Feb 26, 2012, 08:24 PM
manual flying apologist
looks good, i might pickup a HX9V as a backup to my Nex-5n and a little better than my GoPro 1 and 2...

too many cameras

the rubberbands are to keep the landing gear from doing the splits on a hard landing?
to remove ads between posts
Feb 26, 2012, 09:00 PM
Destroyer of G-10
Gary seem to have bit of pool noodle shake, so by tying them together, it keeps the shakes down. (changes the resonance)

cool video gary. you really got it nicely dialed in. after I take bunch of pics tomorrow with different available combos that will be offered, I will finish setting up mine with naza on the camera mount. then see about tuning it in.
Last edited by askman; Feb 26, 2012 at 09:12 PM.
Feb 26, 2012, 09:59 PM
Not too bad Gary. That looked like active stabilization in the cam, right?
For a fc board to really work right, it has to be mounted to the same plane as the camera. Just like you wouldn't try to fly your quad with the fc on the stabilized camera gimbal, you shouldn't let the fc on the quad control the gimbal. It's basically just guessing from the difference between ad reading and stick position.
My fy-20 has full turn pots... ?
Feb 26, 2012, 10:01 PM
manual flying apologist
yes the FY-20 does but 1/2 is one direction and the other 1/2 is the other direction.....

here is my latest attempt. you can see the FC is still giving too much noise to the gimbal..... props are all balanced as well as I can. I am thinking the motor bells need to be balanced... so I might try the laser trick, we shall see.

I also might just throw the FY-30a on the gimbal to see what that is like, since this is my temp/test rig anyways
Test Flight after balancing props again! (4 min 57 sec)

i see the potential, just need to kill the vibes. I am impressed with the NAZA kit and how little vibrations it seems to have.
Last edited by Adidas4275; Feb 26, 2012 at 10:12 PM.
Feb 26, 2012, 11:15 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275
looks good, i might pickup a HX9V as a backup to my Nex-5n and a little better than my GoPro 1 and 2...

too many cameras

the rubberbands are to keep the landing gear from doing the splits on a hard landing?
I'm looking forward to your tests with using an HF Pro as a standalone gimbal controller. I'm impressed with the amount of control they provide in the PC app.

Andrey is right. I was getting a weird resonance/vibration from the pool noodles, and these go away with the rubber bands. I think we're going to add a cross brace, to be used with the noodles.

-- Gary
Feb 26, 2012, 11:26 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by MauiNate
Not too bad Gary. That looked like active stabilization in the cam, right?
For a fc board to really work right, it has to be mounted to the same plane as the camera. Just like you wouldn't try to fly your quad with the fc on the stabilized camera gimbal, you shouldn't let the fc on the quad control the gimbal. It's basically just guessing from the difference between ad reading and stick position.
My fy-20 has full turn pots... ?
Look again. This is with the XA FC/AHRS mounted on the gimbal.

I do agree, however, that using the platform FC to drive the gimbal is definitely not as effective as using a dedicated gimbal controller. Getting rid of the vibes completely is really, really hard.

-- Gary
Feb 26, 2012, 11:28 PM
manual flying apologist
the only problem is the size of the controller.... it will fit on top of the battery mount... so ill get on that.

it will only be temporary as that FC will go into another build shortly. The new gimbal controller is suppose to have a different program installed for controlling the gimbal.
Feb 26, 2012, 11:41 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Adidas4275
yes the FY-20 does but 1/2 is one direction and the other 1/2 is the other direction.....

here is my latest attempt. you can see the FC is still giving too much noise to the gimbal..... props are all balanced as well as I can. I am thinking the motor bells need to be balanced... so I might try the laser trick, we shall see.

I also might just throw the FY-30a on the gimbal to see what that is like, since this is my temp/test rig anyways
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcFG-_sTKI0

i see the potential, just need to kill the vibes. I am impressed with the NAZA kit and how little vibrations it seems to have.
Is this using the HoverFly Pro, or the Naza? If it is the former, I think I'd try adding more dampening/isolation. That's a lot of vibration.

-- Gary
Feb 27, 2012, 12:30 AM
manual flying apologist
Quote:
Originally Posted by GGoodrum
Is this using the HoverFly Pro, or the Naza? If it is the former, I think I'd try adding more dampening/isolation. That's a lot of vibration.

-- Gary
I will shoot video tomorrow with the servos on but not connected to the HFpro.

the Y-6 flys very well.... smooth and not twitchy. The vibration seems to be magnified by the HFPro gimbal stabilization. I have a lot of dampining as it it.

Rubber vibration isolating mounts and foam gyro tape..... and like 4 hrs of prop balancing. my FPV camera hot glued to the frame doesnt vibrate this much
Feb 27, 2012, 01:12 AM
Thread OP
The thing is, that it doesn't look like normal prop/motor-induced vibrations, which usually show up more as "jello". This looks more like the FC trying to send "corrections" to the servos. I was seeing the same sort of thing with the WK-M, but not anywhere near this bad.

What sort of frame are you using? Is there a lot of flex? Can you grab the motor and twist it more than about 5 degrees?

-- Gary
Feb 27, 2012, 01:42 AM
manual flying apologist
My temp rig is rustys frame (aglhobbies) and the boo are fairly tight. I can spin them with some force.

I do agree its not vibrations getting to the camera but rather vibrations getting to the FC and the FC is sending twitchy movements to the servos.

I am building 2 RC carbon Y6s that will have less flex and I am doing my best to mount the FC in a way that will isolate any vibrations.

I'll get it to work
Feb 27, 2012, 03:59 AM
You should try sliding the mount backwards so the camera hangs beneath the center plates.
With it sitting out front it is being hit with prop wash. Its worth a try to see how much the image improves.
Feb 27, 2012, 11:02 AM
Destroyer of G-10
i've been talking to seismic and i remember the post by dexxquad about soft mounting the motor. vibration is the constant enemy for us. we really need way to squash it.
Feb 27, 2012, 12:47 PM
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paul@SCC
You should try sliding the mount backwards so the camera hangs beneath the center plates.
With it sitting out front it is being hit with prop wash. Its worth a try to see how much the image improves.
I'm not sure about where Adidas' gimbal is positioned, but on the F550 setup, the camera is back far enough that prop wash is not an issue. I just don't see the same sort of vibe levels he's seeing at all. Adidas, how is your setup connected to the frame? One late change we've made for the F550 and F450 mounts is to add rubber grommets in the slots on the F550 lower plate. The bolts from the landing gear legs go up through these grommets, so there's a 2nd layer of dampening now, with a different range of resonant frequencies than the isolators used on the gimbal mounting plate. Although this doesn't look like it would help the problem of reducing the vibes getting to the FC, it actually did on my setup. I think there was a feedback issue I had where the an oscillation was being caused by the LG vibrating. Isolating the LG made this go away.

I like Andrey's idea about trying to isolate the motors. This would definitely reduce, if not totally eliminate, the problem of vibes getting to the FC and causing gimbal "corrections".

Here's another view of the same gimbal test I did yesterday:

F550 HX-9V Gimbal Test-01a.mp4 (0 min 43 sec)

Today, weather permitting (it is very windy at the moment...), I will do a test flight. to see how well this HX9V works in this setup. I think I have the gains about as close as I can get them.

-- Gary
Feb 27, 2012, 01:33 PM
John
That's looking quite good Gary. I think that is the best yet. -- JOHN

Quick Reply