Aug 16, 2012, 07:13 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
Sorry to hear about that!

The first question that comes to mind - what caused the crash?

Joel
My buddy got nervous and handed me the TX. It was about a foot and a half off the ground. I am not that good of a pilot!

The good news: I now know the expiration date of that CC!

Robin
Last edited by YelKiteFlyer; Aug 16, 2012 at 07:16 PM. Reason: Adding information.
to remove ads between posts
Aug 16, 2012, 07:56 PM
So the hobby store doesnt have any props to fit the CC- so my only choices right now are the stock prop or a GWS 5043. Which prop would be the better? BTW I'm only around 2000ft above sea level here

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker
The prop can be painted. Also - the black GWS props are readily-available from many vendors online.

Whichever route you go, be sure to balance the prop.

Joel
Last edited by fairplane; Aug 16, 2012 at 08:02 PM.
Aug 16, 2012, 07:59 PM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by YelKiteFlyer
Wing is broken, the front is crushed.

Bought a new body and wing.

I was thinking of brushing epoxy glue on the front of the body to give it a harder covering in the front. My concern is that it will change the weight and CG too much.

Any comments or ideas?

Thanks.
Let me be the smartarse here and say it....

don't crash

Seriously though I've found the CC fuse is pretty robust and it takes abuse well. The tailfeathers are a different story those are pretty fragile but not much you can do.
Someone suggested .5oz glass and polycrylic. I do that on my parkflyer sized planes but at this scale it'd still be a noticeable weight. I'm a firm believer in keeping it light and clean.

-Brian
Aug 16, 2012, 08:25 PM
Quote:
Wing is broken,
I've seen foam safe CA heal tons of UM wings. Works fine for CC because it's also got the struts for support.

Quote:
the front is crushed.
Very hot or boiling water can 'reinflate' about 90% of crushed foam. Meaning it'll come back to about 90% normal.

Quote:
Bought a new body and wing.
OK there's that too.

Quote:
I was thinking of brushing epoxy glue on the front of the body to give it a harder covering in the front. My concern is that it will change the weight and CG too much.
No matter how much you reinforce -one- thing, the -next- link in the structural food chain will fail.

Quote:
Any comments or ideas?
As has been mentioned, 'don't crash.' How about repairing the broken stuff for now, and flying it a lot till you're more comfortable, then replacing those mangled parts with the new ones?
Aug 17, 2012, 12:18 AM
Boost rules!
Quote:
My buddy got nervous and handed me the TX. It was about a foot and a half off the ground. I am not that good of a pilot!

The good news: I now know the expiration date of that CC!

Robin
That really sucks! Very few pilots are quick enough & good enough to save a plane when it's that close to the ground. My favorite adhesive for repairing these planes is UHU POR. Here's a Canadian source: http://www.microflight.com/Glue-UHU-...-Styrofoam-EPS

I agree with Brian & Jbarchuk - attempting to strengthen the nose is just going to add weight & shift the breaking point to the next-weakest spot in the fuselage.

Quote:
Originally Posted by fairplane
So the hobby store doesnt have any props to fit the CC- so my only choices right now are the stock prop or a GWS 5043. Which prop would be the better? BTW I'm only around 2000ft above sea level here
The 5043 will make the CC climb straight up, but only if you're using top-quality packs. (The 5043 overloads the stock pack & the cheapies, which dramatically reduces power, and can cause LVC to kick in early.) The 5043 will also make the plane fly too fast at normal throttle settings. You'll be flying around at the bottom end of the thrust curve most of the time - which is undesirable. Also, flight-times will be significantly shorter. I suggest that you stick with the stock prop for now & order a few 5030s online. They are readily-available from a number of vendors. If you're in the market for some Babbelbatts, just order the 5030s from RCBabbel while your at it.

Joel
Last edited by turboparker; Aug 17, 2012 at 12:34 AM.
Aug 17, 2012, 01:20 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by jbarchuk
I've seen foam safe CA heal tons of UM wings. Works fine for CC because it's also got the struts for support.

Very hot or boiling water can 'reinflate' about 90% of crushed foam. Meaning it'll come back to about 90% normal.

OK there's that too.

No matter how much you reinforce -one- thing, the -next- link in the structural food chain will fail.

As has been mentioned, 'don't crash.' How about repairing the broken stuff for now, and flying it a lot till you're more comfortable, then replacing those mangled parts with the new ones?
I bought a training cord so we will not have to pass the transmitter to each other. As for the repairs, the body seems to have let go of the motor mount. I do not trust in repair ability to get the motor with the correct down and side thrust. That is why I bought the body. The motor mount, that is attached to the foam, is installed, just take out the motor and put it in the new body. Of course every other component will have to be moved over too. It will take time.
Only the wing and the tail feathers will have to be replaced with the other CC I have. If I bring home a 3rd one my wife will have a FIT!!!
Aug 17, 2012, 08:18 AM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
If I bring home a 3rd one my wife will have a FIT!!!
Welcome to the club
Here are some common tactics we all use:
1) no honey, thats the same one.
2) Oh this one?!? I've had this for months.
3) This plane? My your hair looks great today did you get a new conditioner?
4) I still have less planes than you have shoes

I'm sure there are many more people could add in.

Good luck with the trainer cord route. It is definitely the best way to go.

-Brian
Aug 17, 2012, 08:26 AM
BMFA 190658
Quote:
Originally Posted by kalmon
Welcome to the club
Here are some common tactics we all use:
1) no honey, thats the same one.
2) Oh this one?!? I've had this for months.
3) This plane? My your hair looks great today did you get a new conditioner?
4) I still have less planes than you have shoes

-Brian
Pure class

Been using 1 & 2 for ages now, gonna try #3

Tony
Aug 17, 2012, 08:51 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilentPilot
Pure class

Been using 1 & 2 for ages now, gonna try #3

Tony
Use all of those and "it was only $39.95".
Same applies to ham radio buys!
When I am gone and she cleans out basement and garage then the truth will come out! By then I will not care!~
Tim
Aug 17, 2012, 09:30 AM
My CC's elevator servo stopped responding, sent it right into a tree. Fixed the scuffs to an extent to get it airborne again to try and replicate the incident. Happened a second time, so I'm sending it in to HH. From what I'm hearing, I should get treated well.
Aug 17, 2012, 09:52 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Imladris18
My CC's elevator servo stopped responding, sent it right into a tree. Fixed the scuffs to an extent to get it airborne again to try and replicate the incident. Happened a second time, so I'm sending it in to HH. From what I'm hearing, I should get treated well.
Ya they have great product support. I had same issue plus motor cut-out, I sent mine in and they are going to be sending me a new one as soon as they arrive in stock.
Latest blog entry: Pilot for the UMX PT-17
Aug 17, 2012, 10:41 AM
我爱飞RC
Quote:
So you've heard of the 1%ers?? You're a 4%er! Welcome to the exclusive club my friend.
Aug 17, 2012, 11:02 AM
Quote:
Originally Posted by biowheel
So you've heard of the 1%ers?? You're a 4%er! Welcome to the exclusive club my friend.
Haha, they must've sold an awful lot of Carbon Cubs!
Aug 17, 2012, 11:15 AM
Heli collector
Quote:
Haha, they must've sold an awful lot of Carbon Cubs!
There might be a lot of people like myself that bought two of them as preorders,, and as the servo problems started being reported right away.. I only put one flight on the one and the other is still in it's shipping box waiting for HH to come up with a REAL fix before I fly and wreck them. So I'm counted as 2 with no reported problems.

But I'm sure by now the warranty time has expired so I'll keep waiting and waiting.. I'll just keep flying the Champs for now, as it's still the best bang for the buck micro plane out there...

Having learned my lesson I haven't bought anything more from HH.. I even canceled the preorders for the Mig and 130X just before they started shipping them.

Then there is the new in the box Hyper Taxi among others that have yet to see the light of day..

I really need to go out and total a few planes to get some storage room in here..
Aug 17, 2012, 11:22 AM
Parkzone junkie
Quote:
Originally Posted by livonia bob
There might be a lot of people like myself that bought two of them as preorders,, and as the servo problems started being reported right away.. I only put one flight on the one and the other is still in it's shipping box waiting for HH to come up with a REAL fix before I fly and wreck them. So I'm counted as 2 with no reported problems.

But I'm sure by now the warranty time has expired so I'll keep waiting and waiting.. I'll just keep flying the Champs for now, as it's still the best bang for the buck micro plane out there...

Having learned my lesson I haven't bought anything more from HH.. I even canceled the preorders for the Mig and 130X just before they started shipping them.

Then there is the new in the box Hyper Taxi among others that have yet to see the light of day..

I really need to go out and total a few planes to get some storage room in here..

Thats unfortunate as the Mig flies great and has have very few reported problems. now the 130x has had growing pains I hear.... As to the CCs I'd fly them. It is a great plane. I've had no problems with mine and it is just so relaxing to take a nice evening flight cub style.

-Brian

Quick Reply