Pitcairn PA36 Parkflyer - RC Groups
Jan 27, 2012, 03:35 PM
Help!

Pitcairn PA36 Parkflyer

Hi,
my scratchbuilt Pitcairn PA36 Parkflyer is flying quite O.K. but it still has some problems with left turns.
Difficult to describe, but it does not like left turns. It allways seems to "fall" into the left turns. But it seems difficult to fly left without rather steep bank angles.
Rotor is turning clockwise, diameter is about 65cm. Weight is approx 200g.
Maybe a video explains better although still difficult to see.
Any ideas?
Wernersen
Pitcairn PA36 Parkflyer (4 min 52 sec)
to remove ads between posts
Jan 27, 2012, 03:45 PM
Good to see you on your own thread I'm sure the experienced guys will be able to diagnose any problems you may have
That is a very tight flying site but you handle it very well
I will need to find out how you made the mold for the vac formed body as I'm going to do the same with my Pegasus
Great to see it fly and get a good idea of its size
Awe the best Joe
Jan 27, 2012, 04:14 PM
Hi Joe, thanks
The side and top view of the mold is cut from styrofoam with a foamcuter. Then I cut and sanded the edges to shape free handed. After splitting the mold lenghtwise, the halfs are placed on a vacuum box. Everything rather quick and dirty, the results are better that expected but far from perfect and donīt hold for a closer view.
Wernersen
Jan 27, 2012, 04:26 PM
Werner
Did the foam take the heat from the plastic?
I have been advised to make a wooden plug and finish it with epoxy
But I may try your method with the foam first
My little Wing 5 handles much the same as your model but my blades rotate anticlockwise and gives me the opposite reaction from yours
Joe
Jan 27, 2012, 10:35 PM
G'Day Werner
I think that it is a blade direction thing.I believe that you will find that models with clockwise turning blades,turn better to the right. All my models have C/clockwise turning blades and so they all turn better to the left. That is a fine model you have there and you handle it very well. Watch out for those trees ,they will reach out and grab you model. Have you flow autogyros before.?
Happy Landings
Chris...
Jan 28, 2012, 11:28 AM
Hi Joe,
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jockadopolus
Werner
Did the foam take the heat from the plastic?
I have been advised to make a wooden plug and finish it with epoxy
But I may try your method with the foam first
My little Wing 5 handles much the same as your model but my blades rotate anticlockwise and gives me the opposite reaction from yours
Joe
Half of the styrofoam mold is placed on the vacuum box with spacers above some holes. The depron is fixed to frame. The frame with depron is heated for approx. 1-3min. 40 cm above two infrared heaters (600W each formerly used to keep babys warm). Vacuum is on, then frame is taken from heat and pressed over the mold down to the vacuum box. This does work but not very exact. I was very!! lucky to get two rather useable halfs out of four tries.
The depron does never transfer so much heat to the foam plug as to melt it. the foam plug is just not dent resistant so you hve to handle it with care.
I am planing to try to improve my technique and do some more body halfes.

Werner
Jan 28, 2012, 11:37 AM
Hi,
so it sounds like prefering one side is typical for autogyros. I had a few flights on a scratchbuilt autogyro about 7 years ago, it was flying fine, still didnīt have a long live.
However, I am getting used to this modell.
PA36 loop.wmv (3 min 15 sec)

P.S. no damage besides broken blades.
Werner
Last edited by wernersen; Jan 28, 2012 at 11:57 AM.
Jan 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
Werner
Many thanks for the information
I am going to use clear plastic like used in rc car bodies for my model I think that's why Iv been advised to make a wooden plug
Had a flight today and my models show similar flying characteristic as your model only opposite direction must be the head rotation I use rudder to turn and opposite ailerons to keep the model stable
Joe
Edit
Nice loops and flying but the end ouch hope you will fix it and get it in the air again
Last edited by Jockadopolus; Jan 28, 2012 at 12:11 PM.
Jan 28, 2012, 12:36 PM
Joe,
I am doing similar, initiate turn with rudder and ailerons, then stabilise with opposite ailerons.
Model is allready fixed, should be O.K. next flight will show.

Werner
Feb 05, 2012, 10:24 AM
Did a test flight with a piezo gyro installed for the roll axis.
PA36 mit Gyro klein.wmv (3 min 5 sec)

seems to have more docile flying characterisitc now.
Feb 05, 2012, 11:18 AM
Werner
Good to see it back in the air looks very smooth with the gyro is it a std heli gyro or one for fixed wing?
I would love to see the construction under the fuselage
The foam plug you made what kind of foam did you use?
I see you have some snow normally we get it bad but so far it has went south
Joe
Feb 05, 2012, 01:50 PM
Joe
it is a Graupner Piezo NT-312-G gyro I borrowed from a good friend. It can be used for heli yaw or fixed wing roll or elevator.
Construction under the fuselage is a simple silhoutte made from depron.
Foam for the plugs is light blue dens extruded polystyrol (styrofoam Dow).

Snow would be O.K. for flying, but -10°C is a real challenge for the fingers
Luckily my flying site is just a few steps from my house.

Werner
Feb 05, 2012, 02:20 PM
Nice flying Werner and I like the airframe thanks for showing it
I have used gyros on Autogyros it makes teaching a lot easier
Great that is the same foam I'm trying to get for my plug
Yes the cold is the killer I went to the flying field today but the wind was very cold so I just went back home to a nice warm workshop
Joe
Feb 05, 2012, 07:15 PM
G'day Werner
'' More Docile'' ? Do you think that It could be flown hands ''off '' in a more open area with the Gyro fitted.
Chris......
Feb 06, 2012, 01:22 PM
Chris,
funny youīre asking. In the beginning I didnīt see much difference, but then I realised I could fly shorter periods without input, which felt much different. So, yes I think you could fly hands "off".
But please keep in mind, what you see in the video is all experience I have with the gyro installed. And without I had no more than about 5 battery charges off flying experience with this modell. So wouldnīt bet on the conclusions obtained.
Unfortunatelly winter doesnīt permit much flying, -20°C this morning.
Werner

P.S.: the habit of falling into left turns is still there(s. 1min37s, 2'19''), but it is easier to manage now, either the gyro or i am learning, probably both.
Last edited by wernersen; Feb 06, 2012 at 01:32 PM.