Oct 10, 2003, 02:18 PM
Thread OP

Rush comes clean on the air

Moments ago, Rush Limbaugh admitted to being addicted to prescription painkillers. He has stated that he will be checking in to a treatment facility after today's show.

I feel sorry for the guy. But he is a big man to admit to it.

May the vultures that certainly will rejoice in your plight not gather too quickly, Rush.

Rick
Oct 10, 2003, 02:34 PM
Human Like You
I used to listen to Rush, when time and occupation allowed and occassionally I think he would make a good point. I can't say I really agree with him on most issues or the policy that should accompany them.

Regardless, I wouldn't wish the hell of addiction on anyone and hope he makes a quick and full recovery. So that he can go back to blaming people who hold my sort of philosophical and political thoughts for every ill that has ever troubled humanity.

I think there's a point where we are all just people with the same wants and needs, troubles and joys, regardless of our national, ethnic, political and other differences.

Gotta wonder if this will color his (and other conservative's) opinions on national drug policy, especially the availability of treatment and counseling?
Oct 10, 2003, 02:59 PM
It would be interesting to know what Rush's position was historically on drug addiction. At least he, unlike a politican who shall go unnamed, admitted to his failing, didn't hide it to "protect his family" or file lawsuit after lawsuit to delay the enviable.

I wonder if they'll let him do his radio show from Club Fed? He should be really glad Janet Reno isn't still AG.
Oct 10, 2003, 03:21 PM
I'm glad that Rush came out an admitted his problem, and one has to respect him for taking the hard and embarrassing way out instead of trying to cover up. I hope that he can kick the addiction, and maybe the whole experience will give him a little more perspective on things...
Oct 10, 2003, 03:31 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
I wonder if they'll let him do his radio show from Club Fed?
Ummm...if this means what I think it does, you should have listened to the show to get the facts straight from the "MahaRushi"'s own mouth...

Rush admitted to being addicted to prescription painkillers. That is all. Last time I checked, that was not a crime, in and of itself.

He did not admit, nor refute any involvement in the other allegations made against him, for which a trip to "Club Fed" would be a possible result.

It remains to be seen, whether anything will come from those allegations. Even outspoken, opinionated Conservatives deserve the presumption of innocence before the law, no?

Rick
Last edited by ElectRick; Oct 10, 2003 at 07:46 PM.
Oct 10, 2003, 03:33 PM
LcJ
LcJ
Forever TMWT Pilot #11
I also am hoping that Rush Rides Again. The hardest part, admitting publicly that he has a problem, is past. The shame, the remorse will have to be dealt with, and I hope all those that believe in prayer will lift Rush up to help him overcome his personal demon.

For healing to happen, what Rush did, had to be done. If there isn't a known problem there isn't a cure. He has confessed, now he must struggle daily, probably for the rest of his life to turn away from the easy way out. We need to pray for him to take those right steps everyday.

On the positive side, the chains have been broken, in that it is no longer a secret burden that he must carry.

He has done more than most for the good of this county.

LcJ
Oct 10, 2003, 03:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
He should be really glad Janet Reno isn't still AG.
I'm sure that most every clear-thinking American is glad of this.

Rick
Oct 10, 2003, 03:54 PM
Quote:
Originally posted by ElectRick
I'm sure that most every clear-thinking American is glad of this.

Rick
Janet Reno was awful but somehow John Ashcroft has managed to be worse...
Oct 10, 2003, 04:06 PM
Thread OP
I would have to partially agree in this particular case. That Patriot Act stuff (big parts of it, anyway) has got to go.

Rick
Oct 10, 2003, 04:35 PM
As honest as he says he is he waited till he "got caught" before doing so and coming clean?
Still spinning.........

Jim
Oct 10, 2003, 05:02 PM
Go get them Meg!
Even Rush should be allowed to not air his dirty linens. If I had a problem of the same ilk, I sure wouldn't tell the world until I had to.

It's not doshonesty yet, it's privacy.
Oct 10, 2003, 05:31 PM
Motors beat engines!
"Janet Reno was awful but somehow John Ashcroft has managed to be worse..."

Waco and ruby ridge were her babies, and sorry for disagreeing, but those episodes were far worse than anything ashcrofts done.
Oct 10, 2003, 05:54 PM
About 600 members of Congress voted for the Patriot Act that seems to have every liberal in such a tizzy. Are they primarily to blame or the policemen who enforce the law they pass? Seems to me that some are blaming the messenger rather than the author.
Oct 10, 2003, 06:09 PM
Why is he a big man for admitting to less than what is recorded when she was wired. Had he admitted it two months ago, I would say yes. The fact that he ridiculed Kitty Dukakis for the same thing does not bode well. Rush has been a proponent of locking and throwing away the key for just about every transgression. I say, either throw him in prison for the maximum, or, face the fact that drug addiction, in the absence of driving, is a social problem. Our prisons are bursting at the seams with people that did nothing more. Also, the drugs he took are far more dangerous than pot, booze, cocaine or opium in less than lethal doses. As evidenced by his loss of hearing. If she hadnt already rolled over for the cops, I could see Rush saving his hide by doing likewise. Its lucky for him that the rest of us dont subcribe to his philosophies or he'd be in stocks in the public square for stoning, and not the good kind.
Oct 10, 2003, 06:28 PM
Suspended Account
Yeah, Gman-but when did he 'ridicule' Kitty Dukakis? Nobody plans to become a drug addict. Nobody plans to take so much dope that they lose their hearing. Was rush a dope head when he said what he did?

Gman, I think you're being a little tough on the guy. You want him to air his problem to the world so we can save him or whatever. While I do see him in the position of social responsibility that requires him to be morally solvent, the man WAS trying to fix the problem on his own. Obviously the fact that he checked himself in for rehab twice doesn't mean much to you?

Dave

Quick Reply