Jan 30, 2012, 12:23 AM
Build Log

Build: Birdofplay 46" Flyguy

Flyguy 46 Version 2 is at the following link. I recommend the updated design.
https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1837517

Adizero Flying Golfers at Torrey Pines (5 min 10 sec)

History: Flyguy came to being after a visit to my local hobby shop where one of the workers showed me a 30 second clip of an RC flying man. I decided I wanted to design and build a flying person while keeping it inexpensive, simple to build and easy to fly. The design has 11 Depron parts and on the larger versions some plywood bracing and 4 carbon fiber stiffeners. Flyguy can easily be built in less than 10 hours and I have built one in as little as 5 hours, with precut parts.

This Build Log is a “how to” step by step process of building the 46” Flyguy using the Birdofplay 6mm Depron cutouts available from Northwest Cutout Service. His website is balsabuddies.com. The plans are also available on the Flyguy discussion thread and are posted here. This build is a first trial of the cutouts. Modifications I mention in the build log should be incorporated in the actual cutouts and plans. With the tabs/slots, it is easy to trial fit every step and is recommended.

I will be using only hobby store available parts to complete Flyguy. Recommended power is 125 to 200w. 125w provides good, advanced trainer performance, while 200w provides unlimited vertical capability. I will be using a 200w Parkzone motor, but with a cutdown prop, so actual power is around 150w. If you follow this process, you will have a durable Flyguy that will fly well.

Flyguy Discussion Thread:

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show....php?t=1505753

Happy flying.

Build: 46 inch Flyguy from balsabuddies.com by Otto Dieffenbach (1 min 6 sec)

Flyguy Flash Mob in HD (may take some time to load but worth a look).

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=Bfhp01NWQeM

Step 1

Flyguy is not a slow-fly plane like most Depron foamies; he is more like a balsa shoulder wing trainer. Make sure you do not reduce the prop pitch for slow-fly; he needs to move through the air for effective control.

What you will need. Feel free to substitute with equivalent:

Electronics (an old plane is a good source for parts)

A Transmitter that can mix Elevator and Ailerons, Pitch and Roll, for elevons (most have this feature)
Parkzone F4u or T-28 900kv motor and standard Parkzone prop (9.5 x 7.5)
30 amp ESC
3s 2200 mah 20c battery (Turnigy is $10)
2- Parkzone metal gear digital servos, DSV130M
Clone Spectrum Parkflyer receiver
Two 10 cm servo extension pigtail for ESC connection

Airframe

balsabuddies.com 46” Flyguy or hand cut one from plans
Parkzone Bf-109 flap hardware set, PKZ4921
4- Small Dubro hinges (comes in pack of 6)
1/8” carbon fiber tube, 40” long (need 13 inches)
Music wire 1mm
2- Small diameter coffee/cocktail stir straws
Gorilla Glue
Foam Safe CA with accelerator
5 minute epoxy
2 zip ties
Foam mounting tape

Tools

Sharp knife
Razor saw
Sanding block with 150 grit paper
Flat table/work bench
Small Philips head screwdriver
Pliers and wire cutters
T-pins or equivalent
File (to bevel identified slots)

Finishing (optional)

4 sheets of glossy inkjet photo paper (digital camera, printer, computer, PowerPoint)
Rust-oleum spray paint, large cans $3.77 (many colors, Home Depot)

Here are a full sized PDF set of plans, not a tiled version. Tiling can be accomplished with either Adobe X or Bill Segraves' ScaleAndTile3 software. The 46 inch is covered in this Build Log. The 62 inch is covered in the Flyguy62 Build Log. The 31 inch has a Build Log with plans and flys great. I have built two 62", two 46", a 39", a 38", a 31" and a 22". The flight characteristics are all similar; advanced trainers.

PDF file to be added, once updated.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Feb 22, 2013 at 12:13 PM. Reason: Finished build log
to remove ads between posts
Jan 30, 2012, 12:27 AM

Step 2

The balsabudies package comes as a double pizza box. 4 sheets of Depron, well packed.
Jan 30, 2012, 12:30 AM

Step 3

Take a sharp knife and separate the parts from the sheets. Save the sheets for scrap. Lightly sand the edges in preparation for assembly. Join the top plate halves with Foam Safe CA.
Jan 30, 2012, 12:34 AM

Step 4

Widen the head slot in the top plate to 6mm. Widen the head slot to 6mm. Test fit the pieces together.
Jan 30, 2012, 12:45 AM

Step 5

First I marked the location of the 1/8 inch diameter carbon tube lateral motor support. I located it over the first Depron tab. The support should span side to side and replace the front of the first tab. I lay the motor on the Depron with the plywood motor mount against the lateral support location and locate where the prop slot and motor cutout will be. I then make appropriate cuts and glue the Depron with CA and support in place with epoxy.
Jan 30, 2012, 12:50 AM

Step 6

Bevel the slots that match the inner center body plate. Insure you make a right and left side. Test fit everything together. Mark at the base of the neck where the neck meets the lateral support carbon tube.
Jan 30, 2012, 12:55 AM

Step 7

On the lower head piece, locate where the vertical motor support will go. It should start at the lateral support mark and tilt forward (toward the front of the head) at 4 degrees to the top of the lower head piece. Cut on the line and epoxy a 1/8" carbon tube in between the two pieces created by the cut.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 30, 2012 at 09:26 AM. Reason: spelling
Jan 30, 2012, 12:59 AM

Step 8

The prop slot location requires the front of the breast plate to be trimmed. Additional trimming will be required after motor installation.
Jan 30, 2012, 01:02 AM

Step 9

Glue the two sides, the breast plate and center body together. Use T pins to hold in place. I used Gorilla Glue (no water). Insure the structure is symmetric, both sides angled the same. Let dry.
Jan 30, 2012, 01:07 AM

Step 10

Draw the outline of the battery on the head. Make it so it will be snug. If the head top is not long enough, cut a longer one from scrap. Trial fit head, top plate and body together. Using Gorilla Glue, glue the lower head to the top plate. Use a 90 degree angle to position until dry.
Jan 30, 2012, 01:09 AM

Step 11

Trim the excess Gorilla Glue with a razor saw. Trim the tabs flush to the sides and lightly sand with a 150 grit sanding block.
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Jan 30, 2012 at 01:14 AM. Reason: Pic
Jan 30, 2012, 01:12 AM

Step 12

Cut the tabs on the outer center body parts to 1/8 inch long. Trial fit into the sides. The slots for these pieces are NOT beveled. These pieces will be glued into the sides at 90 degrees.
Jan 30, 2012, 01:19 AM

Step 13

I use the small Dubro pinned hinges. I attach the hinges to the surface of the Depron sheet using Foam Safe CA, with accelerator. I first install one side of the hinge on the top of the elevons/feet. I put a small drop on the Depron, lay the hinge on the surface and then touch the hinge edge with the accelerator. After initial set, keep flexing the hinge to insure free movement. Now apply CA to the top of the hinge at the holes to really secure the hinge. CA doesn’t get to maximum strength for about an hour and this takes a few tries to master.

Glue the hinges to the outer center body parts using CA with accelerator. Leave a ¼ inch gap between the side and the elevon. Trim the outer edge of the elevon to match the outer center body. As the glue sets, continue to flex the hinges.

Tip: To apply the accelerator, unscrew the spray nozzle from the accelerator and use the tip of the draw hose like a brush. I made a wood base for my accelerator bottle because you will knock it over.
Jan 30, 2012, 01:23 AM

Step 14

Cut 2 corners from the Depron scraps to make two 90 degree supports. Gorilla Glue the outer center body parts in place. Pin in location. Pin the 90 degree support temporarily in place, until the glue dries.
Jan 30, 2012, 01:29 AM

Step 15

Glue top of head in place. Glue the top/arm plate and neck assembly to the body. Glue the upper shoulder parts inline with body sides.