May 12, 2012, 10:34 AM
Inanity-Free Zone
Thread OP

3D Hobby Shop 104" AJ Slick Repair

Team,

This repair or set of repairs came my way two weeks ago although the whole discussion with Noll Smith started several months back with the damage of the first 104 by the shipping company. It wasn't too far in the future when the next plane was returned damaged by the same shipper. At this point it was getting ridiculous. These are $1,000.00 airframes that don't come to 3DHS like the smaller planes they offer. They are massive and just can't be thrown in the mail box with a few stamps.

I looked the the first plane several times on visits to the warehouse and considered a repair project but the damage centered around the turtledeck scared me. It turns out that the construction of the turtledeck is balsa sheating over foam. The plane is very strong but the once this material is broken it deforms and must be replaced.

Then Noll calls and informs me that there is a third 104 that is need of repair. This plane was damaged in the motor box area after the pilot was doing a bit of "agricultural work."

So, as it stands I have three identical 104" AJ Slicks taking up huge amounts of real estate in my workshop. Now to work. This project needs a name and the planes need names or some kind of name for identification purposes.

This got posted before it was finished and the pictures added
Last edited by RCMC; May 12, 2012 at 11:51 AM.
to remove ads between posts
May 12, 2012, 10:41 AM
Epoxy & CA Investor
Perhaps some 104s in the next garage sale?

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMC
Team,

This repair or set of repairs came my way two weeks ago although the whole discussion with Noll Smith started several months back with the damage of the first 104 by the shipping company. It wasn't too far in the future when the next plane was returned damaged by the same shipper. At this point it was getting ridiculous. These are $1,000.00 airframes that don't come to 3DHS like the smaller planes they offer. They are massive and just can't be thrown in the mail box with a few stamps.

I looked the the first plane several times on visits to the warehouse and considered a repair project but the damage centered around the turtledeck scared me. It turns out that the construction of the turtledeck is balsa sheating over foam. The plane is very strong but the once this material is broken it deforms and must be replaced.

Then Noll calls and informs me that there is a third 104 that is need of repair. This plane was damaged in the motor box area after the pilot was doing a bit of "agricultural work."

So, as it stands I have three identical 104" AJ Slicks taking up huge amounts of real estate in my workshop. Now to work. This project needs a name and the planes need names or some kind of name for identification purposes.
May 12, 2012, 11:20 AM
Inanity-Free Zone
Thread OP

Team,

So, as it stands I have three identical 104" AJ Slicks taking up huge amounts of real estate in my workshop. Now to work. This project needs a name or the planes need names for identification purposes. At first thought, "The Three Stooges", Larry, Moe, & Curly...nah, to silly. Then I thought "The Marx Brothers", Groucho, Chico & Harpo...nah to cerebral. Then I thought "The Andrews Sisters." That would work Andrew(s) sisters, Maxene, Patty & LaVerne.

Here is the work: "Maxene" is the first plane to be damaged and has damage to the tail at the turtledeck. "Patty" was crushed by the shipper in front of the turtledeck and is not worth saving; so I hope to replace the "Maxene" tail with the tail from "Patty." This will give me at least one good fuse from the two planes. I'll discribe how this can be done later; please review the pictures attached. "LaVerne" will be a motor box replacement further down the road.

This will be a time consuming project and I will get started in earnest after school is out for the summer.

RCMV
Last edited by RCMC; May 12, 2012 at 11:46 AM.
May 12, 2012, 11:50 AM
Inanity-Free Zone
Thread OP
Going4speed,

Great minds run in pairs.

RCMC

Quote:
Originally Posted by going4speed
May 12, 2012, 11:52 AM
Inanity-Free Zone
Thread OP
Or is it...Great minds run impaired?
May 12, 2012, 11:55 AM
3DHS 'native'
the second one me thinks
May 13, 2012, 02:37 PM
TEAM TWISTED
Quote:
Originally Posted by RCMC
Or is it...Great minds run impaired?
Impaired it is...

Hope to be at the Lums Pond IMAC event which is actually on the 9th and 10th of June. If you can get over there, maybe you could bring the project planes for a little show and tell to help us all understand some of your building concepts. We would love to see some of these in progress.

We will be in touch after Nall on some of the other things we were going over.

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!
May 13, 2012, 03:27 PM
Inanity-Free Zone
Thread OP
Quote:
Originally Posted by ROLLING CIRCLE
Impaired it is...

Hope to be at the Lums Pond IMAC event which is actually on the 9th and 10th of June. If you can get over there, maybe you could bring the project planes for a little show and tell to help us all understand some of your building concepts. We would love to see some of these in progress.

We will be in touch after Nall on some of the other things we were going over.

Thanks for all your help!!!!!!!
ROLLING CIRCLE

I hope to be out there cheering on Chris and 3D Hobby Shop.

As far as hauling the 104's to Lums Pond, I'm not sure how far along I'll be with the repair in early June. Regardless there will be pictures and text in this thread.

RCMC
May 13, 2012, 05:11 PM
Inanity-Free Zone
Thread OP

3D Hobby Shop 74" Edge 540 Elevator and Stabilizer Repair

Team,

I was asked to make this repair on this 74" Edge that had a run in with a folding table that shifted in the trailer on the return trip from SEFF.

There was actually two repairs on this plane. The first was the rudder that was removed on a low past over the runway. The second repair was to the left side elevator and stablizer after the table incident.

I was able to get a new elevator and stab assembly from the replacement parts stock at the shop so the fix was on.

The pictures attached center on the stab replacement as there is a full set of posts that show an elevator installation on earlier pages of this thread.

RCMC
Last edited by RCMC; Sep 18, 2012 at 07:41 PM.
May 15, 2012, 06:42 PM
Inanity-Free Zone
Thread OP

Team,

I got started sooner than I originally planned; the creative juices started to flow and I just had to see how difficult it was going to be to separate the dovetails I found in the middle of the fuse.

I started in the front of Maxene removing the old turtledeck and cleaning up the dovetails on the right and left side of the fuse. The pictures will tell the story better than the text.

The early stages of this repair isn't very photogenic since the plane is so big. As I start to attach the new tail section to the existing front the fuse will begin to take shape

RCMC
May 15, 2012, 08:40 PM
I wish I had that much patience!
May 15, 2012, 09:02 PM
great nice threat...

Km, I here to learn : )
May 15, 2012, 09:49 PM
3DHS 'native'
so how are you building up the back end of that slick if you're getting rid of the tail?

Sorry must have missed that part.
May 15, 2012, 09:57 PM
Irg
Irg
ol' yellow eyes is back
tail transplant from a patient that was basically DOA.

Quick Reply