Thread Tools
Jan 27, 2012, 08:52 PM
Registered User
Poll

which battery/quad/charger connectors are best?


Greetings all! I'm brand new to this site and almost just as new to RC flying. I bought a Gaui 500X-S and have built it up. I don't like having the bare banana/bullet plugs exposed due to potential grounding out/shorting issues. Anyone have a particular preference for connecting their batteries to their quads and chargers?
I've seen a bunch of different style connectors from Dean's, JST, E-Flite, etc. I like the look of the E-flite's EC3 connectors and was wondering if anyone is using them and can let me know if the male and female connectors can be soldered before putting into the connector body.
Any other info on this matter would be appreciated. Not sure if the battery make matters, but I'm using a Hyperion 4S and a Hyperion charger.

Thanks!
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jan 28, 2012, 07:31 AM
Awaiting software update..
Ironframe's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter619
Greetings all! I'm brand new to this site and almost just as new to RC flying. I bought a Gaui 500X-S and have built it up. I don't like having the bare banana/bullet plugs exposed due to potential grounding out/shorting issues. Anyone have a particular preference for connecting their batteries to their quads and chargers?
I've seen a bunch of different style connectors from Dean's, JST, E-Flite, etc. I like the look of the E-flite's EC3 connectors and was wondering if anyone is using them and can let me know if the male and female connectors can be soldered before putting into the connector body.
Any other info on this matter would be appreciated. Not sure if the battery make matters, but I'm using a Hyperion 4S and a Hyperion charger.

Thanks!

You use heat-shrink tubing to protect the exposed bullet-connector metalwork. Colour co-ordinate for polarity if you wish, makes it easier to keep everything right.

CPF
Jan 28, 2012, 03:33 PM
Registered User
drcigg's Avatar
Deans or XT60 connectors are the most popular ones and yes make sure you use shrink tube over the connectors you solder
Jan 31, 2012, 12:02 AM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ironframe

You use heat-shrink tubing to protect the exposed bullet-connector metalwork. Colour co-ordinate for polarity if you wish, makes it easier to keep everything right.

CPF
The problem is, in order to charge the battery, I have to disconnect it from the quad. And Gaui just uses bullet connectors and no other style of plastic/rubber shrouded connector. So I've got the battery leads flopping around with bullet connectors on. I realize there is a better way to do business. So that's why I was looking for input on aftermarket connectors. What I wasn't sure of was if the EC3's or other style connectors had to be soldered with their contacts still in. In those cases, it takes a finite amount of heat for very short duration in order to not melt the connector body. That's why I like soldering the contacts first, then inserting into a connector body. I've gone and ordered EC3's, so in a few days, I'll know what I'm dealing with.

Thanks!
Scooter
Jan 31, 2012, 11:50 AM
Registered User
drcigg's Avatar
A good tip when soldering on deans or XT60 is to connect both the male and female ends together which helps keep the connector from melting. I have seen some people put a damp cloth on top of the connector too. I haven't melted a connector yet as a matter a fact I soldered on 10 XT60 connectors yesterday with no melting.
Jan 31, 2012, 12:23 PM
let's brm together!
I'm using EC4 and have some EC5 in my toolbox, you solder the connector and then insert it into the plastic. It's almost impossible to remove after that (and almost impossible to put in if solder escapes from the hole on the side of the bullet ;-))
Jan 31, 2012, 02:02 PM
Registered User
Thanks for the info on the EC4's. I ordered some 13AWG EC3's and some male/female EC5's. I'm hoping the physical connection is interchangeable between the EC stuff. So if I have some older devices using EC3's, they can still be plugged into other versions such as the EC4's or EC5's. I'll find out soon enough.

Cheers!
Feb 01, 2012, 11:20 AM
let's brm together!
huh? EC3 = 3mm bullets, EC4 = 4mm... you can't connect them together.
Feb 06, 2012, 10:52 PM
Registered User
Quote:
Originally Posted by zviratko
huh? EC3 = 3mm bullets, EC4 = 4mm... you can't connect them together.
I didn't know that when I bought them. I found out when I received them and the EC5's are WAY bigger than the 3's. I probably needed EC4's to solder onto the battery leads, as the gauge of wire is a bit too thick for the EC3's. But I made it work. It would've been nice to know about the AWG limit for each connector style before I purchased them, but the site didn't say anything about it. So what do we do when we are connecting different thickness wires together?
Feb 06, 2012, 10:57 PM
Registered User
MIRV's Avatar
Use the smallest size which will fit the largest wire, then add an extra drop of solder in the cup of the smaller one when soldering it. I like the ec3s.
Feb 07, 2012, 12:29 AM
Registered User
Dazzed DJ's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scooter619
The problem is, in order to charge the battery, I have to disconnect it from the quad. And Gaui just uses bullet connectors and no other style of plastic/rubber shrouded connector. So I've got the battery leads flopping around with bullet connectors on. I realize there is a better way to do business. So that's why I was looking for input on aftermarket connectors. What I wasn't sure of was if the EC3's or other style connectors had to be soldered with their contacts still in. In those cases, it takes a finite amount of heat for very short duration in order to not melt the connector body. That's why I like soldering the contacts first, then inserting into a connector body. I've gone and ordered EC3's, so in a few days, I'll know what I'm dealing with.

Thanks!
Scooter
Scooter could be just how I am reading your post, and I am sure you are doing this but make sure you are removing the battery from the Gaui entirely to charge it, the lipo battery can and do catch on fire if charged incorrectly.

I personally like the deans connector and is easy to solder.


---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=-24.868870,152.335327


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Which are the " best " Fatshark Googles ? OzparkPilot FPV Equipment 18 Aug 19, 2013 02:44 PM
Discussion Spectrum DX6i Transmitter - Which Receivers are Best? itsme2 Radios 3 Oct 10, 2011 09:46 AM
Question What are PZ battery connectors called? boredom.is.me Scratchbuilt Indoor and Micro Models 2 Sep 27, 2011 01:57 PM
Discussion What are your favorite battery connectors and why? lacofdfireman Batteries and Chargers 13 Jun 29, 2011 08:32 AM
Discussion which connectors for battery, charger? berettafan Beginner Training Area (Aircraft-Electric) 5 Jul 31, 2006 11:00 AM