My first scratch built foamie (S.E.5.a) - RC Groups
Jan 26, 2012, 01:50 AM
Build Log

My first scratch built foamie (S.E.5.a)

I've been building stick built micro planes for a few months now. I've been building balsa FF models for quite a few years and I'm quite comfortable with their constriction.

For my next project I've decided to step out of my comfort zone and try my hand at foam. The only foam that I have ready access to is Midwest Products 3mm 88 cell foam. I'm not sure how it compares to other foams, but for $6 its a pretty cheap way to start.

I went with the SE5a because its a pretty simple design, the only curves are its turtle deck which seem pretty strait forward to build. I pulled up a 3 view and started cutting. It seems that you can make pretty quick progress, after only a few hours I have most of the major structures complete.

I'll be using an AR6400, Sukhoi motor/gearbox, 1.7g linear servo for ailerons, and a Turnigy 160mAh. The wingspan will be 18 in.

I'm not sure what glues most people use, but so far I have been using Gorilla glue and a bit of foam safe CA. I've not used Gorilla glue before and it does not sand quite as well as I hoped.
to remove ads between posts
Jan 26, 2012, 04:00 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
tachy glues works well. wood glue is very good, but heavy.

6 dollars! i get a 20X 30 sheet at dollar tree, for, you guessed it, a dollar.

i personally dont use depron much, as the dollar tree foam is real easy to peel the paper off.
its heaver than depron, and a little weaker (ive bee told.)
it sands more liek wood.

my finger are cold and dont want to work right. ugh.
Jan 26, 2012, 06:49 AM
GymDandy Flyer
Hi, Eclipse_7
Looking great! Keep up the good work.
Just keep in mind for indoor, the Lighter it is, the Better it will Fly.
Keep Them Flying ! , Ken
Jan 26, 2012, 03:40 PM
P. Seitz
I like it another convert to foam ! you can use foam struts if you glue a piece of .020 carbon fiber to the inside. I've bounced my Neuport off it's nose from 20' bent the motor shaft . All the struts and upper wing stayed in place.

Paul
Jan 26, 2012, 06:16 PM
Hey Paul,
Looking good so far. I use UHU glue and CA with a kicker. I also use Elmers for the LG struts. I'd taper all L & TE's esp in the tail to help lighted up if you can get a thiner (Depron foam plate) for the tail areas that would help too. I guess it depends on your WS. 3mm is thick except fo the wings. At 3 mm you also should not need any formers I never use any except for maybe a motor mount. I use 2mm for the wings and fuselage 1mm for the tail areas my WS are usually 14-15" max using PZ e-gear and P-51 motor/gearbox.

Keep it going.

Pete
Jan 26, 2012, 07:16 PM
Thanks for the encouragement and ideas. I may replace the tail feathers with something a bit thinner. I'm not sure what store locally would sell UHU glue.

I was planning to build it 4 ch. since I dont have a TX that can mix rudder to aileron. I'm starting to think I should just build it 3 ch. to save a bit of weight and just live with flying mode 1 on this particular airplane.

I had been meaning to ask you mtflyr, Ive seen the aileron pushrod set up you have used on your airplanes and I know the guide tube is some small diameter teflon tubing, but what is the actual push rod made from?
Jan 26, 2012, 07:44 PM
an idea is guitar strings. in the us, # 13 work great.

try to build nose heavy. its easy to push the CG back. hard to bring it up front.
Jan 26, 2012, 08:36 PM

Another foam freak checks in

Eclipse 7,
Glad to see you building with foam. I'm a fan of depron for indoor micros and park flyers. I agree that weight is crucial to an indoor micro flyer but even more important is wing loading. One of the other guys in my club "Michael in Toronto" flys a 20 oz. foam Cub indoors...it has a 6 foot wingspan so the wing loading is low even for a micro.
My most recent indoor is a depron Waco SRE which weighs 68g in the air...heavy by micro standards, except the WS is 24" bringing the wingloading into the 3-3.5 oz/ft2 range. I'm working on a 33" depron model which I'm hoping to fly with an AR6400 and the 8.4/8.4mm brushed motor from the Horizon Hobby micros. I've attached pics of my Waco on its maiden...please show us more pics of the SE5!
Bill
Jan 27, 2012, 02:05 PM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill Quantock
Eclipse 7,
Glad to see you building with foam. I'm a fan of depron for indoor micros and park flyers. I agree that weight is crucial to an indoor micro flyer but even more important is wing loading. One of the other guys in my club "Michael in Toronto" flys a 20 oz. foam Cub indoors...it has a 6 foot wingspan so the wing loading is low even for a micro.
My most recent indoor is a depron Waco SRE which weighs 68g in the air...heavy by micro standards, except the WS is 24" bringing the wingloading into the 3-3.5 oz/ft2 range. I'm working on a 33" depron model which I'm hoping to fly with an AR6400 and the 8.4/8.4mm brushed motor from the Horizon Hobby micros. I've attached pics of my Waco on its maiden...please show us more pics of the SE5!
Bill
Thanks Bill, it was actually the video of your Waco in action that caught my attention. Its a superbly slow flying airplane! I have some sort of deficiency where I love slow airplanes, I even find myself flying higher performance planes near their stall just to see how slow I can putt around.

I tossed the airframe so far on the scale and it is quite portly 34g. I have already run into the tail heavy issue. I'm going to move the Rx up against the firewall to help that. I also picked up some materials today. I got some generic foam plates to rebuild the tail feathers with, and whole pack of guitar strings (were actually cheaper than the plates). I didn't find any UHU glue though.
Jan 27, 2012, 05:10 PM
Eclip,

I use bead wire the blue coating you can find it at Michaels arts & crafts stores.

I'd go 3 channel to save weight since you are already at 30+

Pete
Jan 27, 2012, 06:49 PM
if your using 3mm foam, try sanding the aft bits of it. you dont need all that strength in the tail, sand it down. even rounding the edges will make a difference.
100 grit is you friend, then his best friend is 220 grit. sand in only one direction and very lightly. it will take a while.
Jan 27, 2012, 10:16 PM

Portly? maybe not...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eclipse_7
Thanks Bill, it was actually the video of your Waco in action that caught my attention. Its a superbly slow flying airplane! I have some sort of deficiency where I love slow airplanes, I even find myself flying higher performance planes near their stall just to see how slow I can putt around.

I tossed the airframe so far on the scale and it is quite portly 34g. I have already run into the tail heavy issue. I'm going to move the Rx up against the firewall to help that. I also picked up some materials today. I got some generic foam plates to rebuild the tail feathers with, and whole pack of guitar strings (were actually cheaper than the plates). I didn't find any UHU glue though.
Eclipse,
Don't panic about weight until you figure out the wingloading. If you're in the 3-4 oz/ft2 it'll fly slowly and you SE5a has a lot more wing area than an RTF micro. I love slow flying airplanes too! I've attached a video of my Sparrowhawk...73g in the air using an AR6400, and other electrics from a departed 4-Site and I think it flys as slowly or slower than the Waco. It was my first scratch built foamie.
Have fun! Fly with light wing loading!
Bill
P.S. I don't work for Google but if you watch this video using Chrome as a browser, the plane flys slower and more smooothly than if you're using IE.
03 Bill's Sparrowhawk jan 15, 2012 (1 min 21 sec)
Last edited by Bill Quantock; Jan 28, 2012 at 02:22 PM. Reason: spelling
Jan 28, 2012, 04:49 AM
i second that. dont worrry about the weight untill you fly it, you might like it. the trojan when laden with 30 grams of extra weight flies like a full scale plane, not like a toy. (its amazing what 1000mah battery will do for your flight time)
Feb 02, 2012, 10:29 PM

1/24 scale Sopwith pilot

Hello Mtflyer,

I am new to this forum and just complete a Sopwith purchased from Jinwoo Choe. He told me that you sell some nice pilot for such occasion.

Can you please tell me how I can acces to see your product and how to buy one from you.

Thanks,
David
Feb 03, 2012, 10:20 AM
-=BS=-
Nice!
don't forget the Lewis gun
a SE5 just doesn't look right without a top plane gun

I have the tripe, and the FZ RTFs. 18" ws sounds "big" to me