Oct 10, 2003, 11:16 AM

Wasp maX first flight

After building the Wasp, I decided to build a Wasp maX. It uses a Gws 350-C. The main fus is covered by solite as the rest. I painted the bottom fus plate then glued it on.

9.3 oz w/o bat but includes 2" Max wheels for the grass and Gws 11X8 prop. I started out with a 10X8 but dorked it in the grass. I would be better than the larger prop. With E-tec 2-1200 AUW is 10.9 oz and 11.9 oz with a 3-1200 e-tec bat.

I used carbon rods for the Ele. and Rud. Put 1/32 wire wrapped with string and CA on the control horn end. Drilled out the DB fitting for the Carbon rod on the servo. I did this on the Small wasp also and it works fine with no braces.
to remove ads between posts
Oct 10, 2003, 11:19 AM
Another
Oct 10, 2003, 11:21 AM
Side View
Oct 10, 2003, 11:24 AM
Aft View
Oct 10, 2003, 11:27 AM
Ready to fly!
Oct 10, 2003, 10:17 PM
Closer View
Oct 10, 2003, 10:24 PM
Last one! Any ideas on how to make it better, please give your input.
Oct 11, 2003, 02:06 PM
Very nice build Flyboy. I particularly like your subtle mod's to the tail feathers. Is that your maximum defection on your ailerons? What kind of performance are you getting with the 350/2x1200 lipoly combination? The upgrade I would suggest is of course going brushlesss. I'm really loving them for there weight, power and efficiency.

David
Oct 12, 2003, 07:58 PM
Thanks David,

No one else mentioned that I made the tail group match your wing tip design. It was easy and I just liked the look better.

The 350-C 10X8 now isn't bad LP 2-1200 flies somewhat scale but OK. I put in a LP 3-1200 e-tec and it flies almost like a brushless. I can cruise nice level at 1/2 power and only go burst for wild stuff. Motor didn't seem too warm and I have Gws heat sinks on the way.

I guess the problem is, after you go brushless everything else sucks!! I have a R300, R400 and Mini AC so must be spoiled with all the brute power. The R300-C 25A CC is open at the moment so may put it on and Rock and Roll.

The Aileron throw is very high, in fact think I should move it down as in some turns I got an acelerated stall I think. Once I lost it and came to the ground hard and broke the Gws motor mount. Nothing else was damaged. David makes a some what heavy structrue, but it is strong as nails. I don't " knock on wood" don't crash ever. I have some stall and hard landings or dumped in my Swithback R300 on a low approach and a roll with high on the dual rate, Exp Off. I lost it and rolled one way then rolled the other way and couldn't find null. I pulled the power off and took my lumps right in front of me. The SB wasen't as strong as Davids design, so it broke the fuse in front of the wing. I used this event to put in the version 2 landing gear in the SB. I put the Mini AC back in it and with the heavy gear it goes all out with TP2100 or E-tec 1200.

I posted my experience with Dave's smaller Wasp also. I will add a story to that post and it says alot to Dave's strong structures also. I still haven't the best power comb for that plane yet. I have some motors on order to try out. Will post that to the Wasp thread ASAP.

I have David's Axon and it will be my next build or 2nd.
Oct 12, 2003, 10:06 PM
Fly 'til last piece stops

Nice Photos

Flyboy, thanks for sharing the photos of your Wasp - it really looks nice. I can hardly wait to start mine. I wish it had lighter wing loading, I'm really having a hard time trying to decide whether or not to include a functioning rudder as well. Again, not so much for aerobatics, but more for directional control during landing. I am so used to making adjustments on final with rudder inputs that it is almost difficult for me to land on an aileron-elevator only airplane. Additionally, I don't know about you, but I love to shoot touch-n-go's - I could do them all day. I will also modify my tail group to look more like yours with the rounded look rather than squared off with or without rudder.

As for Li-Poly batteries and brushless motors, I'd better not even try one or I'd have to sell off a car to finance re-fitting all of my electric planes!

Let us know where the post of your other Wasp is located.

d_trafalgar - are you the designer of the Wasp? Too cool!! If I run into questions, I'll know who to contact!

Thanks!

Shaun
Oct 13, 2003, 09:27 PM
For those following the Wasp maX

Today I replaced the Gws mount and and I was good to go. First I wanted to take out some of the aileron throw. With this done I replaced the Gws 10X8 broken when I dorked it in yesterday with a Apc 10X7.

Test flight today with 2-1200 et went well and much more thrust with the APC, I estimate. Running the 3-1200 et didn't seen to damage the Gws 350 motor as it ran fine at 5A. I also mixed in some rudder with aileron, 30%.

Flying went nice and ROG's went well. The turns seemed groover wiht the added rudder. Recovery from spins: this was better but still must be slow on recovery or once I got the opposite rotation like a accelerated stall. This is how I pulled back the power and dorked it in Sat. I now know to recover somewhat slowely after a spin with this airplane or lessen the aileron throw some more. I think it is part or the high wing loading. It still lands like a fullsize Cessna 310 I flew many years ago. No floating down the runway like I did today with the Tantrum. For me I must keep some power on for landing.

PS CAUTION I think I flew it somewhat out of range today while testing. It has a Gws 4p SC with regular antanna length. It was flying nice and fast and before long I got a little far down range and the inputs got strange when I went for the turn to get back. It was up kind or high so it bacame a fight to get control. When I started a fast walking pace toward it I got control back. Before I got positive control back it looked like I was doing 3D. It even looked like I touched some of a 90 ft pine tree while trying to get control. When the plane came back it flew perfect and no damage at all. I always wondered how you know when you are loosing range, now I think I know. Beware of fast planes and single conversion Rx's.