Jan 31, 2012, 09:54 AM
Thread OP
Discussion

Gap seals on Stobel V2?

So, we had a nice cold dead air day last friday and I decided to play with gap seals on my V2. I was flying last week and noticed how loud the V2 is compared to my stieg. (whooshing sound indicating a lot of drag) So, I made some gap seals and went out to throw. Wow!!! it was so quiet and launched on average 20 ft. higher! seemed to act like it was nose heavy so I pushed the cg farther back and what a difference. I don't know if the reduced drag is causing the center of pressure to move aft? but it seemed so much better. Has anyone else played around with gap seals on planes that didn't come with or wern't intended to use them. I know Tom doesn't use them on the Fr3ak. (his gaps are like turbulators from what I understand)

Brandon
to remove ads between posts
Jan 31, 2012, 11:07 AM
Afflicted with DDD
Brandon
How about some pix of your installation? What materials did you use?
Bob
Jan 31, 2012, 11:20 AM
Just fly...
I've had the gap seals on my Stobel 2 and 3's since day one... well, maybe day two.
Noticeable difference? Yep!

Jun
Jan 31, 2012, 11:28 AM
hot air rises...
Yes Jun, I meant to talk to you about that down at JEM. What kind of tape did you use?
Jan 31, 2012, 11:29 AM
Mike M.
I sealed the gaps on my V2 with thin cut strips of clear packing tape (or just clear Scotch tape) overlapped sticky to sticky, thus producing a single strip about 1/2" wide where the bottom surface of tape is sticky for 1/4" and not sticky on the remaining 1/4", and top surface not sticky at all. Seals great and is completely invisible. Others use cassette tape to cover half the sticky side of clear tape to achieve the same effect. Stick this down just ahead of the gap so the non-sticky portion overlaps the gap. I did notice a decrease in noise and a slight increase in launch height, although not 20'. I do think it's worth doing. Just make sure you keep an eye on the tape because if it starts to peel up over time then it can act as a lift spoiler.
Jan 31, 2012, 11:33 AM
Kyle Clayton
I just did gap seals on my latest Helios. You can see the finished product here: https://static.rcgroups.net/forums/a...%233%20785.jpg I use clear gloss cheap tape and it took about 10 minutes to do, start to finish. I can take pictures of my process and show a step by step tonight if anyone is interested.
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Jan 31, 2012, 11:34 AM
hot air rises...
Seems like scotch tape would be too flimsy and might flutter but if it worked for you it should work for me too.
Jan 31, 2012, 11:39 AM
Thread OP
I just use cassette tape and clear half inch scotch tape. It laid perfectly flat and made the wing look a little nicer! I know some guys use just scotch tape. Pull full flaps when putting it on and then blow baby powder on the exposed addhesive. It works but doesn't look as good.

B
Last edited by 1900 Driver; Jan 31, 2012 at 11:44 AM.
Jan 31, 2012, 11:40 AM
Kyle Clayton
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch
Seems like scotch tape would be too flimsy and might flutter but if it worked for you it should work for me too.
It would only flutter in the breeze if the seal overlapping the hinge gap was excessively wide and made from a really thin material, like tissue paper or sommething Even then I think you would have to have a super-human 150mph throw to make them bzzzz. My total strip is only 10mm wide
Latest blog entry: Helios and XXLite DLG
Jan 31, 2012, 11:48 AM
Just fly...
The seals on my planes are actually way overdue for a refresh.
The tape I use is a half inch, very thin, chrome finish, trimming tape that Geoff Jones gave me a few years back. I use it for leading edge flashy tape primarily. I actually owe Geoff for these and I cannot find them anywhere. I'll give more details of the tape when I get home tonight.
The way I sealed my hinges by applying some talcum or microballoons on half of the tape and leaving the other half sticky of course. I then taped it ON the aileron and tucked the non sticky inside the hinge. Works well but you have to keep an eye on it all the time-- especially when it's windy as it can untuck... It's happened a few times at big contests here and even at the Worlds.... Spoiler? Definitely!
I think I'll just do the overlapping instead of the tucking way next time. It's easier and has the same benefit, I think.

Jun
Jan 31, 2012, 11:48 AM
Mike M.
Quote:
Originally Posted by jfinch
One reason why I prefer using the heavier clear packing tape. It's quite stiff. Much more so than Scotch. I just use a yardstick and razor blade to cut it into long thin strips.
Jan 31, 2012, 12:15 PM
hot air rises...
The reason I thought scotch tape might be too thin is I have a buddy with a Flow (wing comes with hinges taped sticky side to wing and non-sticky side tucked into the aileron) and he over extended his flaps once which resulted in the tape coming out of the aileron side and just laying flat across the wing. The wing fluttered like crazy when this happened (actually not the wing but the tape). Once we tucked the tape back into the gap and under the aileron it was fine.

I've always taped my pylon racers similar to how Jun's done on his (sticky on moving surface and the other end tucked into the wing/stab). I use a thicker cream colored polypropylene tape (the kind you often see taping things together on new appliances such as fridges, washing machines, etc). It never flutters but it would be pretty ugly on the top surface of Stobel wing .
Jan 31, 2012, 12:44 PM
Limbo with 30,000V...
I haven't had a lot of success making my own gap seal tape, I'll give it a shot again once the new duck tape that Mike ordered comes in.
Jan 31, 2012, 10:24 PM
excelling at mediocrity
I did it to my Taboos with RDS last year. Wings and tail feathers. They launched higher, penetrated better and they were quieter. I think it's definitely worth doing.

John
Jan 31, 2012, 10:45 PM
Where is the lift?
If nothing else, I felt better about the flaperon gaps after sealing them... I cannot say if it made much of a difference or not.

Charlie

Quick Reply