast and the cc instead of trying to glue the pieces back together. Edit - add: I should admit though that the Beast has a fair amount of glue and tape, but not because of a failed component in the airplane - only a failed component operating the control sticks of the transmitter.
May 11, 2012, 06:35 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by A Rdnek
Got my CC today.
I downloaded and unzipped the Gary Hoorn set up onto my SD card. Installed it on my DX8 and PRESTO it is all there and works perfect.
Thanks Gary.
Here is his post.https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...3#post21565436
Ron
What did you open this with?

Greg
May 11, 2012, 06:44 PM
Dbl
Dbl
Quote:

Joel
I just picked up a second cub from the same store I bought the first from today and the left aileron immediately failed up. After some working on it a bit I have it working, though not smoothly. While doing that the elevator servo stuck just like my first cub.

I will disagree with you. Two cubs in one week with the same problems. I've had many of the UM's myself in the last three year's with one or two minor problems. Really...two in the same week? I might just give up on this one for the time being. I just haven't decided. I am not impressed with quality control I know that. Unfortunate considering I liked how it flew for the battery and half I used on cub #1.
May 11, 2012, 07:32 PM
Boost rules!
Quote:
Originally Posted by bobly
I really wish there were a way to know how many people out there have crashed up their planes because of these types of problems without having a prayer that it might have been a problem with equipment. We have probably on average 20-30 owners of any particular new offering on these forums compared to the hundreds or thousands of units sold. It's a shame more folks don't participate in these forums for the valuable information available here. Had I not been active in these forums I would have likely totalled my original beast and my cc instead of finding out that I had a problem with the plane in my hand. Thanks to this forum, I'm having fun flying the beast and the cc instead of trying to glue the pieces back together. Edit - add: I should admit though that the Beast has a fair amount of glue and tape, but not because of a failed component in the airplane - only a failed component operating the control sticks of the transmitter.
Bobly,

I agree. A large majority of the guys in the two clubs I'm in never check out the forums.

I have also found these forums to be extremely helpful. Even though I've been flying for close to 30 years, I learn something new on here nearly every day! Also - just look at the collective engineering power we have. We can run hundreds of experiments in parallel & share our findings in real-time. We have the ability to rapidly test, troubleshoot, and develop improvements far more rapidly than any RC company could afford to do. The coolest part is that Horizon listens to us, and incorporates the best of what's practical for mass-production into their future releases.

There are over 150,00 AMA members alone. There are far more people in the US who fly RC, but aren't AMA members. I'm not sure about the proportions of RC'ers in other countries, but I expect that the numbers are similar in many parts of the developed world. I am also surprised at how few use the forums - especially considering that we're living in the Information Age.

Learning to fly 'back in the day' was considerably more challenging (not in a good way) - especially for those of us who didn't have a local club or hobby store. That's how it was for me. No local club, and the closest hobby store that supported RC aircraft was 150 miles away. Magazine articles helped, but for the most part - you just had to figure things out on your own. It was a bit easier for me, as I already knew how to fly full-scale, I built & flew FF & CL models as a kid, and I had been working on small engines since I was in grade-school. For those who weren't familiar with the principles of flight, were not well-versed in the finer points of tuning a 2-stroke glow engine, and were not woodworkers - learning to fly RC one one's own could be a very frustrating experience. In those days, a large majority of people who tried to get into RC on their own ended up quitting out of frustration during their first season. Most people needed the support of a local club or seasoned pilot to be successful. My, how far we have come!

There has never been a better time to be in this hobby!

Joel
May 11, 2012, 07:40 PM
Going broke, dam this hobby
Just got done running two 15 min flights with these batteries 15 mins with each battery
this makes a total of 28 flights so far , these batterys are great and fit right in the cc
http://www.allerc.com/hyperion-g3-cx...on-p-5740.html

Quick Reply