Aero L-39 / L-59 Albatros 90mm EDF composite by CMP (RC Aerodyne / Hobbyking L-59) - Page 15 - RC Groups
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by Herb, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Jun 15, 2012, 11:16 PM
Spektrum Fan Club
SlayerNZ's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by BulletMaster
Mine didn't survive the postal system It's with HK support at the moment... hope I get a new fuse & inlets for it...
Can you let me know how you got on with CS, mine is also destroyed in transit, am just about to contact Them.
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Jun 16, 2012, 10:18 AM
chillax! It's only a Hobby
1moparman1's Avatar
Herb just got the yellow wing tip tanks
Only took them three try's
Hey, they still have one of the best services around
Just got the Hacker ME 309
WOW! What a nice plane.
Latest blog entry: Hk cri cri
Jun 16, 2012, 12:10 PM
Lithium Member
Herb's Avatar
Hey Mopar, that is good

It's sad to see so many people falling prey to some of the vendors shipping policies. Using flimsy boxes to ship composite airframes that get regularly trashed in transit.

The reality is that the packing needs to be VERY GOOD to survive international air shipping, and it clearly is NOT as it would be TOO HEAVY. This is not a foam plane.

Previous cases :

* CMP T-45, as shipped by Nitroplanes : https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...1343999&pp=100

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=512

https://www.rcgroups.com/forums/show...&postcount=511

* CMP Hawk as shipped by Hobbyking (pages and pages of trashed boxes and models)

* CMP L-39/L-59 from HK is the latest string of crushed boxes

With so many instances, it obviously can't be an "accident" any more
Jun 17, 2012, 09:52 AM
In the pipe 5 by 5...
urrl's Avatar
Just curious as to what level of shipping you guys are using and what company.
USPS, UPS or other?
Ground, 3 day or other?
I know the packing is lousy though, mine was poorly packed and the box on the outside looked like it went thru hell but luckily the L-39 contents were undamaged in both cases.
Jun 22, 2012, 11:34 AM
In the pipe 5 by 5...
urrl's Avatar
Upgraded from 6S to 8S
L-39 jet 8S speed test flight (0 min 37 sec)
Jun 22, 2012, 01:07 PM
chillax! It's only a Hobby
1moparman1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl
That is much better
i still wish i had a nice runway as yours
Where are you at?
Latest blog entry: Hk cri cri
Jun 22, 2012, 01:29 PM
Lithium Member
Herb's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moparman1
Herb just got the yellow wing tip tanks ...
Hey Mopar, Hope to get to the new wing soon ... I have most of the bits I need now.

I am still keeping the old wing intact so that I can fly the L-39 in the meantime.
Jun 22, 2012, 03:07 PM
chillax! It's only a Hobby
1moparman1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
Hey Mopar, Hope to get to the new wing soon ... I have most of the bits I need now.

I am still keeping the old wing intact so that I can fly the L-39 in the meantime.
Herb I got the new wing and all parts to do the work now
But, i just got on the Hacker ME 309 last week
check out my built log on here- Hacker ME 309
This will be my first blog I will go slow ( for me)
Latest blog entry: Hk cri cri
Jun 23, 2012, 01:36 PM
In the pipe 5 by 5...
urrl's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by 1moparman1
That is much better
i still wish i had a nice runway as yours
Where are you at?
It's called Markham Park located in Weston Florida.
Jun 23, 2012, 06:58 PM
chillax! It's only a Hobby
1moparman1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl
It's called Markham Park located in Weston Florida.
I need to get out more
too busy with my job
Latest blog entry: Hk cri cri
Jun 23, 2012, 07:37 PM
chillax! It's only a Hobby
1moparman1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herb
Hey Mopar, Hope to get to the new wing soon ... I have most of the bits I need now.

I am still keeping the old wing intact so that I can fly the L-39 in the meantime.
Herb
How about i sent my new wing down to you and you can do both
Latest blog entry: Hk cri cri
Jun 25, 2012, 01:41 PM
Lithium Member
Herb's Avatar
Mopar

I've had a few issues with my struts on Saturday ... one of the struts disintegrated on takeoff

I've JB-welded now the collars to the struts, and put a new steel clip (one flew of on the takeoff presumably).

Also, the foam mpi wheels I was using are too soft. And the one that come with the struts are way too hard for grass / dirt.

I switched to a set of new CMP wheels that are soft but not too soft ... We shall see

.
Jun 27, 2012, 03:49 AM
In the pipe 5 by 5...
urrl's Avatar
I noticed full metal retracts arrived at Hobbyking. I'm still on the lookout for the hardest wheels possible for the Markham Park concrete runway. My jet is constanly eating up the rubber on the wing tires.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...and_L_59_.html
Spent $300 in their SU-35.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Too windy to maiden just yet though.
I still have the old L-39 6S fan and stock L-39 motor along with a spare ESC but I would need some spare struts to either repair my second L-39 or buy that CMP BAE hawk body. I've spent way too much money this month to keep buying stuff though.


Just finished reinforcing and re-skinning the wings on my L-39 for the 4th time. I misjudged take-off distance using a 6S battery, which will still work on the 8S system but takes much longer to lift off. I hit the grass and one wing mount dislodged a bit but thanks to previous reinforcing and sheeted plywood on the tops of the wings there was no major damage or wing penetration from the struts/wheels thru the top of the wing.
Last edited by urrl; Jun 27, 2012 at 04:19 AM.
Jun 27, 2012, 09:19 AM
chillax! It's only a Hobby
1moparman1's Avatar
Quote:
Originally Posted by urrl
I noticed full metal retracts arrived at Hobbyking. I'm still on the lookout for the hardest wheels possible for the Markham Park concrete runway. My jet is constanly eating up the rubber on the wing tires.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...and_L_59_.html
Spent $300 in their SU-35.
http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...arehouse_.html

Too windy to maiden just yet though.
I still have the old L-39 6S fan and stock L-39 motor along with a spare ESC but I would need some spare struts to either repair my second L-39 or buy that CMP BAE hawk body. I've spent way too much money this month to keep buying stuff though.


Just finished reinforcing and re-skinning the wings on my L-39 for the 4th time. I misjudged take-off distance using a 6S battery, which will still work on the 8S system but takes much longer to lift off. I hit the grass and one wing mount dislodged a bit but thanks to previous reinforcing and sheeted plywood on the tops of the wings there was no major damage or wing penetration from the struts/wheels thru the top of the wing.
I have that CMP Hawk in a box waiting for me to get to it
I'll get to it some day
Latest blog entry: Hk cri cri
Jul 03, 2012, 12:16 PM
Lithium Member
Herb's Avatar

CMP L-39 / L-59 Defective Wing / Design Flaw


As I mentioned before, RC Aerodyne sent me an L-39 / L-59 replacement wing since the original has a fundamental design flaw that needs to be fixed.

The problem is

(a) the retract mount is anchored in part on the top wing balsa skin; this is not easy to fix since any beefing up will result in the retract unit no longer fitting depth-wise.

(b) the retract mount is connected at the back to a thin balsa rib that's not even connected to the top balsa skin, as there isn't any there

This looks to me like a clear design defect; I suppose they messed up in the design stage and did the laser cutting of ply and balsa wrong .

To fix the above problems I think I need to:

(1) remove the covering at the bottom in the right places (see pic below) ;

(2) add a thick top skin where it's needed, next to the flimsy balsa rib ;

(3) use ply or balsa doublers on that flimsy balsa rib ;

(4) strengthen the top skin right above (under) the retract .

.

Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion L-39 90mm EDF rctoday Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 6 Dec 09, 2011 05:25 PM
Wanted WANTED A NICE 90MM EDF KIT like the red/wht HET L-39 I have a TJ100 PNP I'll trade. mechengineer03 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Jul 23, 2011 06:44 PM
For Sale K&A L-39 Albatros EDF kit richardc951 Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 0 Jun 01, 2011 07:16 PM
Wanted L-39 Savex Albatros 90mm EDF carl rich Aircraft - Electric - Jets (FS/W) 1 Oct 17, 2007 08:23 PM